Smaller gauge lancet (bigger needle diameter)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

Hello again
Wow, trying to find info on the web about different lancet gauges is like pulling teeth. Currently using 21 gauge and not entirely satisfied. Anybody out there using anything less than 21 gauge? I've got my Softclix applicator set the highest at 5.5, just barely seeing any blood without milking and squeezing, elastic band, all of which, some report, not recommended practice
Just so we're on the same wavelength, the larger gauge number is actually a smaller needle in diameter. I learnt this last night. This is why I'm interested in a "smaller" gauge lancet (larger diameter needle).
tks again

mine have 20 written on the packet, but I can't be sure if that's how many were in the packet (seems odd) or the guage. They are the remains in the original packet I got with my Coaguchek (in 2012, so I don't change lancet every use. make of that what you will)

PS: again take this as you wish however with respect to milking, its mentioned in the manual as being an appropriate practice, but I assume within limits (like my comment about the batteries) so not like its a stone, just some assistance. With respect to my procedure on the rubber band I had a discussion with one of my old class mates (when I was writing that blog post) who was the senior pathologist at a Northern Australian hospital specifically about that. His view was that people express that torniquet may influence results but when he's asked (he's not the vegetable type to sit and just accept) he's enquired as to why; what is the influence and what evidence do you have of studies done. He smiled and said they just reply "none, but its possible". Myself I'm an evidence based guy and I've personally tested myself a few times with and without and found no difference in reading.

As always I assume I'm talking with adults here and would draw your attention to the motto of the Royal Society (the oldest scientific society on the planet) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba

Nullius in verba (Latin for "on the word of no one" or "take nobody's word for it") is the motto of the Royal Society.

The Royal Society website explains the motto thus:
It is an expression of the determination of Fellows to withstand the domination of authority and to verify all statements by an appeal to facts determined by experiment​
So as always I suggest you to see for yourself (not just accept my word ... or is that opinion?)

Myself on colder winter days here in Queensland (where insulation is absent, men are men and sheep are nervous) I have to do some activity first and probably the washing up (you know, in warm water, by hand in the sink). Either that or take a shower and do it in the bathroom (the measurement I mean).

Best Wishes

FWIW, I've looked into a smaller/larger lancet for the Softclix, Roche/Coagulachek XS only comes in a 21 gauge.
I suppose one could try a diabetic lancet....dunno

After washing my hands, I wrap two fingers in the damp paper towel until the skin gets wrinkled/pruned looking, it works for me for an easier 'poke' and getting a sample.

Freddie;n886478 said:
FWIW, I've looked into a smaller/larger lancet for the Softclix, Roche/Coagulachek XS only comes in a 21 gauge.
I suppose one could try a diabetic lancet....dunno

After washing my hands, I wrap two fingers in the damp paper towel until the skin gets wrinkled/pruned looking, it works for me for an easier 'poke' and getting a sample.

I will definitely try the warm wet tower method. tks

To Pellicle tks for the humor. I'm open to all testimonies. I like the saying, don't always believe what you read until you've tried it.

Hi

sweetmarie;n886504 said:
To Pellicle tks for the humor. I'm open to all testimonies. I like the saying, don't always believe what you read until you've tried it.

glad to help.

Myself I'd like to believe in an afterlife, but despite some compelling reasons to visit I'm not rushing into trying it just yet ...

sweetmarie;n886474 said:
Hello again
Wow, trying to find info on the web about different lancet gauges is like pulling teeth. Currently using 21 gauge and not entirely satisfied. Anybody out there using anything less than 21 gauge? I've got my Softclix applicator set the highest at 5.5, just barely seeing any blood without milking and squeezing, elastic band, all of which, some report, not recommended practice
Just so we're on the same wavelength, the larger gauge number is actually a smaller needle in diameter. I learnt this last night. This is why I'm interested in a "smaller" gauge lancet (larger diameter needle).
tks again

I use the Softclix, but not as directed.
  1. I find it doesn't go deep enough, so I removed the head and use the whole pin, all 3mm.
  2. I soak my non-dominant hand in hot water for a few minutes while I get the meter ready with the other hand.
  3. After an additional count to 60 in the hot water. I stick in the strip and start the process.
  4. While it's "Checking" I dry off my hand.
  5. Once the countdown starts, I stick my middle finger on the side in the soft part between the tip and the knuckle. I stick it twice in quick succession right next to each other going in the full length of the whole pin.
  6. I then squeeze (pump) the finger tip with my thumb on the bottom and my ring finger on top.
  7. I get a good size drop in about 5 seconds.
I first just stuck, then tried hot water, then took off the head and used the whole pin and then added two sticks right next to each other. Now it works every time unless it's really cold in the house and I don't let the hand soak long enough because I'm rushed :)

It's been months since anyone posted here -- I use the Unistik 3 Extra. It's 21 gauge, incises deeply enough for a good drop, and not too expensive. I've tried 21 gauge lancets (and have hundreds, if anyone wants some), but found that the pre-loaded, one use devices are easier to use.

sweetmarie;n886873 said:
To Tom in MO:
Do you remove just the tip (the part with the settings) or both parts, tks

I remove the tip to insert the needle assembly and leave it off for the stick.

Hey, Tom. This sounds like a big hassle to go through for a drop of blood. (One tip that I got from an old manual - once you've made the incision, squeeze the sides of the incised area, and more blood will rise to the surface. I usually forget to to this). At about a quarter each, in boxes of 100 or so, the single use lancing devices seem to be a lot easier for me.

Oddly I have tried 2 different 2.1g 1.8mm lancet brands and getting so much blood and it bleeds to a few minutes. I am wondering about switching to a smaller gauge. I assume all that matters is that I get enough blood? When iI was going to clinic I am pretty sure they were using smaller lancets just looking at the brands and the color of what they were using.

When you use the 21 gauge lancets and a lancing device, you have some variables - you can adjust the depth of the incision. You can also (somewhat) control the pressure that you bring against the finger. This may make a difference in how large an incision you make, how large a drop you get (and, in a way, how long it will take for the wound to close up). Getting a smaller lancet will NOT work for INR testing - the incision is just too small, no matter what depth it's set at.

I used to have a lancing device, and 21 gauge lancets, and the results were somewhat hit or miss. (FWIW - I have more than 1000 21 gauge lancets that I got on eBay a few years ago -- if you want some or all, just cover postage and I'll send them out).

Once I got one-use lancing devices that are made for INR testing, I quickly gave up on the lancing device and lancets. I nearly always get an adequate incision - it's big enough to get the drop but not deep enough to cause a lot of bleeding (although sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to stop the blood flow). The lancet retracts into the device and is designed so that it can't be reused (so you don't have to worry about how to dispose of those lancets after you use them), and they're convenient. They cost about a quarter or so each (depending on where you buy them) and, even though my budget is really low, they're worth the extra pennies versus the lancing devices. One more advantage is that compared to lancing devices and lancets, the automatic single use lancing devices have a larger surface that touches the finger, so you can place it better. Some even claim to have little bumps that are supposed to lessen the pain by distributing the feeling of contact.

I've used a few different single use 21 gauge devices. I'm not convinced that there are any major differences from one to the next - they all do their job.

Latest posts

Back