Slightly Aneamic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have been told by my doctor that I am slightly anaemic. I went to the doctor because I was having problems exercising. I was getting the feeling of weakness, the odd erratic heart beat etc if I exercised too soon after a previous run/swim. Also my aerobic capacity seems to be much lower. I had a blood test 18 months ago when I had a nose bleed that took a long time to stop. I was slightly anaemic then but was told it was due to it being only a few months since my AVR. Therefore it looks like I have been slightly anaemic since surgery. This could explain why I struggle sometimes when running. My pre surgery levels were about 13 and now they are below 11 (not sure what the figures mean). I am also a vegetarian which probably does not help.

I have been put on iron tablets (since Friday). I seem to remember that mechanical valves can damage the red blood cells. Does anyone know whether the iron tablets will work if it is the valve that is causing the anaemia. My doctor (local GP) did not say anything as to the possible cause. How long does it take for the iron tablets to work?

Thanks
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin. I have been anemic since surgery about 6 weeks ago. I am taking iron. Twice a day. I was recently told to take it with orange juice because it helps absorption. My levels barely went up week after week until I tried the oj. Then they went up quick. Last week I was at 11. The weeks before I was in the 8 range. I think they said for a man they should be 14-16 but my pre-surgey was 12.
A mechanical valve can cause the blood to get damaged, but not usually with the newer valves. They can do a test to see but I don't remember what they did to me for that. They just said it wasn't my valve. You might also see lower platelets too if your valve was chewing up your blood.
You might also want to take something for constipation with that iron if you need it. I take docusulate. You can ask the pharmacist for an over the counter version. I forgot the name of it.
Let me know if you need any more info, Scott

I wanted to mention that there are several iron supplements. Many have nasty side effects like extreme constipation. Also, there are some that are “over the counter” and despite the fact that one would assume that they were therefore less potent, some are more effective and have less side effects than others hat are prescribed. You should ask your doctor first, of course, but having been anaemic many times, I would suggest the brand Nu-Life’s “hemoplex” which is based from natural organic food extracts. I just checked and the liquid version is vegetarian as well. I just don’t know of it’s availability in the UK! There is likely a similar type product, however.

Certainly your iron levels can affect your exercise. I doubt it is your mechanical valve, but you never know! I would keep checking it as often as possbile until you get it under control.

Thanks for your replies. I have been given Fersamal (Ferrous Furmarate). I was not told how long it takes for the Fersamal to take effect. The doctor said he did several tests and said my liver and kidneys were OK but nothing about platlets.
I think I will take them with OJ
Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin
I am in the same boat as you....vegetarian, mechanical valve and anemic post-op. I had normal levels before surgery. My surgery was 6 mos ago. I was tired and had a worn out feeling. My blood tests showed anemia. My dr ran tests to make sure it wasn't due to the valve (they check reticulocyte counts and haptoglobin levels to look for hemolysis).
Being a vegetarian on Coumadin, I have experienced a decrease in the amount of iron-rich foods in my diet since surgery. If you are watching the spinach and broccoli, for example, in your diet and you don't eat meat, then you would be taking in less iron. Which could lead to an Iron-deficient anemia.
I was put on iron supplement about 5 weeks ago and am just now starting to feel better. It has been a gradual improvement in the way I feel (less tired etc).
And definitely take the iron with vitamin C (orange juice or any juice with added vit. C)
Best of luck
Amy

Back