So scared and feel so alone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean,
I've been home for 2 days now, also after being diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis .
Not only did I have this condition, my dad was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago. Unfortunately , my dad tried tuffing it out, and wound up having a massive heart attack and passing away.
I sat in the hospital with my wife, I'm 52 in relatively good shape with the exception of the stenosis .
We both made the decision to do everything that needed to be done to correct this problem. I chose to get a mechanical valve, the surgery was a little over 3 hours. Less than 24 hours later, I was walking up and down the hallways of the hospital.
Like I said, I'm home now, feeling better each day.
I completely understand how you are feeling. Take it from someone who never visits the dr.
The hardest part was the thoughts that were rolling around my head before the surgery.
Remember , this is all the surgeons do. Put your trust in them.
if you believe in God, just ask him to be with you and the surgeon the day of the procedure .
Your kids will be there when you get through this, and you all will enjoy a long life together.

God bless, and please let us know when your surgery is done, so perhaps you can share your experience with someone who may be going through what your going through now.

God Bless, Jimmy

Jimmyk;n877688 said:
Dean,
I've been home for 2 days now, also after being diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis .
Not only did I have this condition, my dad was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago. Unfortunately , my dad tried tuffing it out, and wound up having a massive heart attack and passing away.
I sat in the hospital with my wife, I'm 52 in relatively good shape with the exception of the stenosis .
We both made the decision to do everything that needed to be done to correct this problem. I chose to get a mechanical valve, the surgery was a little over 3 hours. Less than 24 hours later, I was walking up and down the hallways of the hospital.
Like I said, I'm home now, feeling better each day.
I completely understand how you are feeling. Take it from someone who never visits the dr.
The hardest part was the thoughts that were rolling around my head before the surgery.
Remember , this is all the surgeons do. Put your trust in them.
if you believe in God, just ask him to be with you and the surgeon the day of the procedure .
Your kids will be there when you get through this, and you all will enjoy a long life together.

God bless, and please let us know when your surgery is done, so perhaps you can share your experience with someone who may be going through what your going through now.

God Bless, Jimmy

its great to hear that you are home and posting such positive news after surgery only days ago.

Again like others who have posted your post gives me real hope.

Can you elaborate on how you were after the surgery. Is there a lot of pain. Did you wake up to family around you?

Deanuk1982;n877683 said:
Im from Yorkshire
Hi Dean - I'm from the UK too, near London. Do you know which surgeon your cardiologist is referring you to ? The Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery has information about the various hospitals and the surgeons in the UK here: http://scts.org/hospitals/cardiac/ You may find some of the info reassuring, plus of course the personal experiences of everyone here on the forum - after I had heart surgery I was even coming on forum in the middle of the night and getting support !

You're not alone Deano, we know how you feel. When I wasn't freaking out, I thought I was doing it wrong. It gets better on the other side, it just takes a while. My one year anniversary has just passed. Today I was up on a ladder with a chainsaw.

Deanuk1982;n877689 said:
Can you elaborate on how you were after the surgery. Is there a lot of pain. Did you wake up to family around you?

I'm not gonna lie, it sucks. But it gets better every day. Different hospitals do pain management differently but make sure you ask if you think you need it. My memories of the first 24 hours are pretty patchy. They kept me pretty well sedated but my wife, brother and sister in the room is my first post-op memory - that and having to spell out everything on a laminated sheet with an alphabet (my tube stayed in for about 5 hours post op).

Don't let the kids visit for the first couple days - you'll look pretty rough and have a lot of tubes attached. It'll be traumatic for young kids.

Latest posts

Back