statins and bioprosthetic valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doclewis

I have an Edwards Bovine valve placed 4 years ago for bicuspid aortic valve with severe stenosis, and aneurysm of ascending aorta. About a year after surgery my cardiologist put me on statin, saying that there was evidence that statin would make valve last longer. Research on line did say there was some preliminary evidence that this may influence calcification of prosthetic valve. My LDL was only 100 before starting statin, and I had normal coronary arteries. I was 71 when valve replaced. Doing well. I was just wondering what group thought of this and are there others taking statin for same reason. I have been on the statin for 3 years now and all LDL's are in 80 to 90 range with very good HDL.

I have an Edwards Bovine valve and my cardiologist has never recommended I take a statin as yours did. If you do a search on Statins and Edwards valve on this forum, you may get some more information. I recall this topic being brought up a while ago. I am not up to date on the latest research around this. All the best,

I don't know anything about valves and statins, but I do know a little aobut statins. Read the full literature and assess the side effects. For instance, if you like alcohol, some statins recommend you stop alcohol consumption. There are other side effects as well, they vary by drug.

Since there is not a proven therapeutic effect, the side effects may help you decide if you want to take the drug.

I have an Edwards Bovine valve placed 4 years ago for bicuspid aortic valve with severe stenosis, and aneurysm of ascending aorta. About a year after surgery my cardiologist put me on statin, saying that there was evidence that statin would make valve last longer. Research on line did say there was some preliminary evidence that this may influence calcification of prosthetic valve. My LDL was only 100 before starting statin, and I had normal coronary arteries. I was 71 when valve replaced. Doing well. I was just wondering what group thought of this and are there others taking statin for same reason. I have been on the statin for 3 years now and all LDL's are in 80 to 90 range with very good HDL.
I would never do research unless it was from a reliable source. Just looking on line can bring you a flood of misinformation, or outdated information. Please go to the directed source and ask questions, your cardio doctor. Never depend sole on internet to get good information. I did research years ago about cardiac catherization, and found a lot of misinformation. So only go to trusted sources, like American Heart Association, WebMD, etc.

Well. I took satins (simvastin-10mg), for 10 years and then needed a redo. The statins may or may not have extended the life of the valves, but they for certain worked at preventing coranary artery desease

How do tou
Well. I took satins (simvastin-10mg), for 10 years and then needed a redo. The statins may or may not have extended the life of the valves, but they for certain worked at preventing coranary artery desease
How do you know statins kept you from getting CAD ?

I have an Edwards Bovine valve and my cardiologist has never recommended I take a statin as yours did. If you do a search on Statins and Edwards valve on this forum, you may get some more information. I recall this topic being brought up a while ago. I am not up to date on the latest research around this. All the best,
Same here.

Latest posts

Back