scared newbie part 2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxximom

Thank all of you who have responded to my first post..you all have been very very helpful to me. This board has been invaluable to me in helping me research and educating me. I had my cath yesterday..all went well during the proceedure and thanks to all of you I was well informed for the cath. I didn't even have any sedation (me who won't even go to the Dentist LOL) and I only had to stay about 21/2 hours aterward. Now the BAD news!! Not only do I have to have my Aortic valve replaced..but I also need a triple Bypass..what a bummer!! I was so afraid of the valve replacement..now I have to deal with the bypass too! Have any of you had BOTH the AVR AND a bypass together???? I know that the recovery will probably be the same in terms of pain etc.. but of course the mortality rates must be different. We meet with the surgeon on Thursday and of course I have a million questions for him. I have heard good things about Dr. Glower from both Dan OBrian and Martha who both had their surgeries at Duke. I have been on the pphone with Martha for the last week and she has been such a wonderful support. Are there any websites that may be helpful to me to get any info on a combined AVR and Bypass? Does anyone know some one who has had both proceedures? I will gratefully accept any and all imfomation and comments. When I do things..I do them big time!! Also Martha made the suggestion that I might find it more comfortable slleping in a recliner chair, post op..so I am looking into buying one. Have any of you found that a useful thing to do. I normallu sleep on my side of stomach..and I hear that it will be next to impaoosible to do that..looking forward to hearing from all of you. My email is [email protected]. Keep as well as you can
Joan Seide

Hi Joan

Hi Joan

I just read your message. My wife, Joann had 3 bypass, aortic and mitral valve surgery at the same time. Her valves were originally installed in 1971 and replaced in 1998. Both times they used mechanical. Repeat surgery is more difficult due to scar tissue. The bypass does not add a large amount of risk to the operation. It will add time on the pump.

Duke has a good reputation. Martha is a good source for many questions.

We will be pleased to help you in any way. Send email or private message regarding any questions.

[email protected]

God Bless!

John & Joann

I didn't have a valve replacement, but did have quad bypass. From all the posts I have read since joining this forum, apparently the actual surgery going in and coming out are the same and recovery also the same, time frame, soreness etc. There are several in the site who have had both vr and bypass and expect you will be hearing more after the weekend.

As for comfort, you will find your own answers after surgery - think we all had to do that but I had to sleep on my side for ages with my arm on top of the upside so as not to put pressure on the chest because it's tender for a while. Have heard MANY suggest the recliner - you're kinda forced to stay on your back that way and my recliner is so comfortable that if I HAD to I could sleep in it all the time. When you purchase, be sure to try it out in the store (not a nap, but lie back, raise the foot rest and relax). Another one or two suggested a beanbag chair. Not to worry, tho, you will sleep. The surgery tires you out and after major surgery I believe the body forces you to rest and sleep.

As you go along, you will have more questions, so be sure to ask and you will get lots of responses. God bless

A neighbour of mine had valve replacement and bypass a couple of months ago - must be well on in his 70s - I met him out shopping the other day and he was fine.

Hello Joan,

Combining Bypass and Valve Replacement will of course lengthen surgery time and therefore time on the Heart - Lung machine. This does increase the possibility of short term memory loss and posssible cognitive difficulties. Generally, these improve some with time. It is still better to do them both at the same time than to have to open your chest twice!

I had triple bypass in '99 and found I had to 'work harder' to remember things at times. Sometimes, things seen in passing were lost, but if I made a point of remembering, I did.

I second the recommendation of a recliner. It makes getting up and down easier and is better than sleeping on your back in a bed.

You will experience some 'discomfort' where they removed the donor veins but this will pass in time. DO take your pain medication on schedule. It is far better to PREVENT pain than to have to catch up once pain has begun. I found some positions were not comfortable but for the most part I did NOT have continuing pain and was able to get by with only 2 pain pills a day. I asked for pain medication with minimal side effects. The heavy-duty ones can make you dizzy and nauseous.

The BEST way to get over the discomforts and improve your stamina and energy levels is to EXERCISE (Walk) every day. Do as much as you can. Your body will let you know when you need to rest. Most of us found the we could do more and more each day. Sometimes you may experience a setback but keep it up and you will get better.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

'AL'

It is normal to be a bit scared berore a heart operation. This will pass once you are in the hospital getting ready for surgery. You will get support from the nurses who will assure you that the operation is pretty routine nowadays.

I had an aortic valve replaced and do not recall much discomfort after the operation, while still in the hospital. The main discmfort (not pain) was caused by the IVs, tests and the several tubes going in and out of your body. There is always pain killers available and they recommend you take them even if you are not in much pain; they will make it easier for you to sleep.

At home after the operation, I do not recall any special difficulty sleeping or resting in a bed, but no doubt a recliner will be nice , but do not spend all your time there. You need to become somewhat active. I found going to a cardiac rehab facilty several weeks after the operation was very helpful. The supervised exercises really got me back to speed in a short while.

I had a St. Jude mechanical valve installed in 1988. Thus far I have found the coumadin regimen not a problem.

Back