Standard Tests Before Operation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

What are some of the standards test patients take just prior to having heart-valve surgery? My mother has had a cardiac catherization, echocardiogram, electrocardiogram, and blood work. What else is done/needed?

Thanks

Crystal

test

test

How old is your mom?

All those you mentioned are good.

Usually a few days before the surgery you have a urinalysis to check for bad bacteria that might mess up the operation.

Other than that they might do a TEE-- trans-esophigial echo. Kinda of uncomfortable, but gives a great view of the heart. They always do it during the surgery too.

The scariest part pre-op is watching everyone around you freak out.

I was pretty cool until 2 days before then I wigged out for a day and then by surgery day I was pumped and ready for it.

Half the battle is get psyched and knowing you'll kick butt and make it thru. I was really looking forward to getting it over with and recovering so I could feel better...which I do!
-Mara

My mother is 66 years old. We have pre-surgery meeting with her cardiac surgeon on Friday. I was curious to know if anything else might be required before surgery.

Crystal

You will be probably be meeting with the anesthesiologist who will talk about what his role is and will take an extensive history, also the Patient Admissions Testing which consists of lots of bloodwork and a complete medical history, possibly a chest xray. You'll get a little kit with your instructions and special soap to use before surgery. This took about 3 hours.

I forgot about the special soap.
I had the chest x-ray too. Ooops blame it on the pump.
I talked to the anesthesiologist for about 15 minutes. He was very cool.

For me the strangest part was seeing all the other people there for their pre-op meeting and knowing they were having surgery the next day too. Also, they kept looking at me like I was from the moon, they were all much older than me, and most there for by-pass. I get those looks a lot at the cardio's office. I guess folks never think of younger people having heart troubles.
Now I have my scar to show them!

Crystal - just to wish your mom all the best. Its a worrying time waiting for the surgery. But I had my valve replacement in March at age 66 and now hardly think of it any more. I hope she does really well. Most of us do.

Can't answer your question as procedures vary a bit in England.

At admission they will ask about a 'living will'. Make sure she has one or signs one at admission. It is very important. If you don't know what it is we'll tell you so won't go into it now.

Latest posts

Back