Starting HCTZ.... any opinions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marguerite53

Premium Level User
Hello. I'm in waiting mode but my doctor (GP) and I decided to start me on a diuretic. My blood pressure is in the 115 to 140 range over 80 somethings and since I'm pretty overweight, 50, BAV, moderate stenosis, she was delighted when I asked about them. Yes!! let's put you on some!

Personally, after this long heat wave her in Oregon, I'm just tired of feeling puffy. I think I've always been sensitive to the heat, but now it just feels like all of me is puffed up more often than not.

I dropped off the Rx and didn't look carefully, computers were down at pharmacy due to massive sudden rainstorm (man! that felt good!! Oregonian -- can't go too long without some rain!!), so I don't know the dosage but I think it was HCTZ.

I am allergic to sulfa and apparently could be sensitive to this but she thought that that possibility was very minimal.

Appreciate all thoughts on these simple meds. I avoid all meds like the plague since I have so many sensitivities.

Thanks! Marguerite

I personally

I personally

can not take it, it made me kinda a whoopy.. but some havent had any kind of trouble, (my sister) so???

I had HCTZ added to my atenolol regimen and had to stop it after a couple of weeks because I felt kind of funny on it. No other way to explain it other than I just didn't feel right. Hope you have better luck with it.

I've been on Moduretic, which is a combination drug with one of the two drugs being HCTZ 50mg. I have been on it for over twenty years and don't really think I've had any problems with it other than my potassium levels sometimes drop. I'm on a daily potassium supplement now so that doesn't happen very often.

I'm on furosemide (lasix) and spironolactone which I gather you're sensitive to, those seem to be the most common diuretics used for such things.

There's also a lot to be said for modifying your diet to take in less sodium and salt. Even simple things like trhowing out the salt shaker can help a lot. Most American's eat WAAAAYYYYY too mcuh salt in their daily diet and while it's not a real problem for someone who's perfectly healthy, it's a fine line between being healthy and developing problems like hypertension and heart disease.

There are a lot of good resources out there including a number of good heart-healthy cookbooks for reducing your sodium intake.

If you're "puffy" nearly all the time then that may be a VERY good way to start battling it.

Helps if you enjoy cooking as well, however there are some very simple things you can do if you hate to cook.

Check out the Recipes forum for hints and such and Nancy may be along at some point to help out as well.

For what it's worth, I REALLY like a book called "The No salt, Lowest Sodium Cookbook" but Donald Gazzaniga.

Oh, and a lot of diuretics can cause problems with depleted electrolytes (such as potassium) in your system. For most people, the best way to counter that is to eat a banana a day or have a good glass of orange juice. If you're that puffy, you might try going the banana route and try to cut back on how much fluid you consume in a day. Fluid restrictions should really be handled through a doctor, but if you're drinking excessive amounts of water (or whatever) to combat the heat and all, you might look for alternatives or at least try to pace yourself some.

I tried HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) as a first-line med to control borderline high blood pressure. It did nothing to help the BP, but it did make me feel bad. I took it for a couple of weeks, and it caused my heart rate to increase during exercise -- badly enough that I stopped both the exercise and the med for a few days to re-adjust. Changed to a different med for BP, and all is back to being fine.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the links, experiences and suggestions. I'm lazy and still haven't picked up the Rx. I'll start this weekend and if I have any other questions, etc. I'll let you know. I really appreciate the feedback!

Marguerite :)

One of the things I use to take for hypertension was the generic of Lasix (which my parents thought funny because their pet pitbull was prescribed the name-brand by their veterinarian :rolleyes: ) and found that there is a problem taking it with Synthroid (although I was on the generic for that too then I believe), which I have taken for about ten years. So, if you are also on that, watch it! The contraindications do not always get flagged when comparing the generic names!

Thanks, Susan

Thanks, Susan

I appreciate the warning. I was abit surprised that the pharmacy didn't ask me about my sulfa allergy and the link to HCTZ since they are usually good about that. Perhaps the link to sulfa sensitivities and HCTZ have lessened. I know I mentioned Lasix to my doctor (and I have no idea when I would have been on Lasix, or why, but I do remember using it at one time -- maybe for persistent bladder infections eons ago) but for some reason,she really wanted to try this one instead. Maybe this is more specific to my needs right now. s

I must say that I've been balking about starting it because I really don't like hives!! (in case I do respond similarly).

Anyway, thanks!

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back