Shelf life of test strips

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

I use the Coaguchek meter and they supply my test strips. They ship me a couple boxes every couple of months, whether I request them or not. Ive got a bit of a stockpile built up and have like 6 boxes of test strips in reserve. Anyone know the shelf life of test strips? I see no expiration listed on the packaging anywhere.

F90FB102-A7B4-41F1-BE13-196A3A1AB56A.jpeg

So the expiry date of these is 30th September 2021, I only have one left so time to buy some more...
I recall theres something in the meter that reads the date of the strip and wont let it run a test if expired but if you trick the meter by changing the date you can use after the expiry date, I have never tried this myself.
I think Ive read other posts regarding expired strips accuracy, I guess they expire for a reason. I’d assume its a bit like expired milk, a few days over and it still tastes ok but a week or so and its gross yogurt.

Last edited:
Anyone know the shelf life of test strips? I see no expiration listed on the packaging anywhere.
When my wife gets her Coaguchek XS test strips delivered as part of her BioTel service, the expiration dates are usually 6-10 months out. As it appears you are also receiving the strips as part of a service, give them a call, tell them they sent you some strips without expiration dates and ask for replacements.

As Warrick mentioned, the machine will throw an error if you try to use a strip beyond its expiration date. So, perhaps you can try using up the strips without the expiration date and if/when the machine rejects them, you can then use your "dated" unexpired strips.

They ship me a couple boxes every couple of months, whether I request them or not.

I've used the same service since spring 2020. They send new strips too often. I now have 5 boxes, but all have expirations into late 2022. I called them last month and asked to be taken off their auto ship list. Going forward I'll just request strips using the website when I run low.

I recall theres something in the meter that reads the date of the strip and wont let it run a test if expired but if you trick the meter by changing the date you can use after the expiry date, I have never tried this myself.

Yeah that works. I did that a few years ago when I had a couple strips a month past expiration. That was on an older meter, but I assume it will work on the current Coaguchek Vantas meter.

Yeah, I’ve realized since they ship them if I need them or not, it’s most likely just so they can bill my insurance. Of course! Did check my dates now that I realize where it is. All the boxes I have are good til 2022 it looks like, so they have at least a year shelf life

I've some strips that may well "expire" before I use them. Has anyone tried to "game" the system with expired strips by setting the Coaguchek XS machine date to before the expiration date?
It's likely be be a month or so, not years. I understand the risk etc. etc.

Latest posts

Back