Staying the Course -- 01/01/2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
So getting a little ahead of the Times Square hoopla and declaring 2020 is the course on which we now proceed. Wishing all a healthy and happy New Year.

Mine starts off with me battling the creeping crud. As usual, I fretted about cold meds I could use that wouldn't send the INR out of therapeutic range. So I contacted the nurse practitioner for my surgery up at Chapel Hill and she specified a particular kind of Mucinex and a dose of Benadryl at bedtime to help with sleep.So far this seems to be working well. The symptoms are easing with uncommon alacrity. (Just had to use that word --been stowed away a long time.) : )

DW and I and the dogs and cat will be ringing in the new year in quiet fashion tonight. Watching TV, enjoying a fw munchies, sipping a little champagne. Hope there won't be too many neighborhood fireworks. Rattles the dawgs.

May peace be with us all.

Happy New Year.

Stay the course!

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

Hello fine friends, and happy new year! I hope everyone had a safe one.

Mathias got a good report from his cardio on the 19th of Dec...sorry I have been inactive since then. Its been incredibly busy for us! But in any case we don't have to see the cardiologist for a year! Yahoo!

We picked up a foster puppy on the 19th which has been what's taking most of my time. She is a sweet girl, we love her dearly. She started declining on the first night I had her, and I knew something was up. Got some testing done and found out she is battling kidney disease. At only 10 weeks old! The vets are hopeful that if we get in front of it though, that she can have a relatively normal life. So the first two nights I slept in the laundry room holding her and feeding her every chance I could get. There were also a lot of "dont you die on me" and "if love cures all" conversations between she and I those nights. But she pulled through! My dear family has elected to take her on forever as a final refuge. We weren't sure how limiting it would be for her to be at the shelter or if she would ever get adopted knowing what kind of ongoing care she needs. So, here she will stay (with my parents, but close to home anyway)! Whether she has 10 days or 10 years, we are doing everything we can for her so she can be a normal, happy puppy. I have a wishlist going if anyone wants to take a look. And, if you have experience with this, recommendations for her care and the wishlist are always welcome!

Prim's Wishlist

Aside from Prim puppy's drama, our holidays were about as good as they could be. Pretty relaxed as Mathias got a head cold. We used it as an excuse to head home early from get togethers and just spend time with one another. We booked where we are staying after our wedding, my mom has ordered me some flowers for the wedding, our officiant is officially an officiant. My sister has my bachelorette party planned with some of my best girlfriends that I'm very excited for. So lots has been happening on that front. Just using the time off to reconnect with those closest to me, and of course attempting to save the young life of a little puppy mill puppy.

We are so looking forward to 2020, they say it'll be a year to remember. I certainly hope we all will remember it for all the amazing, happy, good things that are happening!

Lots of love to all of you on here. Thank you for having each others back in 2019 and continuing your kindness into 2020.

Attachments

• 20191224_120635.jpg
    20191224_120635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
  • 20191223_131937.jpg
    20191223_131937.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20191230_191223_139.jpg
    IMG_20191230_191223_139.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 327
Happy New Year to everyone. Looks like I gained some weight during the holidays, maybe 3 lbs. I don't know if it was from Christmas or the short cruise we took. I have 2 weeks off this year with holidays and vacation time. I'm trying to run/walk most days. Today was 3 hilly miles. I did 11 miles on the 3 full days we were on the cruise.
Turned 63 over the holidays.
Hope it's a good year for everyone.
Martin

Belated birthday wishes, Martin! Superbob, happy to hear that you are recuperating with alacrity.😉 LMBH, we’re also dealing with canine issues. Our daughter and son in law adopted another puppy from the Humane Society a week before Christmas. This is the ninth saved over the course of their 20 year marriage and brings to three currently living in their household. Carter, part Lab, part Great Dane pictured below, has kennel cough but is almost recovered. Yoshi, our beloved pit bull, is suffering from life threatening pneumonia. It has been a difficult week. I hope that the rest of our Stay the Coursers are faring better. BB9F4D67-0A1C-4821-8D49-624DB6909009.jpeg

Duffey and LMBH -- re the canine health problems -- wishing you and the doggies the best possible outcomes. Let me share my own dilemma. I would appreciate your thoughts.

For 3 or 4 years now, my wife and I have been the caretakers for the sweet, wonderful yellow lab Dasher, who is beloved by hundreds of people as a result of being the mascot for youth tournament baseball games here at the beach. As a result of a divorce and then remarriage to a gal who already had two dogs herself, my son has been unable to house Dasher so we have gladly been his home, where he has become buds with my own retriever, Ellie.

Okay, sadly, over the past month or so, Dasher has come down with a malady involving his right rear leg. He limps badly, sometimes even keeping it off the ground to avoid putting weight on it. My son has taken him to a vet of his choice. They did expensive imaging tests and found no breaks, and thought maybe he had suffered a bad sprain. I have been giving him the (also expensive) pain meds (three different kinds of them) and they make him sleepy, but there is little or no discernible treatment.

Although there has been no official diagnosis, the likelihood seems to be that Dasher has hip dysplasia, a common affliction for labrador retrievers. My son says his vet has discussed that with him and they have talked about putting Dasher down. I know that the surgeries -- even including hip replacement -- are ultra expensive and then rehab on top of that could be distressingly painful in itself, especially for an older dog like Dasher, who was born in 2010. I am not in favor of going the surgical route -- not just because of finances, but because of the pain of a long recovery for an old dog. However, I have repeatedly offered to take Dasher to my own very good vet (a U/Tennessee vet school alumna) to get a second opinion, a definite diagnosis, and an assessment of chances to help Dasher through physical therapy, weight loss, etc. Repeatedly, my son has turned down the offer, and says he is taking Dash to his vet tomorrow morning to have him put down. His new wife (who has had little contact with Dasher but seems to be very cost-conscious) is all for this outcome -- saying that they and the grandkids are coming over today to say a grand goodbye to Dasher.

This is his dog, and I suppose therefore his decision, but I still think another vet's opinion, a definite diagnosis, and a consideration of nonsurgical options constitute a reasonable course before a sentence of death.

It's Sunday and I don't know if this will be read by any of our Coursers. But anyway I have had a chance to vent. and if any of you dear friends have thoughts, I would love to hear them. My heart is mended, but my emotional heart is breaking. We love Dasher. My wife, who is in extremely fragile health herself, considers hm her care dog. (Below is one of my favorite pictures of Dasher, doing his thing at a baseball diamond.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to be reading this. Dasher sounds like a loveable, goofy boy like most labs are. I am not a huge fan of pain killers for dogs unless it's a particularly painful day for them as they build a tolerance so fast and there isnt much wiggle room for increase in dosage. A medication that worked really well for my mastiff when he was going through osteosarcoma (a beast of a disease, incredibly painful and quick to metastasize) was gabapentin. Its works along side a pain killer with the nerve receptors in your brain to dull or completely wipe out any pain they may have. It also has a huge range of safe dosage, which makes it easy to increase if they need a little extra. Might be worth asking your sons vet about. There are also injectable medications like apoquel that can be helpful for older dogs. There are also places that will take blood from the patient, spin it down, and inject the separated plasma into the affected joint(s). Newer treatment, but can be extremely effective.

That being said, I still am not a fan of prescriptions meds at all, so I have lots of supplement recommendations. Hope that's okay! I use a company called Springrime Supplements. They are a small company and their supplements WORK. For Dashers case, I would recommend the joint health chewable, j-flex concentrate, advance joint health, or longevity. What's amazing about this company is that you can use all of these supplements in succession, or by themselves and you dont have to worry about overdosing. My pitbull was trambled by a horse as a puppy and it completely busted his shoulder. He couldn't put weight on it after it healed for the majority of the winter, and certainly couldn't run and play like a young dog should. I gave him these tables at 3x the dose for 1 week and there was marked improvement. Even more so after two weeks. Might be worth a try if you can "buy" some time.

Lots of folks also swear by CBD oil, which can work if you get a reputable brand. New York Bully Crew makes a high concentration one that works nicely. Most dispensaries, if cannabis is legal in your state, also carry very good CBD options. They also will carry tinctures that also have some THC in it. They have been using CBD and THC tincture combos for years in Europe on canines and it has been extremely helpful for many patients. If you elect or are able to go this route, I would recommend a ration of CBD:THC of 3:1 or 5:1. Makes them not so sleepy with less THC.

Sorry to be long winded! Animals are where my heart is, so I definitely know the pain you and your wonderful wife are in. Not only is it so difficult to watch something you care deeply for navigate life in pain with no clear light at the end of the tunnel, but trying to help and having your assistance be negated is frustrating and soul crushing. I understand wanting to pull out the stops. I adore my dog, he is my soul mate, he knows what I'm thinking, he takes care of me and keeps me smiling. Seeing him in any state other than 110% is bothersome. I understand. I sincerely hope you can get your son to consider relinquishing ownership to you so you can try a little bit more for Dasher. However, if the time comes and sweet Dasher is to meet the rainbow bridge, there are veterinarians that travel to euthanize. A bit more expensive, but more comfortable for everyone involved. It's the only way I will consider making that decision for my precious fur babies. It really makes it easier, if it can ever be easier. Also, know that sweet Dasher will never be far. I like to believe that they leave the planet for a little while and watch you...your needs, your grieving...and they come back to you. Whether it be a new friend you meet at exersice class, or a lost dog that finds it's way to you, some flowers that bloom when they shouldn't, Dasher will never be far. Call me foo foo or hippie if you want, but if you really try you will see and meet him again.

I hope the very best outcome in the scenario. I really do. You spread your kindness and I wish the same to be done to you. I hope you get more time, quality, pain-free time, with Dasher. Please let me know if theres anything else I can do or share.
Much love,
Jill

Yoshi, our beloved pit bull, is suffering from life threatening pneumonia. It has been a difficult week. I hope that the rest of our Stay the Coursers are faring better.

Hi Duffey, how's Yoshi? I'm sorry I didnt see your post before now. I hope everyone is on the mend bu now. Pneumonia is rough, I've treated several cases myself and it doesnt get easier to witness. I dearly love pitbulls and have a soft spot for them. Actually, I have a soft spot for all dogs but pitbulls are a favorite. I hope sweet Yoshi is getting over that dreadful illness and getting back to their normal selves. Let me know if theres anything i can do.
Jill

Thanks very much Jill for those good ideas and well wishes. I too am hoping Duffey's Yoshi is getting better. As for Dasher, a family council meeting this evening persuaded my son just to have Dasher checked out by the vet tomorrow, and not put to sleep. Discussions of possible alternatives will ensue, though putting-to-sleep might still turn out to be the most humane solution, given how cruel an affliction hip dysplasia (sp?) can be for labs. What persuaded him to wait at least a week was not me but the tearful pleadings of his children. So we will pray Dash man starts to show progress and not face so much pain. He is peacefully sprawled on a sofa watching me right now.

Bob, we are in a similar situation. Yoshi is our son and granddaughter’s dog, but when they moved to an apartment six years ago that didn’t allow pets, we became his caretakers. Not only does he live with us, but we also pay all bills. Four years ago Yoshi developed a tear in his left hindquarter (can’t remember the name for the condition offhand) which rendered him basically immobile. Similar to Dasher. We live in a split foyer home and I think Yoshi raced up and down the stairs too many times plus jumped in and out of the back of our SUV once too often. We took him to the Mizzou school of veterinary medicine where he underwent surgery to replace the ligament with some type of metal hardware. Surgery was $3600 and Yoshi was not allowed to climb stairs for eight weeks post-op. That was a mess, but we made it through. Would I do it again? Yes, but only once. If anything happened to the other leg, we and Yoshi, would make the best of it. In the meantime we follow the Mizzou vet’s instructions to keep Yoshi’s weight at 60 pounds and make sure that he does not over use his hind legs. Fast forward to the present . . . when they X-rayed Yoshi’s chest 10 days ago for the pneumonia, they also looked at his abdomen. It’s possible that both his kidney and spleen have malignant tumors on them. It’s difficult to see clear images until the chest fluid is absorbed. Our vet said to get him through the pneumonia crisis and then we’ll see. So we have had time to consider our options. I have decided, not our son or granddaughter or even darling husband, that we will do whatever it takes to keep Yoshi alive and at home with us. Many years ago we had our 17 year old poodle put to sleep, but she had lost all her cognitive ability. Yoshi knows exactly what’s going on, and I think we owe it to him to put up a fight. If it were me, @Superbob, I would over rule your son and give Dasher time to see how he fares.

Bob, we are in a similar situation. Yoshi is our son and granddaughter’s dog, but when they moved to an apartment six years ago that didn’t allow pets, we became his caretakers. Not only does he live with us, but we also pay all bills. Four years ago Yoshi developed a tear in his left hindquarter (can’t remember the name for the condition offhand) which rendered him basically immobile.

Sounds like a TPLO surgery, very common in pitbulls. I'm glad you have given and continue to give Yoshi your best fight, he deserves that. I hope the best for Dash and Yoshi! You guys are pulling at my heart! I'm sending all of the good vibes your way. Keep us updated!

Not to my knowledge. My son took Dash to the vet; I had to go to cardiac rehab. (We are an all-medical family)....; ) I will ask him. My daughter is like you, Duffey, she will go to any length to keep a dog going. Right now she is very interested in moving here to our neighborhood in a home that's come on the market. That would be a huge help for us in many respects. As for dog surgeries followed by extensive rehab, I have to say that finances are a consideration for us. But hopefully Dasher does not have any form of cancer, nor any hip malady, and he will respond to anti-inflammatory meds and return to his old happy, jolly, goofy ways again.

Latest posts

Back