shooting sports?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tass

Howdy,

Anyone participate regularly in any shooting sports? I signed up for a tactical shotgun class at a local shooting club's event. Not a shotgunner, this will be my first time (20 ga.). Right now I tend toward SOB with activity (but I think some of that is relative to the Houston heat). The class will be in October and is something I don't want to miss.

Tass

Hi Tass,
I've shot a little skeet in the past but haven't been since before my surgery, that was partly because I wanted my sternum to heal up before shooting again. Well I'm all healed now, so I need to get out and as the weather starts to cool I will go out and shoot some sporting clays.

It's good exercise and it's a lot of fun. I don't know about tactical shooting but listen to our body and take a break if you're feeling SOB. If they do a lot of walking or active shooting then maybe speak to the instructor or safety officer and see of they can make some accommodations for you. I think 20 gauge should be a good gauge as it dosen't kick as much as 12, but you'll probably still know that you shot it at the end of the day. Also talk to the instructor to see if you can use a lighter load to reduce the kick.
Enjoy and
Take care,
John

Thanks!

I did a 2 day pistol class last year with a 9mm and I thought I was going to DIE (pre-diagnosis)! I took 800 rounds with me and emptied every box and dipped into the instructor's stash.

Tass

I was into Competition Archery in my younger & better years. Loved the sport very much & the opportunity to go to many places in the US to participate in tournaments.

Once in a while, my husband & I will go out in the desert to shoot our 9mm pistols but I'm not as deadly as I was with a bow n arrow! :(

I think a lot of us are into firearms, but just don't post about it. For me, it was 12ga for a long long time. Then came peace officer training and the .357mag. All of this was before the heart issues and even then, I was huffing and puffing on the combat range.

Does retriever training count?

Mostly I can't hit the broad side of a barn, and don't try. Except for UKC events, we're not required to actually shoot at marks when handling the dogs.

I won't shoot a shotgun or rifle anymore. I bruised enough doing that before coumadin. But that's my personal preference.

Does retriever training count?

Mostly I can't hit the broad side of a barn, and don't try. Except for UKC events, we're not required to actually shoot at marks when handling the dogs.

I won't shoot a shotgun or rifle anymore. I bruised enough doing that before coumadin. But that's my personal preference.

If you wanna bruise, I have side by side 20ga double barrel. Just pull both triggers at the same time and you'll feel like a truck rammed you. Nice black and blue marks.

I am a shooter, not as much as I would like to however. Did the camp perry thing with garand and '03A3 springfield a couple of times. I took every opportunity that the navy reserve offered to shoot up government ammo, qualified expert with the M16 and M14. I am tempted to get into the cowboy action shooting sports, but I hesitate knowing I would need to re-arm with an entirely different set of firearms. Some of the best people I have come to know are some I have met at a range.

If you wanna bruise, I have side by side 20ga double barrel. Just pull both triggers at the same time and you'll feel like a truck rammed you. Nice black and blue marks.

....or try shooting a bow set at 55 lbs & having the string slap your arm once or twice!!! :eek: That is one colorful bruise!!!

I've got a Hi-Standard Supermatic .22 pistol that I use for target shooting at the local range and occasional plinking.

Been thinking more and more lately about getting something more appropriate for home defense.

I also would like to get an AR15 one of these days, if I could convince my wife. ;)

Mark

Mark - the Ar15 is a civillian M16 without select fire. For home defense I would be more likely to go with a pump action 12 ga. shotgun. The Ar15 fires a 5.56mm round that will go through your walls to the house next door, and that poses a danger to all near you if you ever need to use it. They are fun to shoot, but not for defense in a urban area. Too much penetration. Just something to think about.

Mark - the Ar15 is a civillian M16 without select fire. For home defense I would be more likely to go with a pump action 12 ga. shotgun. The Ar15 fires a 5.56mm round that will go through your walls to the house next door, and that poses a danger to all near you if you ever need to use it. They are fun to shoot, but not for defense in a urban area. Too much penetration. Just something to think about.

Just to clarify, I'm not considering the AR15 for home defense, just for sport and recreation.

Home defense is another issue. I've always like the story/urban legend that the just the sound of cocking a pump action shotgun is the best deterent to a home invader.

Mark

20ga skeet shooter here with lots of padding on my shoulder to avoid bruising.

Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports

Hi Tass,

As you can see from replys to your post, shooting sports really don't present major problems for many of us. I shoot both a 12 ga. and 20 ga. as well as a couple of .300 mag. hunting rifles and.54 cal muzzleloaders.

If you're going to shoot a lot of shells in your class, you might want to get some kind of recoil suppressor like a PAST pad. This piece of equipment saves a lot of wear & tear on your shoulder. I loaned mine to a gal who took it to Argentina for a dove hunt. 300+ shells a day and she didn't feel a thing.

-Philip

Not into sport shooting but wife and I have shot pistols for many years and still do. We've both had our CCW permits for 11 years. I've reloaded .357 and .38 SPL for the last 35 years. We still enjoy target practice at our farm. I also have a a Remington 870 12 ga and hunted blue quail when we lived in Texas. Also reloaded 12 ga.

These below are for carry. ;)

orig.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the PAST pad. I plan to take the lightest loads I can find with me. Haven't been ammo shopping lately, but I figure it can't be worse than trying to find 9mm or .380. Went to 4 stores back in March before I found some.

Tass

Shooting - It's just like golf, only noisier

Shooting - It's just like golf, only noisier

Tass,

I have been shooting all my life. After AVR, I waited until about 4 months to start handgun shooting again, and about 6 months to shoot rifles and shotguns. Since my surgery, I have been using Limbsaver shirts with a recoil pad and a folded up towel when shooting bench rest rifles. I forgot to wear the pad and I sighted in a new .30-06 about a month ago, that left me with a a huge bruise that ran down my arm to my elbow. Ooops. Last week, I went back to the range with the 06 and recoil gear . . . no problem. I also hunted doves last Wednesday and Friday with a 12 ga. . . shot about 75 shells without turning a hair. I usually put on an EVO undershirt, and the Limbsavers. I have a PAST Pad, but I rarely use it. Just to clumsy for me. Next month I will be antelope hunting in WY, probably will use the Limbsaver pads but leave the PAST pad at home.

Just to clarify, I'm not considering the AR15 for home defense, just for sport and recreation.

Home defense is another issue. I've always like the story/urban legend that the just the sound of cocking a pump action shotgun is the best deterent to a home invader.

Mark

Mark,

It's an urban legend. One night while investigating a silent alarm, I jacked a round into the chamber and the burglar came right at me. I had to buttstroke him with the gun. After I had him in cuffs, he told me that he intended to try and take the shotgun from me. Oh well, that didn't work out for him. For HD I would recommend a .40 call DA/SA pistol with a laser, over a long gun. Just my humble opinion. . .

Go for it

Go for it

I had my valve done 2 years ago. I am a soldier and part of my duties is managing ranges qualifying troops on the ranges, as a member of our ordnance corps I have fired everything since my op even artillery !

Go fo it go now !

jorsarge

Back