scheduled for ascending aorta, root and bav replace, vsd repair and 2 procedures to stop afib and arrhythmia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brynn

I am scheduled to undergo these procedures next week. ascd aorta 5.5, root 5.0, afib for several months now. Any advice out there, I am starting to get very nervous, this is a big surgery. Lived my life with congenital heart probs 2 prev coarc repairs. I am female 62 and asymptomatic except for continuous afib and arrhythmia. Quite healthy and athletic, but this summer thru me for a loop. Went from a 4.4 measure to 5.5 in 7 months, so drs feel urgent to replace and repair. Surgey at UNC Chapel Hill with chief of cardiothoracic.

Sounds like you're headed the same place for your big surgery (UNC) that I headed for mine back in mid-September and likely the very same surgeon ("Dr. Ikon"). My ascending aortic aneurysm was 5.6 and the UNC team took that out nicely and also installed a new bovine valve to replace my 15-year-old porcine one. All that went well; only glitch was one of their lines loosed a cascade of blood clots but they were all over the task of zapping those. Fine surgical team and great nursing care. You should do well. All best to you.

It's hard not to be nervous, but rest easy in the fact that you are in good shape, you have a good team, and you are young compared to many other successful patients.

In the week before my surgery I focused on things that I had put off (will, cleaning my bedroom, throwing out old clothes, donating used books, etc.) or would help recovery (thorough cleaning of my TV room.)

Good comedies can help distract you and lift your spirits. I always like the Naked Gun series. If you like Eddie Murphy, his new movie Dolemite is My Name if funny, but not recommended if you don't like off-color humor. I like mysteries and they can be good distractions.

If you are religious a little more prayer helps (e.g. rosary) and make sure you go to church on Sunday :)

Good luck!

Brynn, I have also have aneurysm ascending aorta, leaking valve with afib, and was told there was a procedure to address the afib when the repairs were made. Did you get any information on this? I am still in the waiting room. Sure you will come out well on the other side.

It's hard not to be nervous, but rest easy in the fact that you are in good shape, you have a good team, and you are young compared to many other successful patients.

In the week before my surgery I focused on things that I had put off (will, cleaning my bedroom, throwing out old clothes, donating used books, etc.) or would help recovery (thorough cleaning of my TV room.)

Good comedies can help distract you and lift your spirits. I always like the Naked Gun series. If you like Eddie Murphy, his new movie Dolemite is My Name if funny, but not recommended if you don't like off-color humor. I like mysteries and they can be good distractions.

If you are religious a little more prayer helps (e.g. rosary) and make sure you go to church on Sunday :)

Good luck!
Yes I have been doing a great deal of fall cleaning! Listen to funny podcasts and I have some great prayer warriors out there! Thank you!

Brynn, I have also have aneurysm ascending aorta, leaking valve with afib, and was told there was a procedure to address the afib when the repairs were made. Did you get any information on this? I am still in the waiting room. Sure you will come out well on the other side.
Yes they are going to do an operative tissue ablation during this surgery and an atrial appendage ligation to fix the flutter, arrhythmia and afib.

Sounds like you're headed the same place for your big surgery (UNC) that I headed for mine back in mid-September and likely the very same surgeon ("Dr. Ikon"). My ascending aortic aneurysm was 5.6 and the UNC team took that out nicely and also installed a new bovine valve to replace my 15-year-old porcine one. All that went well; only glitch was one of their lines loosed a cascade of blood clots but they were all over the task of zapping those. Fine surgical team and great nursing care. You should do well. All best to you.
i llove that you had Dr. Ikon!! His surgical staff seems to be top notch! I leave tomorrow for CH, the preop procedures are numerous. I have appts from 8 am till 4pm wednesday, then surgery on thursday. No time to really dwell, which is good! Glad to hear your surgery was totally successful, but the blood clot thing is my biggest fear. I made the mistake of watching Greys Anatomy on thursday, the chief of cardiothoracic lost a patient due to the patient not responding to heprin and blood clots blocked the bypass machine. I'm glad to hear Dr Ikon is on top of that problem, it kinda freaked me out lol!!

Sure sounds like your time is all blocked out between now and your surgery. That day full of appointments will be a heaping helping! I hope all goes extremely smoothly for you, Brynn.

Latest posts

Back