Smart Watch etc. Heart Arrythmias

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunbeam

Does anyone wear a Smart Watch or other daily monitoring device to check their heart rhythms. Has it been accurate and beneficial to you? Any brands you would recommend? Thank you

No, but I’ve been wondering about the Apple Watch. Interested to see what others reply.

I looked at watches earlier this year, but ended up buying a device that linkś to my phone from Amazon. It is a small rectangle with two contact pads on it. It allows me to record a ekg whenever I want. While the app that it works with on the phone dose analyze the results, I can also send it to my doctor.

i took the results from it in to my last visit and discussed them with my doctor, and while they are not equivalent to what they do, they are good enough to determine if I need to come in for a full ekg or not.

i went this route due to cost and the ability to record and send a ekg. It should also have a longer service life as it is not getting banged around on my wrist.

John K

I looked at watches earlier this year, but ended up buying a device that linkś to my phone from Amazon. It is a small rectangle with two contact pads on it. It allows me to record a ekg whenever I want. While the app that it works with on the phone dose analyze the results, I can also send it to my doctor.

i took the results from it in to my last visit and discussed them with my doctor, and while they are not equivalent to what they do, they are good enough to determine if I need to come in for a full ekg or not.

i went this route due to cost and the ability to record and send a ekg. It should also have a longer service life as it is not getting banged around on my wrist.

John K
Are you referring to a Kardia? I have one of those. My cardiologist is actually the one who recommended it.

I had a Kardia for several years, cardiologist liked that I could send her readings via email when I had questions/episodes. But it quit working a few months ago. I emailed the company to ask if it was broken after trying new battery, uninstall/reinstall the app and they responded that due to some new mandate it only worked with certain models of Android phones and mine was not one of the ones that they had tested so it would no longer work with their product. To their credit they gave me a full refund even though I was well beyond any warranty period (I had the gizmo for almost 5 years). So I would be sure your phone is on the approved list before ordering - apparently the app knows what phone it's installed on and won't work unless that model phone has been tested and approved.

Hi, I use the Kardia and also a Polar A370 watch. The watch picks up the increase in heart rate from a fib. Thinking of getting the new Apple Watch.

March of last year I went to the emergency and they kept me for five days in hospital under severe observation. I had unspecified atrial flutter! My heart rate was 135 for two days without me noticing until I synchronized my Fitbit. I had no other symptoms.
This past March I had fibrillation and ended with cardio version.
my husband insisted on buying me the Iwatch. It only detects sinus rhythm when I open the ECG installed application and place finger on the dial for 30 seconds. It gives resultS right away and info is kept on the iPhone in “Health” application.
what this watch does automatically: It warns you when your heart rate drops or rise above number one specifies! Here’s a sample:

Attachments

• 2B02B702-4929-43AF-AA52-542BD9666D4B.jpeg
    2B02B702-4929-43AF-AA52-542BD9666D4B.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 08DB2C72-6C5B-47B0-A0CB-58E053E93092.jpeg
    08DB2C72-6C5B-47B0-A0CB-58E053E93092.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 180
  • D029112E-40A7-4F84-9C3E-9F68171A4C64.jpeg
    D029112E-40A7-4F84-9C3E-9F68171A4C64.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Wait...your heart rate was 135 for 2 days and you did not notice?
I have a smart watch Galaxy Watch and for sure it will not record atrial fibrillation. I think its algorithms are for sinus rhythm and therefore will pick up a fast heart rate when you exercise and real low. I have recorded a range of 120 to 39 bpm.
When I am in AFib it typically will throw an error and try to repeat.

Wait...your heart rate was 135 for 2 days and you did not notice?
Yes, unfortunately! I was too busy taking care of my elderly sister’s health...back and forth for tests at the hospital!
The only symptom I noticed was I was becoming short-tempered! I thought I was tension. When I synchronized my Fitbit and it showed I was very active for 15 hrs, I doubted it! But, it was correct.
now, my Iwatch notifies me when my heart is over 100 or less than 50 bpm.

Have had a Kardia for a little over two years now. I love it. I use it daily and has picked up AFIB early on. Very comforting to be able to see what your heart is doing anytime you want.

I've been evaluating a few generic Smartwatches. One of my first cheapos took what they claimed was an EKG - but there was no way to transfer the readings to the phone.

The three that I've been sent in the last two weeks detect heart rate - and can do constant monitoring -- but there's no EKG function on any of them. (Oddly enough, they do what's supposed to be Blood Pressure - they use an algorithm that can't be trusted). Pulse Ox is probably pretty accurate. But, again, no EKG.

I may be getting a Timex smart watch next week - still no EKG, but perhaps more accurate BP tracking (although this will probably be close to my less expensive generics).

In my case, it's fairly easy to test the accuracy of the heart rate monitoring -- I have a pacemaker -- if it doesn't show a consistent resting rate that is close to the settings on the pacemaker, I have a strong idea that the HR counter is not to be trusted.

I don't have a Samsung or Apple Watch - and I doubt that I will for some time to come.

For what it's worth, I have a Fitbit Charge 4. I've been pretty impressed with it so far. I haven't had any arrhythmias, but it is interesting to watch the little heart on the watch pulse in time with the clicking of my valve.

Back