Scar Tissue Removal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Hello all, I wanted to run something past you. Since my surgery in ’07 I have had a collection of scar tissue at the bottom of my incision. It’s not quite the size of a golf ball, but it’s certainly noticeable. In fact, I can’t wear shirts that are too tight since it makes a dent in it. When I asked my cardio about it two years ago he told me it’s a hernia. As best as I could remember he said that it’s protruding skin that I could just push back into place, and it’s nothing to worry about, unless and until it becomes terribly bothersome. Well, I think I’m there now. I’m considering going to doc to see about getting the scar tissue removed.

For the last few months I have been finding myself having to take Tums, Nexium and the like for stomach discomfort, mostly a bloated feeling, which causes chest and side discomfort. Now I don’t know if the two are related but I think it’s possible. The tissue is noticeable and I wonder if anyone has gone through or knows anything about scar tissue removal surgery for people like us—you know, OHS patients. Is it the scar tissue or can it be a GI issue that requires another doc of a different stripe? Thanks for your input.

As far as I know a hernia is different than extra scar tissue (like you might have for keloid) A hernia is some kind of tissue or part of an organ that can go thru a hole or weak spot in the abdominal muscles, and the keloid is really thick scar tissue for the most part (they feel pretty solid and don't move if you press it ect) I think a few members have had incisional hernia's after their heart surgery. (I'll see if I can find any)
Depending on what kind of hernia it is, your heart burn ect could be caused by the hernia.
Here is a pretty good description http://surgery.about.com/od/proceduresaz/a/IncisionalHerni.htm

Lyn, thanks for the 411. I wonder what it is now. Do you think I should go to my gp for this or to my cardiologist? I have an appointment with cardio in February.

I'd vote GP first. GP can tell the difference between a keloid scar and a hernia, easy peasy.

I agree with Laurie
also your first post said "As best as I could remember he said that it’s protruding skin that I could just push back into place, and it’s nothing to worry about" and as far as I know you can push all you want on a keloid scar and it doesn't make a dent..a hernia often can be pushed back thru the hole but will pop back out, sometimes when you strain or cough ect it pushes it back out

Last edited:
So I take it that if it's a hernia and it's disruptive enough it needs an operation. On the chance that it's a keloid and it's disruptive, what happens then?

So I take it that if it's a hernia and it's disruptive enough it needs an operation. On the chance that it's a keloid and it's disruptive, what happens then?

I wanted to say beside keloid scarring there is another type kind of the same called hypertrophic scarring, the main difference is keloid can grow outside the incision and hypertrophic stays in the incision line. I'm not sure that either is disruptive in the way you are decribing, most people that complain about them, usually complain about itching or pain. But IF it is some kind of scar problem, there are several things they (usually a dermatologist or plastic surgeon) can give steroid shots (which often are painful) usually a series of shots over a period of time -(not a one time thing and it is better). They also can try laser treatment. You CAN have a scar revision surgery where they cut out the bad section, but even then as that incision heals more keloid can form.
I can't see you or your scar,( and am NOT a doctor, just a Mom) but from what you describe, chances are its a hernia and not excess scarring. Keloids/hyper are really dense, don't move and usually are reddish looking. a hernia is much softer and you can move it by pressing on it ect.

If you do a search at VR there are a few threads about keloid scaring and treatments ect, and some members have posted pictures
Also you can google keloid or hypertrophic scars and hernias there are lots of pictures of each as well as descriptions different treatments ect.

Last edited:
Back