Starting gym

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsley99

Hi guys I’ve booked a membership at the gym I’m 21 years old and have had an aortic valve replacement so it’s really hard for me to get advice on anything I’m looking to put on a fair bit of muscle and to be toned especially my chest has anyone got a routine or do’s and donts please?
I had my surgery on the 4th of October 2019

You shouldn’t have any issue preventing you from a weightlifting routine- always verify with your dr first. And of course listen to your body. I’ve lifted heavy weights for 10 years, before my surgery and after. If your looking for a routine, check online there are tons of free routines out there for building muscle. Good luck!

Just be smart with the isometric work. Sensible for everyone, not just AVR folks. Breathe through the range of motion. For many folks, there are issues with connective tissue related to BAV. This can lead to aneurysms. True, honestly, whether you lift or not. But holding your breath while straining to lift spikes your blood pressure and just doesn’t seem wise to me.

You shouldn’t have any issue preventing you from a weightlifting routine- always verify with your dr first. And of course listen to your body. I’ve lifted heavy weights for 10 years, before my surgery and after. If your looking for a routine, check online there are tons of free routines out there for building muscle. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and I didn’t know if there was certain exercises that I can’t do because of the chest I’ve got a great app just wanted to check

Any sports activity, except walking, can only be allowed after consultation with a cardiologist or family doctor.

Hi guys I’ve booked a membership at the gym I’m 21 years old and have had an aortic valve replacement so it’s really hard for me to get advice on anything I’m looking to put on a fair bit of muscle and to be toned especially my chest has anyone got a routine or do’s and donts please?
I had my surgery on the 4th of October 2019

This is my favourite subject.

They key is finding a cardiologist/surgeon or doc who’s gonna support your goals despite your surgery.
I’ve had countless conversations with GP’s or family docs who clearly don’t know the current advice on training post aortic surgery, especially in someone young. It’s not their fault, it’s just not common enough of an area for general practitioners to be all over. But just expect some push back if you’re going to a family doctor for advice. When I told the last GP that I was back to benching bodyweight after surgery he was horrified. My surgeon, on the other hand, said “yeah good, get after it”.

The unfortunate reality is there is an expectation that someone who has such issues is usually older, and who won’t be training much anymore. The other consideration, alluded to above, is that we are all vastly different. One aneurysm or valve issue is different to the next. My condition might be such that weight lifting is in fact terrible for it. Other conditions like marfans syndrome- purely genetic, and you were always going to develop something.
It’s very frustrating, and I’ve spent many hours prying for info over the internet about how much can I lift? What rep range? Etc etc. There just isn’t the data. We know that pre op, heavy isometric weights are a definite no no. Breath holding too.
But regarding post op (I mean 12 months +) there isn’t anything to go off other than feels. Theoretically it seems like you should take it a bit easier given that BP does go up when you lift, but how much easier will vary from person to person given their training history.
Not much else you can do I’m afraid. Train, get your yearly checks, adjust accordingly.

My old man used to say - if you can’t take it easy, just take it.

This is my favourite subject.

just a quick point found in the original post:
Apr 28, 2021
so not quite a fully qualified zombie thread ... but not far off when factoring in:

that the poster
  • Joined Jan 24, 2020
  • Last seen Jun 2, 2021
but its good to post these things anyway, because "anonymous browsers" and all that ;-)

just a quick point found in the original post:
Apr 28, 2021
so not quite a fully qualified zombie thread ... but not far off when factoring in:

that the poster
  • Joined Jan 24, 2020
  • Last seen Jun 2, 2021
but its good to post these things anyway, because "anonymous browsers" and all that ;-)

Ahh I see I am quite late to the party! Haha

Any sports activity, except walking, can only be allowed after consultation with a cardiologist or family doctor.
You should increase physical activity gradually, moving from easy exercises to more complex ones. You can go in for those sports that give the least strain on the heart. I do athletics to keep fit because I have heart valve problems. After the first operation, I recovered because the recovery took a long time. I bought a scale Vont Smart Body Scale to capture even the smallest changes. I think that only a doctor can give you advice regarding sports and muscle growth.

You should increase physical activity gradually, moving from easy exercises to more complex ones. You can go in for those sports that give the least strain on the heart. I do athletics to keep fit because I have heart valve problems. After the first operation, I recovered because the recovery took a long time. I bought a scale Vont Smart Body Scale to capture even the smallest changes. I think that only a doctor can give you advice regarding sports and muscle growth.
What form of exercise are you having right now?

I will repost thes here from another thread I posted on yesterday:
Well this is the beginning of month 6 since my Feb 4 AVR. Sofar, in regards to exercise, the heart is the best performer with the lungs and knees trying to keep up. I had or am having mild sport-induced asthma which is under control now and sore knees from time to time. My resting heart rate low is 48 as of this week which is closer to where it was and my exercise heart rate high is from 145 to 150. I have started upper body workouts and it is producing results and the saggy post-opp liposuction look is disappearing.
I turned 68 June 19th and I am feeling great!

I will repost thes here from another thread I posted on yesterday:
Well this is the beginning of month 6 since my Feb 4 AVR. Sofar, in regards to exercise, the heart is the best performer with the lungs and knees trying to keep up. I had or am having mild sport-induced asthma which is under control now and sore knees from time to time. My resting heart rate low is 48 as of this week which is closer to where it was and my exercise heart rate high is from 145 to 150. I have started upper body workouts and it is producing results and the saggy post-opp liposuction look is disappearing.
I turned 68 June 19th and I am feeling great!
That's fantastic, congrats.

If I were you, I'd discuss it with my doctor. The doctor can give valuable recommendations on the exercises you can do. When I went to the gym a year after the surgery, I bought a sports watch. It begins to vibrate when my pulse is greatly accelerated. I pause a little, but I don't sit down to rest. Actually, I wanted quick results. My recovery took a year, and my muscles are gone. So I talked to the doctor about supplements. He allowed me to buy creatine but to monitor the dose. So I'm buying this on Buy Cardarine for Sale (GW-501516) | 3rd Party Tested, and I use it before training.

"my muscles are gone" When I looked in the mirror after the operation, I had the impression my upper body and arm muscles had evaporated. At about 8 months they started to return. I have kept up my activity. The heart feels great, my knees are having a hard time keeping up!

Latest posts

Back