Smoking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsley99

Hi wil here 21 just had a valve replacement it’s a mechanical one so I’m on warfarin
Does anybody know the affects of cannibis if I was to smoke it?

The only effects I can think of are that you might forget to take your dose or may also combine it with a large amount of alcohol which might have a short term effect.

Do a bit of reading about the long term effects of drugs on your mind as I can say one of my friends from my Uni daze is now a full blown paranoid and no longer the top scientist I once knew.

Hi wil here 21 just had a valve replacement it’s a mechanical one so I’m on warfarin
Does anybody know the affects of cannibis if I was to smoke it?

Hi there,

My fiance, 26 y/o, uses cannabis for pain relief (multiple orthopedic surgeries in his childhood causing chronic arthritic type pain). He has an On-X mechanical valve. Only thing he notices is that his heart rate increases about 10bpm while under the influence. No problems with INR. His cardiologists know of his use, they can't condone smoking it because of the affect it may or may not have on lung tissue, but have actually recommended it for him in oral form. He does prefer smoking it though and hasn't had issues with that method as of yet. He was told, however, that cannabis use makes individuals less responsive to some sedatives, so he stops using a week or so before testing/procedures requiring sedation. He was completely coherent for his TEEs after being given maximum dosage of sedatives, which they said was likely related to cannabis use.

Just my two cents!

Assuming you had a valve replacement for a bicuspid valve, people with bicuspid valves are more prone to developing aneurysms of the aorta. Tobacco usage is a big risk factor for aneurysm formation generally- something to consider if anyone were to smoke cannabis with tobacco, best avoided long term. Can give references if you request, but it's late and I'm feeling lazy ;)

Do a bit of reading about the long term effects of drugs on your mind as I can say one of my friends from my Uni daze is now a full blown paranoid and no longer the top scientist I once knew.

I've also heard that the brain (specifically, the prefrontal cortex) is still developing until age 25, perhaps later. If you really want to maintain full cognitive function throughout your life, it's probably a good idea to avoid mind-altering drugs until at least 25. That said, I know lots of people who violated that guideline in modest ways (mostly alcohol and cannabis), and they still seem pretty smart in middle age or older.

Years ago, Freakonomics Radio did a podcast called, "What's More Dangerous, Marijuana or Alcohol?" tl;dr/l: alcohol, purely as a substance, is more dangerous than cannabis, but alcohol is so deeply ingrained in society that it has social benefits that may outweigh the costs, at least for some people.

My drug of choice is coffee: in the words of Arthur Gray, in, Over the Black Coffee, "It intoxicates, without inviting the police." Unfortunately, I'm off my precious home-roasted coffee for now, because of my arrhythmia.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth....thc doesn’t seem like it has any effect on coagulation rate positively or negatively.

A couple things -- I suspect that smoking cannabis probably has less effect on INR (if any) than ingesting it would. After all, it's green, and may have traces of Vitamin K. If you ARE using it, adjust your warfarin dosage to accommodate any effect from the cannabis - and take cannabis regularly so that your INR can stay level.

The other thing - people still refer to cannabis as a 'drug.' I have problems with that word in relation to cannabis. Ofen, when I see the word 'drug' associated with cannabis, I think that it's being equated with narcotics or other strongly addictive drugs. It isn't.

FWIW - I haven't smoked or in any way used cannabis in nearly 50 years. The last time I used it was at a sit-in at UCLA, sharing it with a group of others and an Associate Dean at the University. I've had it perhaps three times. I'm not suggesting that the word 'drug' is often an overstatement because I have a love of the stuff -- just for clarification.

A couple things -- I suspect that smoking cannabis probably has less effect on INR (if any) than ingesting it would. After all, it's green, and may have traces of Vitamin K. If you ARE using it, adjust your warfarin dosage to accommodate any effect from the cannabis - and take cannabis regularly so that your INR can stay level.

The other thing - people still refer to cannabis as a 'drug.' I have problems with that word in relation to cannabis. Ofen, when I see the word 'drug' associated with cannabis, I think that it's being equated with narcotics or other strongly addictive drugs. It isn't.

FWIW - I haven't smoked or in any way used cannabis in nearly 50 years. The last time I used it was at a sit-in at UCLA, sharing it with a group of others and an Associate Dean at the University. I've had it perhaps three times. I'm not suggesting that the word 'drug' is often an overstatement because I have a love of the stuff -- just for clarification.
I didn’t think it would effect it just as much just have some family worrying so I knew I had to do some research and haven’t found much other than people who hate “drugs” so just say it’s bad even when they don’t even know

Sorry -- as someone who came of age in the "Just say no" 1980s, I imbibed the message that they're all drugs: cocaine, heroin, cannabis, alcohol, even coffee. Maybe even sugar. Nevertheless, I'm happy to use any preferred terminology. Cannabis certainly is a mind-altering substance: I can attest to that from experience. So is coffee, for that matter.

I wouldn't describe myself as anti-cannabis, although it's not really to my taste: I prefer alcohol or caffeine. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that it is one of the least harmful psychoactive substances around, unless you have too much: then you're in for a bad night. I'm just an advocate of being careful with mind-altering substances, especially for younger people.

Last edited:
Actually, what I bristle about is use of the word 'narcotic' as a description of cannabis. I've seen it misused many times by people who don't want to know better.

'Drug' IS a somewhat generic term and, you're right, includes caffeine, sugar, nicotine, and many other substances. I was a bit hasty in my comment about cannabis NOT being a drug -- it certainly fits into a broader meaning of the word.

Sorry for jumping on it so quickly. (And, again, I suspect that ingesting cannabis may have more impact on INR than smoking it, but I suspect that few people would ingest enough cannabis to cause any real issues).

I've also heard that the brain (specifically, the prefrontal cortex) is still developing until age 25, perhaps later. If you really want to maintain full cognitive function throughout your life, it's probably a good idea to avoid mind-altering drugs until at least 25. That said, I know lots of people who violated that guideline in modest ways (mostly alcohol and cannabis), and they still seem pretty smart in middle age or older...

Usually it's the other way around. Experiment when young and stop when you have the first child :)

However if you played soccer as a child, doing all those headers, and then football, the sports you played under 25 could have a more definitive effect on later adult cognitive function than experimenting with recreational drugs.

A news report, citing a study (I'm not sure which University did the study), said that the study showed that the leading group of Marijuana buyers are the 'old' people - probably in their 60s and beyond. It's used for pain relief, stress relief (and I suspect for nausea control and appetite issues).

You may need to increase your dose of Warfarin. Your INR may be even lower if you weren't using marijuana. Or, unlike many others in the test group, cannabis affects your INR in a different way.

Latest posts

Back