Second opinion?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

ejc61

Well I got a second because I was interested in the different techniques available, i.e, right thoracotomy via port access or robotic. Otherwise, how comfortable were you with the first? Did something concern you for example.

jeff406

I've am comfortable with the first and the facility. I have had several friends suggest that I get a second opinion. Just looking for this group's feedback.

Rapidman

I was able to get a virtual second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic before my procedure 4 years ago at the Mayo Clinic. I forwarded my echos, CT scans and notes, it was an easy process.

rich01

I got 3. Part of that was I wanted to be in the TAVR trial, but the 2nd cardiologist over-reacted after my cardiac cath and I quickly changed to a different cardiologist. I had complete faith in the 3rd cardiologist when I met him.

All in all, from the 1st time my echo indicated a valve problem to 3 years later when it was replaced, I saw 6 different cardiologists. The 1st 3 never took the time to explain that valve replacement was in my near future.

tom in MO

I got three opinions on the need for surgery. First from my cardiologist, second from my surgeon and third from my general practitioner.

Never ever ever let someone cut you w/o two opinions from doctors who know what is needed for your condition. Three is even better. Never ever ever let someone cut you w/o researching it yourself. Back in the dark ages, I actually went to the library and got books :)

angiedavis

I got a second opinion and ended up changing doctors. I ended up going to the Cleveland Clinic after my heart doctor just wanted to do a heart cath on me instead of open heart surgery. My original doctor made me go through all types of unnecessary tests, including a test to see if I had alzheimers ( I am 49) and repeated other tests that even the insurance company didn't charge me for later after I talked to them. It was a very scary time for me. The second doctor didn't want to say anything bad about the first doctor but I could tell he thought his practices were questionable.

angiedavis

I've am comfortable with the first and the facility. I have had several friends suggest that I get a second opinion. Just looking for this group's feedback.
My dad wanted me to get a second opinion because he is a "praying man" and thought my heart would heal itself or go away. I think maybe that might be what your friends are hoping for.