Show time! 13 years in waiting, tomorrow morning surgery with Dr. Svensson at the Cleveland Clinic.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillDaThrill

Been an amazing few days of medical tests and discussions. So far, so great! No coronary blockages found during the heart catheterization, all other tests clear. Had a great sit down with Dr. Svensson where we discussed valve options and the surgery process. At the end, we were thrilled when he said he could use the J-incision (minimally invasive) for the needed valve and aneurysm replacement. Said my root looked good (large) for my preferred On-X mechanical valve.
Gotta check in by 5am and surgery starts around 6:15. Thank you all for what you've taught me thru this wonderful community. I hope I can help someone down the line as I go thru this surgery/recovery.
Prayers, well wishes, positive vibes, good mojo all appreciated. See you all on the other side!!! :)

Sounds like you’re all set to have a smooth surgery. If you think the last days have been ‘amazing,’ you’re really gonna have an awesome day tomorrow. : ) talk to you after!

Been an amazing few days of medical tests and discussions. So far, so great! No coronary blockages found during the heart catheterization, all other tests clear. Had a great sit down with Dr. Svensson where we discussed valve options and the surgery process. At the end, we were thrilled when he said he could use the J-incision (minimally invasive) for the needed valve and aneurysm replacement. Said my root looked good (large) for my preferred On-X mechanical valve.
Gotta check in by 5am and surgery starts around 6:15. Thank you all for what you've taught me thru this wonderful community. I hope I can help someone down the line as I go thru this surgery/recovery.
Prayers, well wishes, positive vibes, good mojo all appreciated. See you all on the other side!!! :)
Good luck Bill! Thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing when you come through on the other side when you feel up to it.

Hey all, I am back! Thank you for the kinds words and well wishes.
All and all, it went pretty near perfect. Surgery (Day 1), ICU (Days 1-3), Step-Down (Days 3-5). Released around noon on Day #5.
Yeah, it was nuts but to see these professionals operate - I just got more and more confident as things progressed! Am feeling great now, did a 3 mile walk this a.m. and am cleared to fly back home. Well worth the decision to come to Cleveland, even if traveling was a pain. Learned alot and my wife took great timeline notes so hopefully I've have some good details to share. Sunny days ahead!

That's great news Bill! It's encouraging to those of us just behind you in the queue.

3 miles on day 7? You must be in great shape.

Curious if you got the Inspiris Resilia?

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Oh my!!!! Good for you! Have a safe flight home & congratulations on reaching the other side : ) I’ll look forward to hearing from you during your recovery.
That's great news Bill! It's encouraging to those of us just behind you in the queue.

3 miles on day 7? You must be in great shape.

Curious if you got the Inspiris Resilia?

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.
Hey Croooser, thank you for the support, man. I always say "I'm in shape...as round is a shape." Was in OK shape as I didn't push fitness too hard as I was beginning to get some chest pains. I did try to hike/walk a bunch prior, and I think that helped.
Inspiris Resaila - so that valve was my dark horse. It really has done amazing so far but here's what I was told. Unsure if it is fact, but it came from 'on high'. 1 valve failure (out of 700) - and was in year #7 (suspect that is Cleveland Clinic's data for use). I could expect to get 7 -27 years from it (he apologized for ridiculous range). But, for a 52 yr old, plan on potential for another OHS as he was unsure of TAVR down the line.
That was encouraging info but I am really focused on the 'one and done' so went with preferred On-X mechanical which may offer lower thinners/eliquis options.
I think you said you were 62? Please, give the Inspiris a close look and discuss with your surgeon.

Glam shot, post post-op nurse practitioner visit:
Bill - Post-Post-Op, CC.jpg

BillDaThrill - I was actually checking the board in anticipation of the update post-op. Sounds like it went as well as it could and that's very encouraging to me as a future CC patient + very likely the same valve. 3 miles on day 7 is awesome. Thanks again for your update and hoping you have a smooth transition home.

BillDaThrill - I was actually checking the board in anticipation of the update post-op. Sounds like it went as well as it could and that's very encouraging to me as a future CC patient + very likely the same valve. 3 miles on day 7 is awesome. Thanks again for your update and hoping you have a smooth transition home.

Peej, yes was really really impressed by the Clinic and the process. Please let me know if you have any questions about it.

Latest posts

Back