Skydiving after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

So I had my 27th birthday earlier last month in June. My girlfriend told me to be ready to go by 10am and she didn't tell me where we were going. So I got myself ready, and at 10am she gives me a card. I open it and it's a birthday card and it reads "We are jumping out of an airplane in 2 hours, let's go!".

I have always wanted to skydive and she knew this; she has gone 3 times already herself. However, I just had my second OHS back in January, so only around 5 months ago! I got extremely nervous not only from the thought of skydiving, but also because I was scared if this would be bad for me considering how soon it had been since surgery. It was a Sunday so there wasn't much hope of me getting a hold of my cardiologist, and even if I did I am sure he would recommend me not do it.

So to wrap up the story, I did it anyway. And it was awesome. I was worried about passing out or having some kind of involuntarily induced heart attack, but since it was a tandem jump and I didn't have to worry about pulling my own shoot, I felt better about it.

I am not saying that it was a good idea and everyone will be ok to skydive only 5 months after OHS, but I did and I was fine and I plan on doing it again sometime. January 2015 was my second OHS after a failed Ross Procedure I received in 2012. I now have an ATS mech aortic valve, on 10-15mg warfarin/day, and a graft in place of my repaired aortic aneurysm. I have had a great recovery and have been doing a combination of lifting weights, jogging, sprinting, hiking, and swimming since around March.

So just wanted to share my story! Once again, not saying what I did was smart, but I don't regret it and it was an experience of a lifetime.

Hey
happy birthday

cewilk;n856662 said:
So I had my 27th birthday earlier last month in June.
So just wanted to share my story! Once again, not saying what I did was smart, but I don't regret it and it was an experience of a lifetime.
personally I'd say what you did was exactly smart. Live your life as you want to. To quote from a movie "its better to burn out than fade away" ... especially when you visit a nursing home and see what 'fade away' entails.

Great story and thanks for sharing

Duffey;n856675 said:
Did you mention your replacement on the medical waiver? I remember when VR founder Hank did a tandem jump and he conveniently forgot his medical history when completing the form.

I actually did write on the waiver that I had a mech aortic valve and was on blood thinners. The employee asked me what that meant and once I explained she was like, "Oh ok...I'm sure you'll be fine." Haha and that was about it.

cewilk;n856760 said:
I actually did write on the waiver that I had a mech aortic valve and was on blood thinners. The employee asked me what that meant and once I explained she was like, "Oh ok...I'm sure you'll be fine." Haha and that was about it.

That's hysterical! 18 months post op and my coworkers still ask me if I'm ok moving heavy boxes or climbing ladders. <sigh>

I'm jealous you have the courage to skydive. It looks like so much fun, but I can't get over the whole "jumping out of an airplane" part.

I did some sky diving previous to my replacement. They weren't tandem, but done on my own. I think I logged 12 or 13. I would do a tandem jump now, but I wouldn't jump solo. It was rather strenuous, and the fear factor about 20 on a scale of 10! I actually broke my ankle on my first jump, but I was determined to stick with it. Looking back, I think I was crazy or maybe going through a mid-life crisis.

That's awesome! I love your story! My husband and I went for the first time this summer. It was a blast. My last open heart surgery was 22 years ago. I also wrote my medical history on the form, and they didn't seem concerned. So glad we jumped! So fun! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Awesome ! I always wanted to jump out if a plane but just never happened for me. I'm 55 now an will have my first OHS 2 valve replacement by the end of the year. I don't expect I will ever jump at this point. But good for you for living your dreams.

Wow, skydiving! Don't know if that would be for me. I am determined to go scuba diving though when I've recovered a bit more. Although I am worried about the medical questionnaire and how that would play out?...

Latest posts

Back