Sleep Apnoea & CPAP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gillian (in UK)

Peter Easton - Several years ago I realised I had sleep apnoea and after a night in a sleep lab, where they found some oxygen deprivation, I was prescribed a CPAP machine (continuous positive airways pressure). This involves wearing a mask at night, difficult at first, but since I have got used to it I get a much better sleep with no snoring or stopping breathing.

I was told that CPAP machines were often used straight after valve surgery - so I was able to take my own into the hospital, and they were also able to feed in oxygen through my machine when I was in intensive care.

All this doesn't really answer the question you were asking, but I certainly feel more secure using the machine and knowing I am not restricting the supply of oxygen during my sleep.

I posted a message on this forum before my surgery asking if anyone else used a CPAP machine and there were no replies. So maybe people like me are few and far between.

Gillian, I've not heard of this at all even tho we see Sleep Apnea reports on TV from time to time. Since sleep apnea can be a bothersome thing and sometimes dangerous, your answer for it ought to be brought to the public more. Thanks for spreading the word. When we get an answer to our problems, we should let others know. Thanks.

CPAP

CPAP

Gillian,

I was a respiratory therapist for 10 years and worked with patients and CPAP for all of that time. But I have not heard of any direct correlation between CPAP and heart surgery. I guess if it was used pre surgery, then that would be the only indication for it's use after surgery.

Apneated

Apneated

Gillian --

Thanks for the information and the post. My apnea is at a somewhat lower level (but perhaps not in decibel terms: check with my Better Half on that one). I'm not on the CPAP but only nose sprays and the three-tennis-ball nightshirt. My cardiologist said he saw no direct relation between apnea and AS, though both could deprive the patient of oxygen at night and so perhaps compound risks. To me that makes it sound as though they might be confused a tad with each other and their effects confounded, at least at the margins. I'll be interested to see if there is any change on that front, as some have reported, after my surgery. I am due for another of those sleep studies where they hook you up like Bionic Man just before bedtime and study you all night through.

Peter

Latest posts

Back