Severe Aortic Regurgitation Leading to Second Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your suggested plan sounds good in theory, but is not realistic in todays American job market. Yeah, if you are very persistent they will grant you the entire interview slate, and pretend they have a robust diversity program etc., but in reality their is significant age discrimination especially against older white males > 55. Older women, or those of other races, nationalities etc. all stand a better chance because they help fill the Corporate diversity slate. So, after medical care this is another one of America's big issues/challenges.
I know first hand what @slipkid is referring to, as I've been there. The only place left for older people is Consulting, if you are fortunate enough to have a niche and find the opportunity. In that realm age, experience, and wisdom are all appreciated and needed.
And forgot to tell you White, female with 28 years of office experience with computer skills, but they will not hire a 50 plus white female when there are plenty of the 20plus young women out there with the same skills.

And forgot to tell you White, female with 28 years of office experience with computer skills, but they will not hire a 50 plus white female when there are plenty of the 20plus young women out there with the same skills.

You live in KC MO; jobs are pretty available right now for everyone. Maybe you need to change your approach to job hunting.

You live in KC MO; jobs are pretty available right now for everyone. Maybe you need to change your approach to job hunting.
I have been on SSDI for several years, no more working for me. But it does burn me when people say they cannot find a job, when there are millions of open positions out there. City Hall here every week has jobs to be filled. I was let go at 53, so there is age discrimination everywhere.

My surgery is scheduled for June 1st! I'm fortunate to be in Colorado where we have a long ski season I'm milking. :D

Question: In the category of best-laid plans, we have a beach vacation planned to fly out on Aug 6th, 8 weeks out from my surgery. I only plan to kick back and relax. We can cancel up to a month out. Crazy?

It will be my second open surgery, aortic valve replacement, most likely mechanical.

I'm still feeling great, totally asymptomatic. Skiing with the boy today at Copper Mountain:

PXL_20220415_202429663.jpg

My surgery is scheduled for June 1st! I'm fortunate to be in Colorado where we have a long ski season I'm milking. :D

Question: In the category of best-laid plans, we have a beach vacation planned to fly out on Aug 6th, 8 weeks out from my surgery. I only plan to kick back and relax. We can cancel up to a month out. Crazy?

It will be my second open surgery, aortic valve replacement, most likely mechanical.

I'm still feeling great, totally asymptomatic. Skiing with the boy today at Copper Mountain:

View attachment 888500
Personally, I'd say you're fine. Skiing indicates your in good shape. 8 weeks after surgery you'll most likely feel totally normal except for the new scar reminders. Beach relaxation will be perfect. Look forward to it and enjoy.

In terms of the 8 weeks out, I had my replacement 5 months ago and everything went great (52M, active). I was well into recovery at 8 weeks out but although I was walking close to 10 km per day at that stage, I still had some aches, pains and some severe sleep issues (which can be common). So, in my own experience anyway, I was doing well at 8 weeks but I wasn't back to "normal" for about 3 months.

For me, the physical recovery went very well by 8 weeks but I found the "mental" recovery tougher (by mental I mean not sleeping, stressing about the odd ectopic that could spiral into being convinced that I had Afib as a result of my subconscious making me feel loads of palpitations which weren't real at all but felt real to me, trying to get used to the new sensations and sound changes when lying on pillow for instance, lots of stuff like that which can be quite draining).

I had focused on the physical recovery beforehand but be prepared for some mental recovery too. Again, that's just my own personal experience but I found that I was much better recovered physically and mentally by three months. In fairness, I'd have to say my sleeping still isn't great after 5 months and I'm still prone to the odd over-reaction in my head to a skipped beat or something but I dont panic about these things any more.

After a long rambling post I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you might well be fine at 8 weeks out but it's difficult to predict for sure whether it's too early or not. Even though my physical recovery went very well, I'm not sure if I would have been up to it at 8 weeks, 3 months yes, definitely but 8 weeks, I dunno. Not sure I'd have enjoyed it as mych as I should. I think it all depends on your individual recovery.

Last edited:

I think you'll probably be just fine at 8 weeks for a trip like that. Personally, I felt very well at the 8 week mark. Maybe just leave the heavy suitcases to someone else.

I also think that psychologically it's a great plan to have a nice trip like that to look forward to after your surgery.

I had mine at 54 and was eating out within a week, taking easy walks in the mountains within 3 weeks and we took two beach vacations a week long each time within 3 months.

I was not 100% for probably 6 months but easily well enough to enjoy the vacations after a month or so.

That's me skiing behind a friend while holding my phone in one hand and poles in the other. I'm hoping to be good as new for next season.
cool! My advice is to get a gopro ... cheaper than an iPhone (should it get wrecked) that's for sure

I use mine on a chest strap

I don't know what you're getting in valve selection, but if you end up needing help on INR management feel free to stop on by.

I hope you have an event free recovery

Best Wishes

^^^ Thanks! I'm going mechanical, most likely On-x. We'll see what he decides tomorrow.
well if you end up with On-X just be cautious about their low INR protocol. If it was me going again, knowing what I know now, I'd get a St Jude
And I do have a GoPro, just too lazy to set it up every time.

This is a special video with my GoPro, as it was just six months after my first OHS:
sure looks like better snow than that previous vid

My surgery day is tomorrow!

Here's my last day skiing for the season at Mary Jane two weeks ago.

That's me skiing behind a friend while holding my phone in one hand and poles in the other. I'm hoping to be good as new for next season.

Thanks for all the excellent advice!

Best of luck with your procedure Skier! Please keep us posted and give us an update when you come through on the other side! Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Hi Skier
Sun of a gun!
"BAV was also repaired." VS replaced?
Are they relating this to your training?

well if you end up with On-X just be cautious about their low INR protocol. If it was me going again, knowing what I know now, I'd get a St Jude

sure looks like better snow than that previous vid

OnX was developed by the same guys that designed st jude, so, if anything , OnX is a better St Jude
DUE TO the fact that:

OnX is the only mech valve that the leafs open 90 degrees,,,, and from there is the fact that it is
a better st jude,

the inr range, is not the issue, both work well at 2.0

Latest posts

Back