Sort of healthy . . . from Mr. Food

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mary

4 to 6 servings

* 4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, cut into large chunks
* 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* Place the tomato and mozzarella chunks in a large bowl.
* Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; mix well then pour
over the tomato and cheese mixture, tossing to coat well.
* Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

It's called a Caprese Salad. I just fixed it on Father's Day. We have this a lot in the summer. It's very refreshing and healthy!

4 to 6 servings

* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

We make this alot in the summer but instead of chunks do layered slices of the tomato and (good usually in water) mozzarella I started growing basil just so we would have it for this. it is really good on slices of garlic toast

I wanted to add, We used to just mix the "dressing' in a bowl, but it seemed to seperate out (oil/vinegar thing) So I tried putting all dressing part in an emulsion blender (majic bullet type thing or stick blender) and the dressing seemed to hold up for quite a while, it wouldn't matter as much if you are going to eat it all soon, but we usually have some in the fridge once the tomatoes start coming in the garden until they are done

Wow, that sounds good. Only thing I might add would be some nice thinly sliced onions. Ya know, it almost sounds like the topping of a Margarita Pizza when you think of it (Tomatoes, Basil, Mozzarella).

4 to 6 servings

* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Very refreshing summer salad. Thanks, Mary, for sharing.

Since it is that time of year again, when there are lots of good tomatoes, I thought I'd bump this up and add a Pasta recipe I saw on the cooking channel that we are going to make soon since it looked great.
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/fusilli-alla-caprese-recipe/index.html

Fusilli alla Caprese
Ingredients
1 pound fusilli pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 1/2 pints)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. As the tomatoes cook and soften, smash them with a fork. Continue to cook until the tomatoes make a chunky style sauce, about 4 minutes. Transfer the tomato sauce to the bowl with the pasta. Toss to combine. Add the basil leaves and mozzarella. Stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until the pasta is moist. Serve.

ps Fuselli pasta is the little corkscrew type, for those like me, that can't remeber what names the different pasta shapes are

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back