scared

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Fecteau

just got informed I have aorta stenosis 08 severe. Iam totaly on full tilt and not sure how or what isa going to happen. Very affraid of dying and not sure why. Read some threads and cannot believe the courage all of you have jn facing this problem. I wish they would just get it done instead of makiong me wait, How do you handle the fear

Sit back, relax and begin to read to educate yourself. It is not the end of the world....it is only a hickup. There is something about OHS that scares hell outa people....but as you so your reserch, you will find that millions have successfully gone thru it. Stick around....this is the best forum you will find for common sense info and support.

Nothing to be scared about, But you wont know that until you go through it. For me it was my second open heart surgery. All I can tell you is getting my knew onx mech. valve was a snap. BY pas surgery was much harder After this surgery I was walking 3 miles every other day three weeks after surgery and now 10 weeks out Im walking 8 miles a day every day at a 17 min. per mile pace but sunday. Oh btw im 62 years old next week. The waiting was hell and the surgery in the hands of a great surgeon can be easy. There is really no pain just a very sore back for a few days. Knowlege is power ! pick a major hospital and the best surgeon. Just tell the folks here where you live and where you think to get it done and you can find out all most anything you need . Now take a deep breath and relax. God does not put more on your plate than you can handle. Just pick a MAJOR HOSPITAL and a surgeon that does over three surgerys a week. Your going to be fine.

I respectfully disagree. There is every reasonable expectation a person would be frightened facing open heart surgery. If that doesn't scare a person, what will? I've had two and was no less frightened the second time around even though I knew far more about the high success rate and how incredibly safe it really is. Though we, as patients, are close to overwhelmed at the thought of it, the professionals who take care of us do it day in and day out and it is another day at the office for them.

Pick doctors with whom you feel safe, be sure you trust them, go to a hospital with a reputation for excellent cardiac care. Who care if they have a great maternity ward if you're having heart surgery. If you don't like the doctor or hospital first mentioned, pick another.

The advice about surgeon is good to be sure he doesn't just do coronary bypass surgeries most of the time. You want someone who does valves week in and week out. Keep looking to find the right surgeon. It is so important.

But most of all..... READ this board as much as you feel comfortable doing so. You'll read post after post about all of us who have successfully undergone these surgeries and are living full, active, happy lives. Without this surgery, we would not have survived.

The more you learn, the more comfortable you will feel about what you are facing. This is one of those times that more knowledge really is very, very comforting.

We'll help you in every way possible. Ask your questions..... we all had them. I promised myself after my second surgery and all I learned here that I would hang around to see if maybe one post I wrote could help someone else. I was so grateful for the support and help I had here that I remain posting to see if I can help in the smallest way.

Hi Randy!

We're so glad you joined us. We are here 24/7 for help and support for just the kind of things you are feeling.

It is hard to get your arms around everything when it hits you so suddenly. Many people here have been in your shoes!! And yes, the waiting is the hardest part!! I had to wait 3 years and not one day was easy.

It is normal to be frightened. Arm yourself with information, make lists of questions, keep your mind on SUCCESS! This IS happening to you and you will succeed. You will live a lovely, full, healthy life. This is just a little "mountain to climb". You will be able to do it.

So come back with a little more information about what kind of valve you are choosing, how soon you will be having the surgery, etc. etc.. We can speak more directly to your personal situation if we know more about it. Even though everyone has a completely different experience (there are so many little variables) we all feel the anxiety, the discomfort, go through recovery... so ask away.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Hey Randy,
I just had my aortic valve replaced at the end of April 2011, my 51st birthday. It was sudden, I went to the doctor on the 15 or so for what I thought was bad asthma, 2 1/2 weeks later I was under the knife. I had endocarditis that wrecked my valve. It's a bit of an eye opening roller coaster but I got through it and feel good. I mowed the lawn today. I can still ride the quad and by next season I should be back racing the 4x4 again. I saw the cardiologist today and he gave me a clean bill of health. I still have some getting back into shape to do but it's all good. I know how scared you must be, the support and advice you'll get on here will help a great deal. I've only been registered a short while and it's helped SOO much. I wish I'd found them before surgery. Education is power and will aleve many off your fears and those of your family members. They're probably pretty freaked out too. If I can help in any way JUST ASK that's what we are here for. It's not as bad as we imagine!

Randy,
Once I scheduled my surgery I remember feeling like I was just in a dream state. It's scary to have surgery but the medical field has come so far it helped me knowing that going into my surgery. Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Randy, I've done a lot of calculated risky things in my life, but I never experienced discombobulating fear until I found out I wasn't actually Superman, but only a mere mortal with a calcified aortic valve that had to be replaced. After going through a couple of hellish years, my surgery is coming up Aug. 22nd & I'm relatively relaxed now, mainly because I've educated myself as much as I could without going to med school. I have a friend from the internet who has gone through both brain surgery (a benign tumor as it turned out) & aortic valve replacement (lucky guy, huh?) & he says that his level of trepidation was ten times worse for the heart surgery. I think there is something inherently mortifying about having our body cavity split open & invaded, regardless of the intent to save our lives. What scared me the most was the thought that I might be leaving my wife & children without their rock of Gibraltar. Also, I've always been an inveterate jock & the thought--even if I survived the surgery--of being laid up for a while & having to get in shape all over again was depressing. Then there was the cost of the surgery--ai yi yi! (that still makes me cringe, but thank goodness I have insurance provided by the Blue Cross mafia).

As I said, I gradually gained a fairly articulated knowledge about the surgery, & the more I learned the better I felt mentally (even as I was feeling worse physically). Believe me when I tell you that heart surgery has become so routine (not with us, but the surgeons) that, except for the exceedingly infirm or aged, it is about as sure a bet as one could make with one's life. I know one thing: once it's over I'll feel like I just drew a royal flush! Good luck to you!

Randy - They aren't kidding when they say "Knowledge is power." The more you can learn about your specific condition and the treatment processes, the more power you will have to control how you feel about it. I knew about my future valve replacement for nearly 10 years. I learned to compartmentalize the thoughts about it so I could learn without making myself crazy. Once I learned enough to feel confident that the situation could be handled, I mentally put it aside for years. Once it became nearly time for surgery, I developed my game plan. Then all I had to do was follow it. . . and then I had to deal with recovery.

The folks here have done it all, seen it all and are just wonderful about sharing their experiences. Ask all the questions you need to, and welcome to your second home. . .

I would reiterate what's been said by others already Randy ... but will add that I can TOTALLY relate to the fear that you initially feel. Believe me though, it passes.
As folk on here say, read up on the topic, arm yourself with the facts ... I'm not sure if that in itself helps quell the fear but it certainly puts you into a far better position. I guess I could only really say that, for me at least, the fear subsided in the way the pain of a bereavement subsides. When I was first diagnosed I felt as if I was already on the way out. I felt awful. Now, a couple of months into 'the wait' and I feel far more sanguine. This forum has helped tremendously - just to read other peoples' stories - some doubtless far easier than mine will be, some far harder - helps you realise that, as Dick said at the start of this thread, this is just a hiccup ...
I hope you feel more at ease with yourself soon.
Remember, you have a problem that can, and will, be fixed.
Not knowing about it might have given you a few good 'todays', but would have left you with not many 'tomorrows'.
Take care ...

Hey Randy,
Waiting for me was the worst part. I had about a 6 week wait from finding out I needed a new aorta and valve repair, to the actual surgery. My DR gave me some anxiety meds, but I didn't use them. Researching and reading really helped. It was all a blur, but now I am on the upswing and feeling good. Hang in there, you will be fine!

The fear is real, use this site, family and friends. I had to just finally treat it and think of it as "just another surgery".
Hope this helps and I wish you and your "OR Team" the best day, on the day of your surgery!
Stay Calm, focused and may the gods be kind!
JB

Hey Randy!!
I saw that you were here a while ago, Today"s another day! How are you feeling?

Hello and welcome !
My "harmless heart murmur" became a dangerous reality when I hit my forties. I was totally floored and beyond
scared. But you know what? I've been through it and am still here almost 6 years later. You CAN do this.

I would like to take this time to thank all of you for you kind and comforting replies. I'm glad I joined this site. I've already read Adam Pick book on valve surgery, I told my doctor by the time I'm done I will know more about this than any cardiologist. Still scared but with all the compassion on this site I know I'm in good hands. Once again THANK YOU. I am awake,aware & alive. "I am Love"

YAY! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling more impowered and alive!! I was worrying about you today! Now we can both sleep better :)

You are so very welcome
Take lots of time to smell the roses. I'm very lucky I have a pond with a little waterfall off of our back patio and I chill out there many times during the day it helps alot, especially when the birds come for thier showers. :cool:

Randy, where were you diagnosed Hôtel-Dieu Grace Hospital and are you going to go to London Health Sciences?

Gaet ahold of Bigsidster http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/member.php?8163-bigsidster sit down at Timmies and have a coffee or better yet Tunnel BBQ for a load of ribs
and some good conversation His op was in London but he lives in Techumseh or if you travel to Kitchener get in touch with me

Randy,
The success rate of this procedure is pretty darned good, given that it has been performed and refined since at least the 1950's. I want to reiterate what others have said that you seek out a major hospital and an experienced surgeon, even if it means you have to wait a week or two. This greatly increases the odds in your favor. I too was very scared before the surgery. But I took some precautionary measures to minimize my worries; I sat down with my family and showed my wife where all our accounts were, went on vacation with the family to do some hiking,wrote sealed letters to my kids, updated our wills(probably the best time to do so if you have not done it in a while) - all this so I didn't have to go in to surgery with a gnawing feeling that I had unfinished business. That really helped me keep an uncluttered mind which I think helped me emotionally. You can also check out this link to read firsthand of all the success stories. http://www.yourheartvalve.com/patientstories/Pages/Stories.aspx

Good Luck. You will be fine.

Back