Sick....what can I take with warfarin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

I have my first sore throat, runny nose, fever etc since surgery. I am on warfarin. I called my coumadin clinic but they suggested I call pharmacy. On hold with pharmacy for 30 minutes. What do you take? Coumadin clinic did say avoid Motrin, but possibly could take anything else as long as I test in 2 days. Update - as I was typing the pharmacist answered. He said I could take any Tylenol product - like Tylenol multi symptom cold and flu - even nighttime versions - but to stay away from Advil- type products. Of course, this is not medical advice - consult your own doctor if you have these symptoms!

Hi

Yes, Coumadin clinics are usually as useful as a hip pocket on a T shirt....

myself I only use:
  • Paracetamol which is another name for Acetaminophen. Its good for pain relief and only extended use will raise your INR - its worth noting that Tylenol seems to be just Acetaminophen
  • pseudoephedrine to dry my nose drip
By extended use I mean 2 500mg tablets every 4 hours for 2 days. Even then the INR elevation seems to be mild ( 0.5INR units) in my case.

I don't like Codine and it whacks me out so I've avoided it for decades now (thus I don't know).

I've had zero problems with pseudoephedrine to dry my nose up.

Of course (it goes without saying) you should consider doing an INR check between your regular INR checks if you are concerned. As I always say "self checking and documentation is your friend" (and this is the 21st century now not the 18th anymore and people have computers and tools to do these things).

Knowledge is Power -

Hope you feel better soon.

:)

Zinc for a sore throat, I use the lozenges, saline nasal spray and any antihistamine and of course Tylenol is basically what I use with no effects with the INR.
Good Luck & hope your feeling better soon.

Thanks! My husband bought me Tylenol cold and flu severe. It has acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin and phenylephrine. I checked ingredients against a website I found and they seem okay with warfarin. I only took half a dose, though because I'm pretty small. It been an hour and no bad reaction :) but still feel just as crummy! I home test on Thursday so will see if it impacts Inr.

Uhmmm ....
DachsieMom;n864686 said:
... It been an hour and no bad reaction :) but still feel just as crummy! I home test on Thursday so will see if it impacts Inr.

you know that you don't get "bad reactions" ... just changes in INR which takes at least days to come into play ... right?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

You are totally right! Thank you for correcting me. I took one more because my fever is up to 102 and I still feel crummy. We'll see what test shows on Thursday.

Hi

DachsieMom;n864697 said:
You are totally right! Thank you for correcting me. I took one more because my fever is up to 102 and I still feel crummy. We'll see what test shows on Thursday.

well my goal isn't to be like an annoying school mistress going around correcting people, but two things drive me:
  • slips of logic become directions
  • expressions can have unintended consequences - such as having newbies reading here latch onto it and go "oh whaoww you can get a bad reaction to tylenol from coumadine" (which then snowballs)
hope your fever is getting better soon :)

It is genuinely appreciated. Please do not hesitate to point out my inaccuracies.
Fever about 101, even with meds. If it continues I may go see my dr tomorrow.

Thanks! Ended up calling a nurse line last night because my fever was over 103 and would not drop below 101 even with meds. Turns out one extra strength Tylenol did the trick. Woke up with 97.3! Nurse said tylenold cold and flu did not have enough Tylenol to bring high fever down so recommended the switch. Still stuffy and such, but feel much better.

I know that this is long, long after you posted. The thing to really watch out for is the use of antibiotics. These can cause MAJOR changes in your INR because they kill microorganisms in the gut that are involved with clotting (or handling of warfarin) or something. If I take an antibiotic, I test the next day, and possibly daily. I self manage, taking 'anticoagulation clinic recommendations' as suggestions, not requirements, unless their suggestions actually make sense.

I take 81 mg of aspirin at bedtime and have adjusted my warfarin dosing to its minimal effects for many years. Tylenol doesn't really work for me. Ibuprofen, an NSAID, effects platelet 'stickiness' - and this may not show up in an INR test. So far, I've taken Ibuprofen only rarely, and had no problems with it.

In summary - if you MUST take an antibiotic, monitor your INR regularly - it may drop. If tylenol works for you, you should be pretty comfortable about using it and not having a major effect on your INR.

Latest posts

Back