Society of Thoracic Surgeons Risk Calculator

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis S said:
I have enjoyed reading your research concerning the best valve choice, even though this is no longer an issue for me. I am wondering if you have the answer to a question that I have posed before. We keep seeing percentages listing stroke & bleeding risks. No one ever seems to know what your risk is for stroke or bleeding if you don't have a mechanical heart valve. On a hunch, I just looked up a listing on Web MD of the most commonly prescribed drugs in America. Warfarin is just within the top 40, at about 17,100,000 prescriptions per year if I read the chart correctly. I believe those of us with mechanical valves form a small part of the population taking Warfarin.

So it seems to me that casually tossing around statistics (as many Drs. seem prone to do) is very misleading. I pose the question-what is your risk of a bleeding or stroke event if you don't have a mechanical valve? We know it is greater than 0 and probably less than 3%, but what is it? The mechanical valve increases the stroke risk & the warfarin prescribed increases the bleeding risk, but how much is the increase? For example, is the risk for the general population age 55 & up .5%, 1.5% or even 3% ? Untill you know this, how can you know the increased risk of a mechanical heart valve?

Furthermore, is it possible that the warfarin prescribed for the mechanical valve actually offer protection from strokes that might otherwise occur from some non-valve related risks? it seems to me this would occur, at least on occaision.

And if it is correct that there are 17 million annual prescriptions for warfarin, shouldn't the statistics take into account that a number of people will incurr whatever risks may exist in warfarin, whether or not they choose a mechanical valve?

I think these are all substantial questions, that would lead me to believe that it is nowhere near accurate to imply that you increase stroke exposure by 3% per year if you have a mechanical valve. Does anyone see anything I am missing? I don't want to "win" an argument-I am, however, very curious as to whether there is something I am missing.
I know you have asked this question before. It is very hard to give a specific answer to your question, because the data is not collected that would answer
your specific question. You might post this question to AL Lodwick in a PM.
You can also search the AHA's website for stroke statistics, but I had no luck, because of the way that stats. were broken out. Your point is generally true,
that for a group of "normal" people of a certain age group there exist a stroke
risk and a bleed risk, the same is true of tissue valver, and mech. valver. My understand of your question is you want to know how much of a measurable difference there is between these 3 separate data group for each age group.
I could be wrong, but I just don't think the data exist in a useable form to give a good answer. I haven't ignored your question before, I just couldn't find a reliable answer-Sorry:(

Good points Dennis. What is the risk of stroke and bleed for the general population? I think when we see that stats for those on warfarin, we may erroneously assume that it's 0% for those who don't take the drug, when we know that can't be the case. And risk would increase with age.

I read an article not long ago that all the aspirin therapy being used now that they are seeing more bleeding in ER's than before. People are told to stop any aspirin therapy prior to surgery. So I'm wondering what the per year risk is for a bleeding event for those on aspirin therapy.

So how do the "Gen Pop" stats compare?

OK Here We Go...

OK Here We Go...

I've been told that discussing warfarin therapy on here is a bit like approaching the third rail on the NYC subway, but, since my neck is stuck out already, here goes...

First of all, let me say that all the questions I'm asking and the opinions I'm expressing are only valid as they relate to my particular condition and my particular surgical options. What may be right for me may not be right for someone else. There are no absolute, across the board, right and wrong decisions here. (Unless you smoke. That's a wrong decision.)

Next, a quick response about warfarin reducing the likelihood of stroke not related to a valve. Because my family has a bit of a history of stroke, and because I have experienced a couple of very mild and quickly passing TIA's, I asked my primary care physician this same question. She said that adding the valve adds stroke risk, warfarin therapy reduces it, and together they're a wash.

Now, about doctors and statistics:

I don't think that doctors tossing out statistics is misleading. We must base our decisions on something. Medicine, like any other science, is based on the analysis of actions that are reproducible. Without statistical analysis to examine how two actions compare with one another, and what the outcomes are of each, medicine would be based on heresay, rumor, and anecdote, and there would be no standards of treatment for anything. I would agree that statistics themselves can be misleading, especially for those of us who are not trained to analyze and understand them. But the fact that we don't understand a statistic doesn't mean that the statistic is misleading. So if we are going to think in statistical terms at all, I would submit that we should put some trust in statistics as quoted by physicians who are experts in the particular field in which we are interested. Neither the physicians nor their analyses are perfect, but I think these trained men and women, as a whole, provide the best guidance we can find as we make difficult decisions about situations for which there are no perfect solutions.

I also doubt that in our litigious society, a doctor would stay in business very long if she/he were throwing around fictional statistics just trying to sell a patient on a particular procedure they're in love with.

So, what are the statistics on the risk of stroke or bleeding in the US population without warfarin therapy? I don't know. I suspect that the statistics in the medical literature about such events refer to the likelihood of an event *over and above* the likelihood of that event in the general population. That's the only way it would seem to make sense to me.

Based on the above assumptions, I've been e-mailing prominent cardiothoracic surgeons, giving them access to my cath, echo and chest CT reports, and the raw data from each, and asking what kind of candidate they think I might make for a Ross. I've contacted dox at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Duke, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, a group in Texas, and the fellow in Germany whose response I've already posted. (I met with Stelzer personally so I don't have anything in writing from him.) I'm still awaiting a few responses, but I'll share some of what they told me with you now. Each of these doctors perform the Ross, as well as other AVR procedures. Most of them list the Ross as an "Area of Interest" on their ctsnet.org bio page, some do not.

First, the text of my basic e-mail to them:

---------------------------------

Hello, Dr. XXX. I found your e-mail address on CTS Net. Your name
and work have been mentioned to me by xxxxx.

I am a 43 year old male with congenital aortic stenosis and
regurgitation. I have a bicuspid aortic valve and some enlargement
of the ascending aorta. I am otherwise healthy: non-smoker, moderate
drinker, very active, 6'4" tall and weigh 189.

My heart disease has been followed yearly since I was an infant.

I have been asymptomatic until recently, when I gradually began to
experience shortness of breath. A recent cardiac catheterization
indicates that it is time for my valve to be replaced.

I have attached reports from that cath, echoes, and a chest CT to
this e-mail. I have also uploaded the complete studies to my web
site. They are available for download at
http://stretchphotography.com/xxxxxxx.

My cardiologist, Dr. George Vetrovec, has recommended that my native
aortic valve be replaced with a mechanical- probably a St. Jude. A
surgeon here in Richmond, Virginia, Dr. V. Kasirajan, concurs.

My concerns about implantation of a mechanical valve center around
the delicate balance of hemorrhage v. thromboembolism over the long
term.

I am therefore very interested in the Ross Procedure. Neither Drs.
Vetrovec or Kasirajan are very enthusiastic about the Ross.

I understand that the Ross is not always possible in every aortic
valve replacement patient, although it seems to be ideal for a narrow
subset of patients.

Although I have a bicuspid valve and my chest CT indicates a slightly
enlarged ascending aorta (both possible contraindications?), I wonder
how I fit into that subset.

I'd be very grateful if you could give me your opinion on my
suitability for a Ross Procedure, based on the attached reports
and/or the uploaded data I mention above.

To put it simplistically, on a scale of 1-10, if 1 is unsuitable for
the Ross and 10 is perfect for it, where would you place someone with
my data?

Thank you again very much for your time, Dr. XXXXX.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

----------------------------------

And here are the replies I've gotten thus far:

The Cleveland Clinic doctor told me that while he still perform occasional Ross operations in very selected patients, his cut off age is 45 years. He continued to say that the risk of requiring another operation for problems with the pulmonary vavle in the aortic position or the replacmetn human cadaver valve in the pulmonary position is at least 20% within the first 10 years.

He said that the pulmonary autograft has a tendency to dilate when it is moved over in the systemic high pressure position causing the vavle to leak and that the replacment valve on the right side has a risk of becoming stenotic due to an inflammatory reaction. The possibility of a Ross operation being a permanent solution with functioning valves for life or with a good autograft and a non consequential degeneration of the rightsided human cadaver valve may be 40-50%, but no one knows for sure yet.

He said they are still waiting for the real long term follow up of the larger series. Whether patient with bicuspid valves represents a worse group than the average patient for a Ross we don't know but that has been suggested but not supported by the presented series. The Ross operation has a marginally higher operative risk than alternative operations.

He said that CCF patients choices break down thus: 30% choce a mechanical valve, 65 % a tissue valve (bovine=calf tissue or porcine=pig valve) and occasional patients a Ross operation or human cadaver valve.

He mentioned what he all know, that patients chosing a tissue valve accept another operation in 10-15 years. Interestingly he said that the risk of coumidin very much outweigh the risk of another operation, and ?from a risk point of view the choice doesn't matter.?

------------------------------------------

The surgeon from Tejas said that my surgeon and cardiologist here are not enthusiasts for the ross since they probably have not taken care of that many. He feels like I will be a good candidate for the Ross, giving the following reasons: ?you have ao. stenosis, which over the long haul has had better outcomes than the insufficient patients, you are not over weight, and active and not desirous being on anticoagulation.... the ascending aorta will be dealt with at the time of surgery...possibly with an interpositio dacron graft...something to keep the aorta the same size?? He stated that the mortality at 20 years with a mechanical valve is about 40%..the mortality with a ross at 20 years is 8%.

-------------------------------------
The surgeon from Wake Forest University, where I was seen yearly from infancy through college said that a patient such as I, with bicuspid aortic valve with primarily aortic stenosis, is a reasonable candidate for a Ross procedure even though the aorta is somewhat dilated. He continued, ?You would need to have your ascending aorta replaced in addition to your aortic valve. A patient with Aortic stenosis, a tricuspid valve, and no aortic dilation would be a 10 for a Ross on your scale. Your situation would be a 7 or 8. Bicuspid Aortic valve with primarily aortic insufficiency, a dilated aortic root and ascending aorta would be the worst scenario and about a 5 on your scale.? He also mentioned other options without coumadin such as a stentless porcine aortic valve.
----------------------

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just plain stupid......

Maybe I'm just plain stupid......

But does this quote from CCF make any logical sense?

"the risk of coumidin very much outweigh the risk of
another operation, so from a risk point of view the choice doesn't
matter."

Obviously, if the risk of ACT "very much outweigh(s)" another surgery,
the logical conclusion is from a risk point of view a choice DOES matter!

Can someone who understands the English language and logic better than me
help me out here before I strip a gear in this brain of mine?

Very interesting and informative post, Stretch. When you have all your replies, I would like to see this thread go in the reference section.

RCB said:
But does this quote from CCF make any logical sense?

"the risk of coumidin very much outweigh the risk of
another operation, so from a risk point of view the choice doesn't
matter."

Obviously, if the risk of ACT "very much outweigh(s)" another surgery,
the logical conclusion is from a risk point of view a choice DOES matter!

Can someone who understands the English language and logic better than me
help me out here before I strip a gear in this brain of mine?

RCB,
I think this would be a good question for CCF.

RCB do you see what I mean about Cleveland doing tissues now? I'm not knocking them in the least, but just about everyone that has talked with them lately has been advised to go with tissue.

I like my formula best. You have a 50/50 chance of survival with any surgery. With this figure, how many do you think you can have? I'm not trying to detract from the original post, but to make a point that this is not a game to play, this is your one single life given to you. These "Geniuses", most of which, have never had the operation themselves, so who are they to give projections? Yes, they know what they see day to day, but they haven't got one friggin clue what it's like to be the receiver of their surgery.

I am curious...where does plastic surgery fall in risk calculations? If you have an aneurysm which can rupture and kill you at any time, the surgeons still won't operate until the risk of surgery is lower than the risk of rupture. However, I could go to a plastic surgeon and request breast enlargement and get no argument...since when is the risk of surgery less than the risk of small breasts?? Or a large nose, or a flabby tummy, etc., etc.. When the consequenses are so much more serious, shouldn't we the patients have more say in whether or not to risk surgery?:confused:

Thanks for the advice, but......

Thanks for the advice, but......

Mary said:
RCB,
I think this would be a good question for CCF.
I'll just parse this one sentence at a time, so I make sure it is not early morning fog of my mind, which does not understand a lot of the statements here. Some posters here have accused me of being curt (even asked that I be banned, etc.,) when I disagree with an opinion or a of statement fact, so as favor to the sensitive and Hank's PM inbox, so I shall proceed prudently. If it warrants an explanation from CCF, I won't be shy
about it. I do have contacts in the industry. You are, of course, free to make your own inquiries as always.:)

One thing I think is very important is for people to do their own research. Secondly, one must learn to take a critical
look at the research and discuss its merits. That is the valve of VR.com and I hope people understnd that is what I'm doing.

Statistics:

Statistics:

I know this thread is not about statistics per se. And I don't want to take it tere. But I would like to say that I, like you, see great value in statistics. That is my motivation for trying to get them right. I agree that the only way the stroke/bleed statistics make sense is if they are referring to an INCREASED risk. But, for example, I pulled this from one of your earlier posts:

"Next, a quick response about warfarin reducing the likelihood of stroke not related to a valve. Because my family has a bit of a history of stroke, and because I have experienced a couple of very mild and quickly passing TIA's, I asked my primary care physician this same question. She said that adding the valve adds stroke risk, warfarin therapy reduces it, and together they're a wash."

So, if we agree that the only informative statistic would address any increased risk, how do we get from "a wash" to the 1,2,or 3% figures that are commonly cited to those considering a mechanical valve. It is because I value statistics that I keep asking this question.

RCB,
Stretch has gone to the source for answers to his questions, and he has asked opinions of members who considered or underwent the Ross Procedure.

My point in suggesting you ask CCF was the hope that we (VR members)would gain additional information or clarification directly from the source. I did not have my replacement done at CFF, nor do I possess any strong interest in pursuing the question you posed. If I did, I would ask.

No hidden agenda here.

Ross said:
I like my formula best. You have a 50/50 chance of survival with any surgery. With this figure, how many do you think you can have? I'm not trying to detract from the original post, but to make a point that this is not a game to play, this is your one single life given to you. These "Geniuses" have never had the operation themselves, so who are they to give projections? Yes, they know what they see day to day, but they haven't got one friggin clue what it's like to be the receiver of their surgery.

How do you figure 50/50? Unless you're saying that you'll either die (50% chance) or not (50% chance)? This may not be what you're talking about, but if it is, then there's no point in treating any medical condition at all.

As far as the surgeons being on the receiving side, I'll share two thoughts:

1) Ross, please don't take this personally, but, from a purely scientific standpoint, where the objective is to maximize the chances of normal life expectancy and lifestyle for the greatest number of people over the greatest number of years, one individual's experience with the unpleasantness of surgery is not very relevant because it is subjective. Some people will find surgery more unpleasant than others. This is not to minimize the pain and suffering you've experienced with surgery, Ross, but it doesn't tell us a lot about the chances of long term survival for the general patient population undergoing one procedure or the other.

2) One of the reasons Paul Stelzer is at the top of my list of surgeons right now is because, as I've said elsewhere on this board, my meeting with him left me with the impression that he's as much phsycian/healer as scientist, and as much skilled country doctor as big shot chest cutter. During our visit with him, Dr. Stelzer shared his story of being on the other side of the scalpel. His son, who was born in 1977, was diagnosed as a neonate with a nearly always fatal congenital heart defect. I believe it was hypoplastic left heart syndrome. AFTER the doctors told Dr. Stelzer of this diagnosis, they discovered that it was actually an operable defect, and went into his one-day-old son's heart to attempt to correct the problem. The surgery was successful, but later, when the boy was 8 months old, he was diagnosed with a rare form of kidney cancer. The boy had two more surgeries and a couple of years of chemotherapy, and now is a thriving and talented artist. (One of his pencil drawings, hanging in Dr. Stelzer's office, blew my mind.) So, unless we know of a surgeon's (or anyone else's) personal experience with surgery, I don't think it's fair to say that they "haven't got one friggin clue what it's like to be the receiver of their surgery." (If anyone is interested in Stelzer's biography, it can be found at http://www.manhattanchurch.org/about_paul.asp)

Dennis S said:
I know this thread is not about statistics per se. And I don't want to take it tere. But I would like to say that I, like you, see great value in statistics. That is my motivation for trying to get them right. I agree that the only way the stroke/bleed statistics make sense is if they are referring to an INCREASED risk. But, for example, I pulled this from one of your earlier posts:

"Next, a quick response about warfarin reducing the likelihood of stroke not related to a valve. Because my family has a bit of a history of stroke, and because I have experienced a couple of very mild and quickly passing TIA's, I asked my primary care physician this same question. She said that adding the valve adds stroke risk, warfarin therapy reduces it, and together they're a wash."

So, if we agree that the only informative statistic would address any increased risk, how do we get from "a wash" to the 1,2,or 3% figures that are commonly cited to those considering a mechanical valve. It is because I value statistics that I keep asking this question.

" " She said that adding the valve adds stroke risk, warfarin therapy reduces it, and together they're a wash." "

This is one quote we have to examine, but in my opinion it is an example of doctor making a statement that they are not qualified to do. As I have said before, they are not training in mathematics, they are not trained in statistics and they are not trained in biostatistics. Medical doctors are not even trained in research, the ones that are have a Phd after their name, or at least an MS.

As I have already stated- one step at a time.:)

Well, in that case

Well, in that case

Mary said:
RCB,
Stretch has gone to the source for answers to his questions, and he has asked opinions of members who considered or underwent the Ross Procedure.

My point in suggesting you ask CCF was the hope that we (VR members)would gain additional information or clarification directly from the source. I did not have my replacement done at CFF, nor do I possess any strong interest in pursuing the question you posed. If I did I would ask.

No hidden agenda here.

Thank you for the clarification, but no one said anything about a "hidden agenda". :)

RCB said:
If it warrants an explanation from CCF, I won't be shy
about it. I do have contacts in the industry.

Goodness, this sounds like a threat. :(

I hesitated to include the names of the institutions, and did redact the names of the surgeons for fear of such a response.

There's a ton of literature from CCF about their ratio of tissue implants to mechanical implants. As an institution they prefer tissue. Is this guy's opinion part of what makes them prefer tissue, or is his opinion part of an institutional bias in favor of tissue? Who knows. Rather than calling or e-mailing the institution for a response to one surgeon's opinion, CCF's data and institutional opinion can be found in these documents: www.strechphotography.com/avr/CClinicCaring4ProsthValves.pdf and www.stretchphotography.com/avr/CClinicChoosingValve.pdf

Stretch - the question is - what type of stroke is known in your family and what types of TIAs did you have? Stroke caused by blood clotting will be reduced by warfarin - that is, after all, the point of warfarin therapy. So if your risk of stroke not due to valve, is caused by blood clot, then I don't understand the doctor's statement that warfarin will not help once you factor out the mechanical valve component. If stroke is caused by plaque - then I understand his remarks. If someone has problems with forming blood clots in the leg (I have 2 friends on warfarin for that problem - something to do with a protein issue in the blood) someone having to take warfarin for a valve will also benefit from the affect on the other clotting issues.

I don't think your neck is stuck out. I find your posts interesting. But I also think we'd be remiss if we didn't question statements that didn't jive with what we know or have experienced. Are we warfarin users sensitive - yes. But that is because there is SO much misinformation that is disseminated as fact or factual information that is taken out of context and some of it gets repeated here. And as I said - I guess that's a valid reason to not choose mechanical - too many medical people are choosing not to keep current on the the issue.

You may also have noticed than when the risk of reoperations is discussed, that tends to be a "3rd rail" as well.

And now, just so you aren't the only one with their neck stuck out. :p I'd really like to see CCF's 65% tissue and 30% mechanical stats broken down by age range and even by doctor, and then compared to other facilities stats for age ranges. I have to admit, I'm a little disturbed by the %'s. (And no - it's not because the tissue valvers seem to be winning.:D ) Someone got very upset by a comment that a doctor made that CCF is ensuring repeat business. I still don't believe that to be the case, but that % doesn't exactly help to prove that statement false or even make the raising of the question look outrageous. Which is why I'd like to see it broken down by age and doctor. It also leads me to wonder if CCF may not be too concerned with keeping their personnel current on warfarin information. Understand that I'm not talking doctor by doctor, but as a facility in general.

Dennis S said:

I understood your question to be whether being on warfarin would reduce one's risk of stroke NOT related to the mech valve. If this were the case, it would lead me additional consideration of the mech valve, because of my family's stroke history, etc. So I asked my primary care: If I'm already at risk of stroke (I don't think I'm high risk, but that was my question), and if that risk is RAISED by the valve, and it's LOWERED by the warfarin, how would taking the warfarin affect my general risk of stroke. She said that the warfarin/family history would be a wash and that with a mechvalve I would probably have an increased in stroke likelihood similar to what is reported in the literature. Dunno if I'm communicating this is a way that makes sense...

StretchL said:
I understood your question to be whether being on warfarin would reduce one's risk of stroke NOT related to the mech valve. If this were the case, it would lead me additional consideration of the mech valve, because of my family's stroke history, etc. So I asked my primary care: If I'm already at risk of stroke (I don't think I'm high risk, but that was my question), and if that risk is RAISED by the valve, and it's LOWERED by the warfarin, how would taking the warfarin affect my general risk of stroke. She said that the warfarin/family history would be a wash and that with a mechvalve I would probably have an increased in stroke likelihood similar to what is reported in the literature. Dunno if I'm communicating this is a way that makes sense...

Okay, I kind of understand that thought process. But would your risk of stroke (not mech valve related) be reduced by warfarin? After reading (quickly) on of your linked articles, it said that the risk of stroke in tissue valves is basically the same as the risk of stroke in anticoagulated mechanical valves. That's the first time I've ever read that and I find it very interesting because we've discussed at length here the concern that those of us on warfarin still have a 1 - 3% risk of stroke. So now if this is correct - so do tissue valve recipients. But we don't read threads about people worried about that. But maybe that's because no one asked the question. I also find it curious that when we refer to a surgical risk being 1 - 3%, that's good. But the same percentage for stroke on warfarin is bad. (and now possibly with tissue valves.)

So - I guess my question to your doctor would be, would warfarin reduce your risk of stroke that appears to run in your family? So if you went Ross or tissue, would taking warfarin reduce the stroke risk overall?

I will say that the articles talk of "risk of hemorrhage" is a bit frightening. It may lead the uneducated reader to believe that someone anticoagulated could just spontaneously start hemorrhaging for no apparent reason. I would have preferred that they put it in the context of other health issues (ulcers) and surgical procedures.

Okay, I'm off to work. I find this discussion very interesting. And know that a little part of the devil's advocate is present in me today.:D

Back