Seeing another cardiology

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie-62

I saw my cardiology last week. My Aortic Valve Stenosis is between Moderate and Severe. I will see him in July to do another echogram. Or if I should get any symptoms call him, or go to the hospital.

I will also be seeing another Cardiology for a second opinion. I feel that the Cardiology I am seeing now, I don’t feel comfortable with this doctor. The doctor is rated good, but says things that don’t make sense to me.

Like a patient went to get the valve done, wanted to get the operation behind, 80 years old and died.
Did I need to hear that!!!!! The doctor goes around me when questions are asked. Don’t want to go back to this doctor. I gave this doctor two changes, and I am done.

SO, I will being seeing a new Cardiology.

My anxiety kick in, trying to be calm

Certainly not the things you expect to come out of a so called cardiologists mouth, so don't blame you at all for looking elsewhere, hope your new one ticks the right boxes

I was VERY glad I went to a second doc for a second opinion. She was so informed and informative! I immediately switched to her.

She had a good point about the first doc I saw. He was a surgeon, whereas she is a "preventative cardiologist". She told me that the first doc I saw was known to her and that she would recommend him without reservation if I needed a stent or actual surgery. But sometimes, a surgeon does not see a problem that needs to be fixed if the patient does not need surgery right now. That can make it seem as though they are blowing you off (and in a way they are) because they don't see the need to do anything until surgery is needed.

Anyway, I am much happier with my current doc, who is working with me to stave off my surgeries for as long as possible.

Marie, I went to a second cardio also. I saw the first one only twice when my BAV was diagnosed. My GP sent me to him for testing when I had shortness of breath. He seemed competent enough but here was this guy I didn't know scheduling me for surgery ASAP when I was still in a state of shock. When a friend suggested I see someone in her group of cardiologists I followed through and was very pleased. You have to do what you feel is best. Good luck and keep us posted.

Marie - When I was first diagnosed, my aortic stenosis was moderate-to-severe. My then cardio wanted to treat me as if I was in my 80's, restricting activity and just having me wait until surgery was necessary. The problem was that I was a very active person, runner, etc., and was only in my mid-50's. I "fired" that cardio and researched other cardio's on the web. I found one who had a professed specialty in valvular heart disease among younger patients, at another local hospital. It was a night and day difference. The second cardio "got it" and helped me to learn about my condition; we jointly managed my treatment. I was heart-broken (pun accepted) when he left the area, but I transferred to one of his associates who is just as good. Between the two docs, they got me through almost 11 years until my surgery. The third, and current cardio, was the one who helped me through choosing surgeons and then took over my after surgery case management.

Remember. . . you are the patient, and in this case it is just like being a customer. You get to make a lot of your own treatment and care management decisions, and from my experience and from reading posts here, when we take charge like that the outcomes are usually better.

I want to thank you all. This web site help me learn a lot, and sometimes I was over whelm, but I always come back to you guys,.to learn more. YOUR THE BEST

I am thankful for you. You help the new ones coming on board, kisses anf hugs to all of you.

I am in the same boat. MY cardiologist may be a good doctor but not much of a salesman. He said I qualified for a TAVR study. Well, lucky me! With no symptoms and moderate/severe gradient I am in a quandary. At 65 should I embrace this opportunity or wait?

I am in the same boat. MY cardiologist may be a good doctor but not much of a salesman. He said I qualified for a TAVR study. Well, lucky me! With no symptoms and moderate/severe gradient I am in a quandary. At 65 should I embrace this opportunity or wait?
So you don't need surgery yet but they would do it now as part of a study? That doesn't make sense to me, for you or for the study. While I am grateful to those that participate in studies, advancing the science, I would think a study such as this carries some risk over and above conventional approaches.

J.retiredguy - From the little bit of info you've posted, it sounds like you have aortic stenosis. If so, and you are now moderate to severe, you may have some years between now and surgery. I was initially diagnosed at age 52 as moderate to severe aortic stenosis, and I didn't need surgery until over 11 years later. I wouldn't rush off for TAVI unless I needed surgery and couldn't tolerate the traditional open-heart valve surgery. As Don said, I would applaud you if you chose to enter the study to help further the knowledge and experience of the medical community, but aside from that, I would opt for traditional surgery. At the present, the valves used in the TAVI procedure are not expected to last as long as the ones used in traditional open-heart procedures. So, you might "get off easy" this time, but you might still need to have another surgery in the future. Why not wait until it is needed, then do it the "old" way?

Latest posts

Back