sore throat- 12 days so far

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Robt Z

Have a sore throat- May 8th surgery- for last ten days. On amoxicilan since Thurs. 5days. Getting worried as deep breathing seems affected by this. Also have red eye, watery which am taking drops for. Worried sore throat could lead to valve problem. Had aortic valve and root replaced. Any thoughts? Thanks. RZ

Allergies?

Allergies?

Robert,

I may be way off base and YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR, but red, itchy eyes and sore throat sound like my summertime allergies? Some people say they have noticed being more sensitive to their allergies after surgery? Might be worth mentioning to the doctor...at any rate, get him on the phone and ask your questions...you are paying him!

Not to sound like we don't want to talk to you here, but sometimes we are here to tell you...get thee to the doctor and make him listen to you and tell you what is what.

Good luck!

Sore throat was the worst aftereffect of my surgery. My throat was damaged by the intubation and was not only extremely painful but a serious obstacle to breathing and eating.

So I really sympathize with your current situation.

I got my sore throat under control first with Tylox, a pain killer! The morphine the first two days after surgery did nothing to relieve it. Also, the Cepacol lozenges didn't put a dent in it either. Once I got the pain and discomfort under control, I could progress in breathing and eating so that the antibiotics could keep the sore throat from getting to the point where it sounds like yours is; infection. I pray you didn't pick up any staph from the hospital; those bugs are nasty! And, yes, it can lead to valve damage if not taken care of immediately.

In any case, I would press your doctors to get that under control right away and that should make a huge difference in the rest of your recovery. With heart and sternum wounds to heal, we don't need to be fooling around with stupid problems like sore throats!

I do hope and pray you get relief soon. Keep us posted.

Thanks for reply. I donot think my sore throat is related to the surgical tubes. It started 2 months after surgery on July 4th and really gets sore (inflamed) at night. Not too bad during the day. Antibiotics prescribed as a cautionary measure. Just worried and hope this goes away soon as I fear the endocarditis word.

For your own peace of mind, call your dr's office and express your concerns and ask them. They won't mind and you will be more satisfied. Don't want to mess around with your miracle!

Hi Robt Z

I would also like to urge you to call the doctor to find out what is really going on. Nothing is insignificant for you valve guys and gals. Find out for sure and stop guessing. Good luck. Let us know what it turns out to be.

I agree with the others, get in contact with your doctor - how can they help if they don't know the problems that you are having!
My Mother (AVR 30th May 01) refused to get in contact as she was having fluctuating temperatures, with A Fib, she was frightened of being a nuisence. She's now back in hospital with a bad case of pnumonia!
So GET IN CONTACT WITH YOUR DOCTOR! and I look forward to reading about your complete recovery!

Thanks for replys. Be assured I have been in contact with surgeon, cardiologist, and internist re this and they are all informed. Antibiotics prescribed, warfarin levels tested, and follow ups upcoming. Just trying to see if this is common problem and if others had suggestions.I guess none of us can be too diligent in addressing our health care concerns.

Hi Robt Z

Hi Robt Z

This is one of your Valvereplacement.com Mommies talking to you. Now you just be a good boy and take all you medicine and make sure the doctor does his job. If he doesn't know, maybe try an Ear, Nose and Throat guy.

Hi Robt. Z
It sounds like you have all the bases covered. My wife and son are experiencing the same symptoms with their allergies. It sounds like a very legitimate concern. Hope you get seen by the Doctor soon. My throat hurt for about a week after surgery, I agree with yours not being related. Our concern is with you and please keep us posted what it is so we can help others. Take Care Jeff H.

Latest posts

Back