Shopping for heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

neil;n863214 said:
... and the need to take rat poison to stay alive. Swings and roundabouts

I was thinking as soon as I saw this about I'd prefer poision to the rat trap ... this video came to mind (naturally hey are Finnish)

(*look for the traps around the crotch)

There can be other issues with warfarin, just like there can be with any medication. When a person is on a medication for the rest of their life it's not as simple as take it and test every so often, it's what unwanted effects it may - stress may, not will - be having on them that a person has to take into account and to weigh up the balance. (Speaking as someone who is on several medications long term)

heartburst;n863187 said:
Thanks you for all your responses. It's making my decision process comforting and manageable. I'm currently educating myself on what Warfarin treatment would look like for me, through the Kaiser healthcare system. And now my leanings are toward the mechanical. I am still curious about tissue valves longevity. Are there any members here who have had a tissue valve for 13+ years? And if so what was your age when it was implanted? Viva LA Valvers!!

No, I haven't had my bovine valve for 13 years, only 11, but I was 52 when it was implanted. My last echo looked good, and I expect this valve to last at least until I hit the 15 year mark. Whatever choice you make will be the best one for you and your circumstances. Best wishes going forward. Mary

neil;n863214 said:
Bit over the top. I could say I have an issue with a mech in my body and the need to take rat poison to stay alive. Swings and roundabouts

How is it over the top? Aspirin is poisonous if you take too much.

MethodAir;n863264 said:
How is it over the top? Aspirin is poisonous if you take too much.

even sugar which is a food will kill you if you eat too much. The trick is in regulating the dose.

All "ratsack" jokes aside there is no doubt that warfarin is a narrow theraputic drug and requires attention to make sure you are not over or under. If you ignore it and do not monitor it, it will bite you.

We are fortunate to live in an age where such tools are affordable to purchase and use for most.

I faced a similar choice at the age of 46. Keep in mind that if a part of your aorta is going to be replaced, redo operations will be more complicated than if you just have a valve replacement that needs to be redone. Plus, at your young age, you may have to face a third surgery if your initial choice is a tissue valve. Most surgeons will agree that the third time is *much* more complicated and risky than the second.

I discussed the pros/cons of each at my blog, here: http://skepsisdoxa.blogspot.ca/2015/10/decisions-decisions.html

I booked my surgery for April 1, I'm going to go for the mechanical, but I don't have to make the final decision till a couple days before, so my research is continuing. I'm embracing the idea of the whole thing, warfarin, self monitoring etc. Adapting to the disease gracefully but not letting it rule me. I'm still going to participate in "risky" activities, like using tooth picks and skiing. Maybe even at the same time! Life goes on. Thanks for everyone sharing their ideas and experience.

Julian, I had a aortic valve replacement at 36 years of age. Age does not matter, it is the condition of the patient, There are good choices. I have the St Jude's Mechanical valve and am on Wafrin for now. I might have another repalvcement in the future for those who have npot been here long. Sometimes, the valve will have a defect, or the murmur has come back. And that has to be replaced. Many have done that here. You will make a decision, once you get informed of all your choices, all great from the last 10 years of research alone. Hugs for today. :)

carolinemc;n863417 said:
Julian, I had a aortic valve replacement at 36 years of age. Age does not matter, it is the condition of the patient,

Of course age matters, the older you get the more time the body takes to heal, and the more chance you have to develop issue. You can not guarantee that the poster will be in good shape in 20 years and and by getting older he does increase the chance of developing issues that could amplify side effects of OHS. As for now, he is not 70 so we can not judge of his condition, but predict ( based on facts ) that there is a stronger probability that risks related to an OHS will increase.

neil

somehow I missed this

neil;n863252 said:
totally agree paleogirl,, hey pellicle I always thought of you as a good Robocop, am more of a count Dracula

:)

I love both Robocop (love Peter Weller in his many roles) and I very much like the performance of Gary Oldman in the 1992 remake of Dracula.

If you want to watch really cringewothy stuff sus out the Finnish Dudeson videos ... they are the inspiration for Jackass (and I'm sure that Jarno's sack is empty after all those hits to the cods)

:)

Hi there heartburn and hi to everyone else, it's been a while.

I had to reply to your email as 'twas not that long ago I was asking all of the wonderful people in here the exact same question. Here is my tuppence ha'penny. (All) of the research and enquiry that I did prior to making my choice of valve ( I am 44, in good health and I had an aneurysm on my aorta and a regurgitating valve) suggested that what's on the horizon in the "near future" was about the development of better valves all around. Like most things, especially in the area of medicine and procedure, things always improve and evolve. I had my valve replacement in Kings College London. My Surgeon (Mr Deshpande, nice chap) who is a leader in the field of TAVR here, recommended even at 44 to have a tissue valve. I had "after all of my own research" felt that like many in here didn't want a life on warfarin, but more importantly after all of the information out there and what I have been told by my own surgeon here in London is the terrain in the area of valve replacement in the near future will be different from what it is now. Now I know some members might offer that there is no crystal ball with which to promise such a future, but that's how I made sense of my decision for a tissue valve as it would allow for options when better valves become available. The valve I had (Capenter Edwards) was apparently the biggest valve they could use due to the size of the aneurysm 6.3cm and this also is a good thing in terms of its life span. I had my op in September last year and I have been back running, cycling and in general back to a very normal life. I cannot stress how much the people in this forum became such a source of support and comfort prior to my operation. Wonderful wonderful folk I here. I hope you make your choice with thought and patience. Whatever you choose you will be fine. My best regards, David

Thanks for all your responses!
I do feel that whatever choice I make, I just have to own it. My cardiologist and surgeon don't seem to have a strong opinion either way. They tell me the pros and cons and are going to let me find my way. They have made me aware of the age guidelines. I'll most likely talk with them each once more before surgery on the April 1 and ask "What valve would you pop into your own son?"

This doesn't even delve into manufacturer/model choice. I probably should have been researching this stuff during my five years in The Waiting Room. But, I actually forgot all about my problems and lived life.
ACT seems entirely manageable to me. A second/third surgery.... I don't know. I just don't think surgery's going to be a walk in the park.
Can you tell which way I'm leaning now?! It's certainly a journey, and I'm just thankful they caught it and I live in the modern world!

heartburst;n863673 said:
Thanks for all your responses!
Can you tell which way I'm leaning now?! It's certainly a journey, and I'm just thankful they caught it and I live in the modern world!

In the old world BAV men would have died in their 20's on the battlefield and the women would have died giving birth, we would have been normal back then hahaha.

Hi

PsyDanny;n864269 said:
I can't get this article to come up. Something wrong with the URL?

I just checked (to confirm it) and yes, same here. So either they've moved it or taken it down.

Let me know if you want a copy of the file as I saved it a few years back.

Back