Shaky and Kinda Scary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
I know this is a heart forum, not a diabetic forum, but we can digress in Small Talk and of course venting is always welcome on vr.com. So I am going to vent a little about a weird episode I just had. Of course I am a type 2 diabetic and I try to watch what I eat pretty closely. But sometimes the danger is not just high blood sugar but unanticipated extreme lows.

Today I had my usual bowl of oatmeal. Then my wife got up later and poached some eggs as a treat, so I enjoyed that late breakfast and decided it would do for lunch, too. I passed up the opportunity to grab a burger or something when I was out mid-afternoon because I figured I didn't need the extra calories. For dinner, we had homemade soup with not a lot of beef in it, not much protein -- tasty but not very substantial. And I drank a big glass of cranapple juice, which I hardly ever do at dinnertime.

Then about 10, realizing I hadn't had much exercise, I rode my stationary bike pretty hard in the basement. When I finished -- wow! -- I felt very shaky and unstable. I took my blood sugar -- and sure enough I had bonked with my blood sugar at the lowest I had ever recorded -- some 60 points below my evening usual. I actually was so shaky and weak I felt like I could pass out. So I have been cramming carb and yes sugary snacks (like Classic Coke, which I usually drink little of; it's the wife's stash) for the past half-hour and I think I am recovering. Of course the calories I burned while biking have now been added back, and then some. :(

Anyway, I know there are some fellow Type IIs on here, and I guess the moral of this (beyond my venting) is not to let yourself over-exert somewhere (such as on a long hike) and be caught without snacks to bring your glucose levels back up. Could be dangerous.

If anyone has read this latest peril of Bionic Bob, thanks for listening. :)

BAD ROB ! (spoken like "BAD DOG")

You should know better :)

ORANGE JUICE (Not REAL Coke) is the way to bring up your Blood Sugar.

And don't forget those 100 calorie between meal Snacks!

Some Type 2's are advised to eat 6 small meals a day as an alternative.

'AL Capshaw'

(What happened to my Icon's? They don't come up anymore!)

You're right, AL -- why do I always read this kind of good advice after the crisis, instead of heeding it before? :) Anyway, I will try to do better. For others for whom this may be a concern, here is a good article about diabetes, exercising, and snacks I found this morning (I feel better this morning, BTW)...

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_exerproa_crs.htm

Appreciate your good thoughts as always, Al.

Cheers,

Hey BBB (bad bionic Bob):D

My daughter has suffered from low blood sugar for years. Her darling husband figured out a long time ago to get up and give her a cup of orange juice before he lets her start stirring around. She acts goofy and is apt to pass out otherwise.:eek: :eek:

I just wanted you to know you're not alone out there!:)

Thanks, Mary! It is always good to know you're not alone.

However, I am goofy no matter what my blood sugar reading is. :p

I tend to drink cranapple juice instead of orange juice. Wonder if it is just as good as a fruit/vit C drink. (But maybe I should have some orange juice around to sip on, too.)

Rob, I'm glad you are OK now. We've a friend at church who halfway through the service (averages 2 hours) has a balance bar otherwise he does the same thing. He does the same thing on other days too but I usually only see him on Sundays.

When I worked in the ER we commonly had diabetic patients brought in by ambulances whose blood sugars had bombed. They often reminded me of hummingbirds who collapse and after feeding them a few drops of sugar water are off and flying again. It was such a dramatic recovery once someone had his sugar level brought up to normal. It wouldn't be such a bad idea for you to get a tube of high concentration glucose that is sold in drugstores to have around. If you pass out your wife could just twist off the top and squeeze the gel between your cheek and teeth. It is absorbed really well through the membrane of the cheek and by the time the ambulance arrives you might be awake and talking. I forget the name of the stuff but the pharmacist should know.

How old were you when you was diagnosed as a type II diabetic?

Rob...Your Not The Only One Who Had A Bad Low Blood Sugar...

Rob...Your Not The Only One Who Had A Bad Low Blood Sugar...

I had one this weekend at my parents house, and my blood sugar dropped to 45, so needless to say, I was rattling worse than an old model T Ford. I thought I was going to go into a coma but my mother got me some food quickly enough that I recovered from the low in about an hour. I guess I did more than I was supposed to as well....Not Fun is it...?? Harrybaby:eek: :eek:

OK, now that we know you are OK and have been properly admonished at the "Type II Revival", How is your PUPPY?

We Dog Lovers want to know !

'AL Capshaw'

Betty and Harry,

It was about a year or so before my heart surgery (so about 3 years ago) that my GP started warning me that I was "prediabetic." My numbers are still pretty much borderline Type 2, but I am trying to keep things under control. Sure don't want all the consequences of full-blown diabetes. And Harry, you sure are right: It is a funny feeling (okay not really funny :D ) when the blood sugar bonks on you. A helpless feeling. My worst episodes have been after I exercise (which I know I need to do). I do need to have planned snacks to take care of that. And emergency glucose tablets are a good idea. I had some around a year ago or so, but darn if I know where they are now. :eek: Thanks for the encouragement.

Sadie Dog

Sadie Dog

ALCapshaw2 said:
OK, now that we know you are OK and have been properly admonished at the "Type II Revival", How is your PUPPY?

We Dog Lovers want to know !

'AL Capshaw'

I've been thinking about doing an update on my sweet Sadie but she got so much attention after her injury, I was afraid of hogging the Forum. Thanks for asking!

Anyway, Sadie is doing very well, praise the Lord. She wants to go flying around the yard, playing ball, chasing varmits, like the Sadie of old. I am trying my best to make her settle for gentle ball-playing and shorter walks for now. That right rear hip apparently is seated back in the socket pretty well. We were lucky to get her to an emergency clinic an hour after the accident. The vet did a great job of getting it back in place and putting her leg in that sling right away (which must have been uncomfortable but seems to have done the job).

Hopefully, she'll be okay now for the long haul. Just praying she doesn't slam that rear leg hard against anything (like a fence or something). Really greatly appreciate all the concerns and prayers for her from the good folks of vr.com.

Back