Snakes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interesting. How cool would it be to have warfarin replaced by snake venom? We generally build some resistance to warfarin- I need twice as much now to keep my INR in range compared to when I was released from the hospital. Hey, maybe we would build enough resistance to snake venom that a snake bite would not be deadly! Any volunteers for the randomized trial for that one?

Interesting. How cool would it be to have warfarin replaced by snake venom? We generally build some resistance to warfarin- I need twice as much now to keep my INR in range compared to when I was released from the hospital. Hey, maybe we would build enough resistance to snake venom that a snake bite would not be deadly! Any volunteers for the randomized trial for that one?

Warfarin is not known to cause a "resistance" the longer you are on it. Your changes are a reflection of changes in your metabolism, food intake and activity. My INR has been on a steady course with a steady dose for a year, but in the past 7-10 years, I've made permanent changes in my dosage, sometimes up and sometimes down, but never consistently higher as in drug "resistance".

It’s not a change in resistance. It’s a change in your immune system and metabolism as your body recovers.

After 30 years on warfarin, I remain at about 6 mg’s daily. This can change periodically with changes In my metabolism. Generally, when I’m more fit, my dose is higher. But there’s no meaningful long term change in dose based just on the number of years I’ve been taking it. Otherwise @dick0236 would be taking 100mg’s daily!

Warfarin is not known to cause a "resistance" the longer you are on it

Perhaps resistance is the wrong term, but the first few months out of surgery, in order to stay in target INR, warfarin dose increases gradually for most people. Over the course of years, no, but the first year, yes, at least in my experience, and also according to Pellicle and my cardiologist, but what the heck do they know about INR? ;)

Perhaps resistance is the wrong term, but the first few months out of surgery, in order to stay in target INR, warfarin dose increases gradually for most people. Over the course of years, no, but the first year, yes, at least in my experience, and also according to Pellicle and my cardiologist, but what the heck do they know about INR? ;)

Although I can't remember my dosing shortly after my surgery I think it is very possible for the need of more warfarin as we resume normal activity, diet, work schedules, etc. Actually, over time (54 years on warfarin) my need for that drug has diminished. I can remember, as a younger man, taking 10mg per day. That has reduced, over time, to my current 5mg/day........likely due to a reduction in activity, diet, no work, etc. Maybe, if I live long enough, I won't have to take warfarin at all:cool:o_O:rolleyes:.

I guess I should also mention that in my younger years I drank like a fish......haven't had a drink in over 30 years (thanks to AA) and my gut tells me that lifestyle change had some effect on INR.

Latest posts

Back