Scar Ointments?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Perrster

Curious who is doing what to reduce their scars?

Health food store mgr. just informed me to get an Aloe Vera plant to use on my scar.

I hope I won't turn into the "swamp thing," but this sounds like it's worth a try.

Other good solutions?

Thanks.

Hello Mr. Universe!!!

I am sure we will hear many tales and old folks remadies for this question hehehehe...

The one I have and ..yes.. it is from the back woods of Tennessee, was to use Coca Butter. It will help smooth scars and stretch marks.

Don't know if you got to see my scar when we were comparing scars in Nashville, but mine is almost un-noticable. I used coca butter every day for about a year. You can buy this in a stick and any drug store.

Hope your workouts are going well,

Rob

Ask Rob

Ask Rob

Hi Perry,

I saw a picture of "Rob That's Me" which was posted by Janie on 1/10.

Check it out any you will note the absence of any visable scars on his chest. Maybe he'll share his secret with you and the rest of us.

I'm surprised some of you gals didn't notice it. Were you that focused on the ponytail?

And he's quick, too

And he's quick, too

Before I could get my last post on the board, Rob That's Me had already shared his secret with Perry. So for the rest of you who didn't see Rob"s scar in Nashville, go back to the picture. Is that where you took the picture Janie?

Hi Ron,

That was a post-operation picture of me. There was no scar on my chest when that was taken. But, I don't think that it would be that noticable if I re-took that same picture. Hmmm,,, that's an idea for this summer on the boat. I'd have a before and after!

Happy Motoring!!

Rob

SCAR

SCAR

I used vitamin E...just poked a hole in a capsul and used a little every day after the open sores where clear of scabs. Did it for about 6 months. My scar is just a very fine line now. I would suspect some of the success of what the scar turns out like rests in the skill and methods used by the surgeon. I had laser knife surgery on my second mastectomy and you can hardly see the scar at all.

Mr. Who??

Mr. Who??

I soytenly ain't no Mr. Universe, but I'm still working my buns off. Any publishable photos are light years away!

I haven't done anything about my scar for almost two years now. Guess I was hoping the darned thing would heal itself. Not! I missed out on the scar contest in Nashville.

Rob, I couldn't remember that you used Cocoa Butter. I'll try some of that too.

My mother was born in Key West, Fl in 1909, before they had real contact with the rest of Florida (only a railroad). She and my grandmother told me that the medicine they had was ALOE and they used it for everything, even making a tea from it. Their dr used it and rxed it. They swore it helped everything. You just get the plant, break/cut a leaf, split it like slicing bread to open, lay the juices or the open leaf on the spot. Can't hurt, might help. Plant is also pretty and multiplies right in the pot so you can share w/others.

My chest scar is fading very well, but sure can still feel it and my great gchildren ask me about the wires where the bumps are. They just haven't gone, but have to hunt them now in the upper bony part of chest.

Janie - Rob THE PICTURE is now a poster!! Whatta hunk. If ya'll missed it you oughta go back and see it. Specially us old ones - good for the heart, once it slows down again! Heehee:D :D

Last edited:
I tried everything....it's still there:D Your best bet is a solid coca butter stick as soon as the scar is healed enough that you can safely start doing so. 2-3 weeks.

Perry my friend....if you have waited two years....I am afraid what you see is what you get. The good news is it will fade a bit more in time.

I was advised to keep it out of the sun. From what I can see.... the individuals I know that have had OHS.....the best looking scars are the ones that have been exposed to the sun. Go figure.

My husbands scar from his recent nephrectomy, 'removal of the kidney' looks better in four months...than mine has in three years. It is a huge scar too. His pigmentation is a little darker than mine. I think that plays a role in the healing process. Us fair skinned people show more.

The scar is something we should all be proud of. We earned it!

OK,,

I confess.. hehehehe... That picture was taken out on my cabin cruiser.. hmmm... Janie .. do you remember that day? LOL

Rob
Feeling mischievious today!! lol

PS.. My scar was in the sun, but.. I had #45 sun screen. I also used the cocoa butter stick for a yr. But, I did so as Gina mentioned. As soon as my scar was healed from the surgery I began using it.

You do need t wait before applying certain ointments such as Vit E, because they are blood thinners, and will slow the wound from healing.

I think I'll wait until the Reunion in Vegas and enter the "scar contest." Sorry, no pix until then.

In the meantime, I've started the Cocoa Butter schtick and Aloe remedies.

Cheerio!

All I did was keep mine out the sun for the past year (tough to do when you live in Florida), and it doesn't look too bad.
Actually its kind of fun to see people's reactions in the locker room at the gym when they see my scar after a workout and suddenly realize that I've had heart surgery!
Some people seem to think that all open heart patients spend their remaining years in wheel chairs hooked up to oxygen tanks...
:cool:

Perry-
I tried cocoa butter and it didn't help my scar one bit. I also bought some stuff called Mederma that is supposed to really ehlp scars. It helps somewhat. My scar is in terrible shape. Has a huge keloid at the top that is very itchy and annoying. I think I am going to have to go to a plastic surgeon to get any relief.
Aloe might work. It helps lots of stuff.
-Mara

My 1st surgeon said that the scar tends to open more at the top and I have found this to be true.
I used vit e the 1st time around and the 2nd time around 11 years later used nothing, just forgot and was too sick to think about it. It spread at the top as well. About 1/4" at the top 2 ". Oh well. I wear what I want anyway.
I think that the surgeon has alot to do with how thin it eventually becomes.
The bottom 2/3 of the scar is very thin, just where I don't care. Typical!!
I am just glad to be here and seeing my daughter grow up!!
I have a hard bump just where the seat belt goes across and my chiropractor said it's just scar tissue and to really work at rubbing it out.
It hurt at first but it's getting better.
I thought it was a wire they forgot to remove but he said it wasn't.
Gail

Back