Sex after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carverelli

My wifey has been limiting our sexy time pre surgery. She doesn't want me to croak while we're doin it.. Lol.
It's been a month since we've had what I call vigorous sex. My question is to those men out there who have had ohs. How long after surgery did it take before you " wanted some" and how long was it before there weren't any limitations after engagement.
Very curious as sex was always very important to me.

Oh boy, I get to be the first to answer. About 3-4 weeks, but I stayed on the bottom for a few weeks to limit the weight I placed on my on my chest and arms. But I "wanted some" soner than that! :)

Shortly after surgery, I went to a presentation my cardiologist then and his wife (also a cardiologist) gave; it was designed for especially CABG patients, of course, but there were no limitations whatsoever placed on sexual activity, unless, if I remember correctly, it involved a trapeze.

most of the weight bearing on the hands would put way too much pressure on the sternum I'm sure of. I kind of forgot about that. Maybe I can use of few of my "birhtdays favors" the first month after surgery. that way I can just lie back and enjoy it without stressing my body too much.
but as stated previuosly, being on bottom is another option that would work nicely. years ago my wife liked that one but if I remember she would put her hands on my chest to hold herself while she worked her magic.

Self love is prolly out of the question for the first month post op, lol.

I think it was about at the fourth week. Surprisingly I was the ONE to wait, being a bit paranoid about my sternum. Then one night I came into the bedroom, and there she was, standing there saying with the lights dimmed, "okay geezer, it’s your time". I hesitated, then said, “Let’s do this!” Now I have to chase her, she says it’s good cardio for my heart. Without her this whole thing would have been more of a trek.

This is a public forum that google can see ;) so I will refrain from answering this question directly. My answer will be more exercise related.

I was able to squat bodyweight for sets of 10 and walk & speed walk by week 3 pretty capably for 30-60 minutes. I was squatting with cables on week 4, bodyweight + bodyweight on my back on weeks 5 - 6. More gym goodness here - http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?40352-More-gym-goodness-8-week-update This sort of intensity should assure you that my cardio-vascular conditioning allowed me to do all sort of things. I heard somewhere that if you can make it up two flights of stairs on your own you can do most anything you want in the bedroom ;)

From reading literature, though, it seems it's significant others who are more hesitant to do things as they are afraid something might go wrong. Perhaps, cardiologists can start giving our prescriptions for this.

I think it was about four or five weeks for us, and we were both a bit nervous - my man didn't want to hurt me and I didn't want him to either!!! But all went well. Hell, might even do it again one day ;)

They say once you are able to climb two flights of stairs without any difficulties, you are good to go. I waited until about 2 months or so, but I just wasn't feeling up tp it before then. And remember, sex is a great form of exercise! :thumbup:

I was ready for something about 2 days after surgery. Too many cute nurses. :) However, I waited a bit less than a month due to fear, not lack of desire. Of course no acrobatics and I was not on top. My only problem was ED due to the BP medications, things worked, but not as well as before. Things were better when the meds changed at month 4. By month 6, back to normal.

I tried a few days after surgery and found that everything was working but my chest was too painful for the first month to be able to really want to it.

well, my husband only gave me a week to recover..and i am still here.... but i can't answer for the men who have had surgery. that is probably really hard on the sternum....i would have no choice but to wait at least 3/4 weeks after surgery if i were a guy!

My hospital has a whole pamphlet on sex after OHS that they give you with everything else. Basically it says start slow and build up to it...as if we need a pamphlet for that. :) There are even recommendations for positions.

Also be mindful of the potential side effects of medications you are taking, especially if they are new to you. Beta blockers, bloodpressure meds and some diuretics can have a negative impact on the guys.

You'll ease back into it just like everything else. The BP meds might slow you down a little. You may need to be honest with your doctor about why you need to try different meds or whether you really need them at all. In my case at 4 weeks I was still a little limited but at 8 weeks it was all good.

Back