Six-Year Anniversary Emergency Mitral Valve Repair--Good to be Here Again!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Folks,

I realize my wife and I haven't come as often as we used to, so I apologize for that. Six years ago today Dr. Huerd saved my life by repairing my flail mitral valve. Speaking of valves, I still don't know of my friend Mike and his wife Susan ever made it to this site or not--so I need to ask them about it via Facebook or phone to see if they're here, and if so what name(s) they use. Thanks for all of your kind and prayerful support over the past (nearly) six years I've been on this site. I still greatly appreciate the calming and steadying influences of all of what people said here during my frequent depressions. Even that Australian individual who posted something which at the time seemed insensitive, made me think that indeed feeling sorry for myself wasn't the answer. While the struggles are still there, the depressions have become less frequent and less intense.

While my father is still living (both parents are 81 now--Mom is fine--remember they're divorced and she lives in California), I've been busy emptying out his trailer, and will be finished today, and put in the request for the water, electricity, and gas to be turned off. Also will call up his mortgage company and request they repossess the trailer. There is no equity in it since it was an interest only loan, and his Medicare only supplied a $40 per month personal expenses stipend; he's in a long-term convalescent center and unlikely to ever leave. This is because, while his heart is fine and he doesn't suffer from dementia, he cannot walk anymore due to increasing paralysis of his lower body.

Time dealing with his property and trailer has taken a lot of time away from doing other things such as posting here, and other important activities. Now his cat is safely living with us, I'm in the process of getting his van ready to move, his furnishings are all in storage, and I'm celebrating my sixth "valversary" by finishing up the trailer.

As for other stuff, I just had an echocardiogram three weeks ago and my heart is generally better than before with no changes in my valve activities--mitral valve trivial regurgitation and normal motion. The only concern was with what my cardiologist called "ventricular wall stiffness" which he said was something normal with aging. My capacity to engage in high-stress aerobic activities is still gradually improving, allowing me to become a Recommended Black-Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and do pit activities for my son who does "Junior Stinger" racing at a local racetrack in a specially modified 1984 Subaru GL--he'll be 13 January 1st. My daughter, Jane, 10, will be using his car next summer, while KC will get to use a similarly modified 1989 Pontiac Grand Am sedan. My son and I are also participating in a Buhl community Christmas Cantata titled "The Heart of Christmas" by Pepper Choplin. I'm a Bass while KC sings Soprano (he is slated to do a solo in his middleschool choir this spring as well). We'll perform both this Sunday and next Wednesday. Laura considered participating too in the cantata, but her work would too likely interfere with regular practice. They have more than enough Altos anyway. Jane doesn't quite have singing down yet, so she just watches me and her brother practice when she can't stay home with her mother. We still do free-range chickens, and also fruit orchard. I'm working on perfecting my "teethbands" including one I'm making for my dentist's overbite--an alternative to traditional orthodontics I used successfully to correct own overbite and KC's best friend's teeth--hence the impressed dentist. :thumbup:

Again thanks all of you for your support and kind prayers and thoughts over the time's Laura and I posted here. Since Laura isn't here to post right now, I'll do the weather report: Cold and clear and sunny with a high of 25° F, and low of 1.2° F. Three days ago high was 11° F and low -7.8° F. There are a couple of inches of snow still on the ground from about five days ago. Sort of reminds me of an average December day in Anchorage where she and I lived from 1996-98. :cool2:

--Chris

Hi Chris,
Nice to see your update on life. Things seem to be going fairly smoothly (life is life sometimes) You are certainly keeping busy. We here in sunny CA are doing fine. I only wish the darn weather here would make up its mind. Sometimes lo 40's high 70's and other times low 60's and high 80's. I can't decide what to wear from day to day (ah well).
We are a gear head family also. Our son has been racing stock cars on asphalt since he was 19 and is 36 now. Once bitten by the race bug, you just can't get cured. :).
Take Care and try not to be a stranger....

Hi Chris!

It's great to read your update. It sounds like you're involved in a lot of activities and you're enjoying them. Good news from the echo too. Miss your weather reports. I start the day off checking weather in different areas of the country, so I always enjoyed when Laura posted the numbers.
Best wishes and happy holidays!

Hello again,

I know I haven't been here much. Life is busy. Still trying to manage home stuff. Thanks for being there for each other and for Laura and me over the past six years. I guess I joined this forum six years ago this month. So it's my "forumversary" or the like. :D I hope to be back a bit more often as time allows. Maybe Laura will check in from time to time as well.

Chris

Latest posts

Back