Scar issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,

I had AVR in May last year. My scar has healed very well apart from the last 4 cms which is raised and still quite red (the rest of the scar is skin coloured and barely noticeable). Has anybody else had this raised and red issue and can you recommend a product to assist with flattening and de-redding the scar? Also. around this part of the scar hair has not grown back, so I have a little bald patch on my stomach. I'm not too fussed about these issues, but if anyone has some suggestions ...

Cheers.

Phil.

This earlier thread that I started may help you.

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...uestion-about-the-ridge-bumpiness-of-the-scar

I think it just takes time. My scar is much less bumpy now @ 4 months post op. Still a bit of a ridge at the top but that is it. Its a bit darker at the bottom with a bit more scar tissue, but in general it has faded quite a bit. I bought the Scar F/X and it seems to work ok. I have not used it too extensively though. After a while I kind of got used to the scar to be honest and haven't bothered much with it.

T

If I got it right the bottom part of your scar is still a bit red and raised. The redness means that there is more blood going to that region, probably because there is still some reorganization of the scar tissue. I assume that the bald area is also part of the scar, but it would be easier to give you some advice with a pic of the scar... In general you have to distinguish whether its a normally healing scar, a hypertrophic scar or a keloid, but also rule out an infection.

What you could do at this point is use silicone dressing sheets for your scar. These dressings are often used preventively in people who tend to develop very thick scars but can be used in all patients once the wound is closed and dry. It usually takes a couple of months until you see an improvement. Otherwise I would suggest going to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They could both start treatments with local cortisone, laser, massage and many more.

Hi, Phil, I had a lump lower down that remained red longer than the rest of the scar. At one year, it is was still very noticeable to me but with time the lump sort of melted and the color faded. I think, mostly, that it just takes time. Three years after surgery, I had no lump and my scar was without color or hair. During this last year, the lower tip of my sternum (the xiphoid process) has developed a sort of "knob" but it isn't at all sensitive and I've read that this is a typical artifact of long term healing.

Larry

Well, my 2 cents. Here I am almost at the 6 year mark and like you describe, the top I'd say 2/3rds of my scar has virtually disappeared. But that bottom 1/3 is still red, a little bumpy and in the summer sometimes itchy. I decided to just live with it. Since that part of my body is NEVER exposed to the public I figured I could deal. But I would say that if for you, it continues to be an annoyance, then tell your doctor (either GP, or Cardio) they may something you can apply. Good Luck

I've got two other scars down my middle and all three are in a row, plus 13 other puntures to anchor my hernia mesh and that's not counting 2 former drain holes and 3 lapriscopic surgery holes. They all heal up, shrink and settle down given time. Massaging in some lotion, vaseline or lanolin helped when they itch or look bad.

In some neighborhoods scars are displayed as signs of experience :)

In some neighborhoods scars are displayed as signs of experience :)

Whenever I catch someone in the gym locker room staring at my scar collection, the first thing I do is growl at them. Then if they don't beat a hasty retreat, I start to explain the scars. The big midline incision scar, I tell them, is from a knife fight that I almost lost. The drain line scars (all 3 of them) were small arms fire from a Mac-10. The pacemaker is just a hunk of shrapnel, and really doesn't bother me much, until it makes me really crazy. If they still question the little hernia scar above my navel, I just tell them they're looking too closely for my comfort. . .

Mine has a slightly raised feel too; More of a concern was the itchiness the first few months. I started using Vitamin-E skin oil (available in Rite-Aid for $4.00 and lasts almost a year) almost a year after my surgery. The itchiness and redness came down considerably. I wish I had started doing that right after the surgery as it is supposed to eliminate the ridge-like formation. Maybe someone else can try this solution and post their experience on it. I could use it after my second op :)

Latest posts

Back