Should I be worried?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HennaD

I am 3 months 1 week post op for MVR with a mechanical valve. ECHO before discharge showed my EF at 30% which remained same in my latest ECHO 1 week back. So, my surgeon changed my medicines and put me on
- Aspirin 75mg (introduced now),
- Ramipril 2.5mg twice a day (was on metoprolol succinate 2.5mg once a day earlier),
- Carvedilol 6.25 mg twice a day (introduced now).
- Lasix ,Furosemide 20mg (was on LASILACTONE 25mg earlier)
- Acenocoumarol (continued)

Discontinued analgesic and digoxin.

I have been on restricted water intake but ever since these medications have been introduced, my coughing has worsened off. It is worse than what it was post op perhaps. Disturbs my sleep and also bothers me during the day. Dry coughing fits are on the rise in frequency and strength.

I read somewhere that taking Ramipril can lead to dry cough initially. Is this normal? or should I be worried and seek changes in my prescription from my doctor?

HennaD;n877841 said:
I read somewhere that taking Ramipril can lead to dry cough initially. Is this normal? or should I be worried and seek changes in my prescription from my doctor?
Ramipril is an ACE inhibitor - a common side effect is cough. You should probalby talk to your doctor about this.

Paleowoman;n877842 said:
Ramipril is an ACE inhibitor - a common side effect is cough. You should probalby talk to your doctor about this.

Paleowoman : Thanks for your advice. I actually just wanted to check if coughing was normal but on your recommendation I spoke to my doctor and he has asked me to switch to angiotensin-receptor blocker (ARB) telmisartan.

I hope it is equally potent and safe. Read that one should check their potassium intake as taking ARB can make potassium level to increase.

Henna Carvedilol really helped my mother increase her ejection fraction too. My moms before surgery was in the 20 percent range. Last echo 55 percent. Didn't happen overnight but it definitely helped. :)

Agian and Debster : Thanks a lot guys. I actually had to switch from aspirin to clopidogrel as well. Aspirin was causing stomach ache and acidity. Coughing is still there but nothing that cannot be managed with a few lozenges. So, things seem to be under control for now.

Back