Spike for no reason?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so grateful for this thread!!

I am a coumadin newbie and I'm having a really hard time with it. All my life I've never been one for consistency in diet, exercise, alcohol, etc. There are times when all I want to eat are leafy greens and others when I go weeks without. Same with exercise. If I'm training for a race, I run 20+ miles per week. Then there could be weeks/months with no running at all.

All this to say, I'm having a hard time regulating my coumadin.

After testing consistently in the low 2's all of April (despite weekly increases of dosage), my INR jumped to 6.25 this week!! 😩

Since I'm a coumadin newbie (only been taking for 3 months) and my regular cardiologist is on the COVID frontlines I have been having difficulty in getting consistent guidance on how to change dosage when neccessary. I obviously ramped up dosage way too much this past week. But looking through some responses on this thread, I'm also guilty of other things... like not eating as much vitamin k rich foods, exercising a bit less this week, more wine than usual. You name it!

How long will it take to feel comfortable in all this. 6+ INR is crazy high and I don't want that scare again (already worked with a Dr. on a plan to get that number down, btw).

My biggest concern is... do I have to start tracking every single thing I eat/do for the rest of my life? 😥 How long did it take all of you to get a handle on this?

If I recall correctly you just started on warfarin in February or March. After surgery and initiation of warfarin treatment it can take a while for things to settle down. Even when settled down I've had unexplained changes in my INR that resulted in a new standard dosage. However I've been between 4-5 mg a day for years now, so the changes haven't been big (e.g. 6 months at 5, then 4.5 for months, etc.)

You don't need to track everything you eat. Just don't binge eat green vegetables and make sure you do get a balanced diet that includes green vegetables. Personally, I have seen no problems with alcohol and I have at least 2 drinks a day, so maybe you should just drink more :) What I find can effect my INR is bowel difficulties.

Do you know anything on that?
its an old video and that drug didn't pan out. Personally I'm a fan of Warfarin >because< it is quickly and easily reversible (restoring coagulation) by the simple administration of an injection of Vitamin K

Much of the stuff about the new drugs is driven by an artificial need to make a "one size fits all" (and you know how well that works with clothing) drug that doesn't need any monitoring (because why would anyone want to do that?).

The reality is we have it easy, a few of my friends are diabetic and trust me, we have it easy (and better outcomes).

In my view the medical establishment where you are domicile has become a greedy machine that enslaves "patients" to suck every last co-pay from them and robs them of actual choices by making them feel like they must comply. Where I live its rather different.

You don't need to track everything you eat. Just don't binge eat green vegetables and make sure you do get a balanced diet that includes green vegetables. Personally, I have seen no problems with alcohol and I have at least 2 drinks a day, so maybe you should just drink more :) What I find can effect my INR is bowel difficulties.
couldn't agree more ... last night was an impromptu bonfire in the neighbors back yard as he gutted the rental property he owned. We all maintained social distances but had a few drinks.

party picture

post party picture

its an old video and that drug didn't pan out. Personally I'm a fan of Warfarin >because< it is quickly and easily reversible (restoring coagulation) by the simple administration of an injection of Vitamin K

Much of the stuff about the new drugs is driven by an artificial need to make a "one size fits all" (and you know how well that works with clothing) drug that doesn't need any monitoring (because why would anyone want to do that?).

The reality is we have it easy, a few of my friends are diabetic and trust me, we have it easy (and better outcomes).

In my view the medical establishment where you are domicile has become a greedy machine that enslaves "patients" to suck every last co-pay from them and robs them of actual choices by making them feel like they must comply. Where I live its rather different.
I liked the video where you did your INR with the rubber band. I will try it next time.

Back