sleeping????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NancyMVP

As you know I have a severe regurgitating mitral valve....
Last night I was tossing a turning. I attempted sleeping on my stomach... well my heart didn't like that it was feeling very strange and I had to move back on my side.
I remember when having my kids while in labor they recommended you lay on a particular side.
Now I can't remember why and which side. It had something to do with blood flow.
Does anyone remember? Or did anyone have a similar experience having difficulty sleeping?

For 25 years with aortic regurgitation, I had trouble sleeping at all, the arrhythmias always disturbed it, and could only sleep on my right side, not even on my back.

Now, two months after AVR, I can sleep much better and on any side, even despite a little bit of lingering sternum discomfort. This had been one of the many benefits of my valve surgery.

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion, but for about four months after my AVR my heart didn't like me sleeping on my left (my favourite) side. I got loud heart beats and a constricting sensation in my throat. Its more or less ok now, but for me personally, I feel my right side is more heart-friendly.

Nancy... I think you are thinking of your left side.... I had to do this at the doc's once when pregnant and had elevated bp.... didn't have heart disease then... or at least they hadn't detected it! lol

I agree with Gillian.... it is not possible for me to sleep on my left side, not only because of my heart and similar symptoms to Gillian's, but also because I recently had a mastecomy on that side... lol

Take care and good luck sleeping!
Zazzy

P.S. Have you asked your doc about a sleeping pill? I take Ambien, which helps me get to sleep.... the faster I fall asleep... the less time I have to think of all of my woes! hee hee

Hi Nancy - I have slept on my non-heart side for as long as I can remember. My heart thrusts hard. When I lay on my heart side, my wife complains about the vibration.

Its funny I tend to sleep on the left side.
Its a habit cause my husband gives me the knee when I turn to the right lol. Back in October when I had my supposed TIA I kept waking up with the left side going numb. Thank goodness thats not happening anymore.
Tomorrows my doctor appt.... hopefully I will have a good night sleep and get some good news.. wish me luck.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back