Show of support for a Grand Rapids, MI valver that may be reading.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

A former co-worker and friend who’s spouse had an AVR and graft about a year before my last surgery is back to decision time. They may be reading and I’ll leave it to them to disclose what they want to (or don’t want to) about their situation. Suffice it to say, I credit these good people for alerting me to the possibility of an aortic aneurysm. This led to the discovery of mine and subsequent surgery. Because of their situation, I knew to ask more questions at my checkups.

Regardless, I invite the community to wish them well, extend thoughts and prayers as each persons faith directs, and just say good luck with your decision and outcome! We’re all here if you have any questions!

I they don’t see this, then it’s for all the other lurkers that are reading and don’t post. 😁

They’ll know who I am from my picture and username being a costume I wore to work on Halloween a couple times. 😆

Hi

A former co-worker and friend who’s spouse had an AVR and graft about a year before my last surgery is back to decision time. They may be reading and I’ll leave it to them to disclose what they want to (or don’t want to) about their situation.

well that's tough and suggests that as the person got something like 12 years out of their valve (and assuming they are about your age) then that's fairly much "ball park" for reasonable expectations of the durability of a tissue valve.

We’re all here if you have any questions!

I would encourage them to ask questions (which they may be asking you) because its hard to write to assumptions that they may have.

Sadly I see this decision process a number of times here where adults under 50 make a decision based on hope not facts to get a bioprosthetic to avoid warfarin. It inevitably results in the same outcome: another surgery and another requirement for recovery and more injury to your body (surgery is an injury from which you recover) and more exposure to infection (boy do I know that one, but dodged the worst bullet).

I can only encourage people to use their time to get informed, which means to fully learn about the basics, not deep dive into confirmation bias.

Bioprosthetic vavles are subject to SVD (its something that some here seem to deny but its unequivocally a fact)
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.018506
The management of bioprosthetic valves is by subsequent surgical replacement, the younger you are the more frequent that is leading to more surgeries and more damage to your body.

Mechanical valves are very durable (often much longer than the expected lifetime of the patient) but are subject to causing thrombosis. The management of that is the simple administration of anti-coagulation and then this is further enhanced by monitoring the effects of this anti-coagulant to maximise its benefit and minimise any harm. This is done with a simple tool to check your INR value (which is the measurement of the coagulation effect the drug is having). Compared to a diabetic we measure far far less, usually weekly rather than many times daily.

To me it seems like a mechanical is the low hanging fruit and if you just "give it a service" it'll out last you ... that's the short answer. But ...

1650500279811.png

Then here is a blog post I wrote many moons ago

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/01/heart-valve-information-for-choices.html
I hope it helps others as that is indeed why I wrote it.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back