Second time for aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi folks, it's been a long time since I was back in this community. I had my original aortic valve replaced in 2008. Now, due to severe regurgitation caused by the deterioration of the replacement valve, I'm scheduled for another replacement surgery on 14 November. Since I've been through this before, I'm really interested in any tips or new things to think about for those who have had multiple valve replacement surgeries. I would appreciate any words of wisdom and encouragement! Thanks!

Hey Dave

Sorry to hear you only got a short time out of the valve.

Second time you know what to expect and that recovery is what it is. There are less mysteries

You'll do fine I'm sure.

Have you decided what prosthesis you'll go with this time?

​​​​​​​Best Wishes

oops, forgot to add (and editing sometimes makes my posts vanish)

no specific tips. For me the 2nd and the third were more or less "as I expected" and were in the rear view mirror (although with the infection I got in the 3rd, no to much). The time between surgeries for me was about 20 years each (homograft of 2nd lasted about 20).

Apart from the surprise infection there were no real surprises in recovery. I was 48 on the last one.

So just follow the procedure, no over extending, keep to restrictions, small steps forward - no slides back from over doing it.

Hope you have a text book recovery

:)

Hi, Dave,

I can't add much from the medical/technical perspective, as my valve was replaced almost 7 years ago. You have my sympathy in the relatively short lifespan of your piggy valve. I remember even when I had my cow valve implanted how optimistic the docs were about the expected longevity of the then-current valves. That's about the only thing that may be significantly different -- there is now a 4th generation of valves coming out. The newest Edwards valve (there is a thread recently about it, I think in the Valve Selection forum) is supposed to have an anticipated lifespan of about 20 years.

Since your valve was replaced some years before mine, I'm not sure if yours is considered 2nd or 3rd generation. I do know that the expected lifespan of the valves has increased with each successive generation.

I hope you have a smooth recovery. With the train wreck that my first recovery was, I may hope for TAVR if I need a re-do. . .

David, I can relate as my porcine valve didn't last much over 4 years before my second surgery in 2016. I had differen't doc, hospital, and ON-X valve with second procedure and recovery was basically the same.

Like Steve said, technology is changing and will be an advantage to your receiving the latest. I have other issues not related to my heart but am very pleased with my AVR.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery and we will be here when you come back to let us know how it went. Now is the time to take good care of yourself as you prepare for the days ahead.

Hi Dave,

I am among those who cannot offer any experience on having a second surgery as my original On-X is still clicking away, but I did want to wish you the best on the next round. For me, even with all the great info from others on this site, I learned so much about me, how my body heals and those in my support group during my valve replacement and recovery that would make make facing another much more comfortable to go through. I hope the same will be true for you. Keep us posted.

Ditto to what Daniel said. I’m not ready for replacement yet but expect to be at that point in the future. So I wish you well through surgery and recovery.

Thanks, everyone! I'm actually a little curious how I'll handle the second go around, now knowing what to expect. I remember back in 2008 much of my distress was the sheer unknown about what was to come, and the fear about that. I'm hoping that I take it a little more in stride, but I do also remember feeling like I got run over by a truck. I'm sure that won't change. I'm getting a cow valve this time, and I am indeed hoping that this generation of valve will last a lot longer. One thing I did ahead of time this time was to get a lift chair for the first few weeks of recovery. I found that indispensable in '08, but had to discover that I needed it the first day I got home from the hospital and found the chair and sleep arrangements I'd prepared were completely unsatisfactory. I didn't realize how hard it is to get up and down without relying on your arms!

Hi Dave l had my aortic valve and anurysam repair in Oct 16 and then had merchanical valve fitted in sept 17 so only 11 months between due to failed repair. I know everyone is different but from my experience second time round I was more relaxed knowing what to expect I personally think the not knowing first time was the hardest challenge mentally . As for the physical side of the operations the second op I found that I recovered and got back to work easier than my first I do believe that because I was mentally ready for the op the recovery side did seem easier Hope this helps and good luck Dave

Hi Dave l had my aortic valve and anurysam repair in Oct 16 and then had merchanical valve fitted in sept 17 so only 11 months between due to failed repair. I know everyone is different but from my experience second time round I was more relaxed knowing what to expect I personally think the not knowing first time was the hardest challenge mentally . As for the physical side of the operations the second op I found that I recovered and got back to work easier than my first I do believe that because I was mentally ready for the op the recovery side did seem easier Hope this helps and good luck Dave

Thank you Paul1972, I appreciate your post. I do feel a little more relaxed having gone through it before, and I'm glad your experience post operation reflected that, as well. I'm scheduled for surgery on 19 February now. Only a few more days to go. Best regards, Dave

Dave,
Best of luck with the upcoming operation. I had the St. Jude Medical Trifecta GT bovine bioprosthetic (27mm) installed May 1, 2019. I think this is a 3rd generation valve and my Japanese doctors gave me a 8-12 year window for the life of the valve. They were/are hopeful that the replacement down the road can be done via TAVI procedure rather than OHS given the much shorter recovery time. Canada now covers the TAVI procedure and Japan's National Healthcare System is expected to cover it soon.
Take it slow with the recovery. A major shock to a vital organ and it takes time for the device to become one with your heart. As I was told, treat it like a little bird. Your heart will eventually help you fly again, but step by step is very important for a linear event free recovery. JCG

All the best Dave I will be thinking of you on the 19th and I’m sure you will be fine as I am, I will look forward to seeing more of your posts on your recovery .Good luck Best regards Paul.

Latest posts

Back