Saw My Cardio Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchL

Miami, FL. I'm not really sure what country this
Today was the first visit with my cardiologist, Dr. George Vetrovec, the chief of cardiology at Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital, since my surgery.

I was a bit concerned because the post-op echo report from Beth Israel on 12/15 showed "mild aortic regurgitation."

Like the chief of surgery at BIH, Dr. V said that echo reports are more technical documents than subtle diagnostic tools, and that the folks who read the echoes seem to find problems that aren't really there, or aren't really significant enough to be worth the mention.

Remember that Dr. V was initially not enthused by my interest in the Ross Procedure, and recommended a St. Jude's mechanical valve, so he doesn't have an a priori pro-Ross prejudice.

But today he listened *very* closely to my heart, moreso than I remember him doing before, took a good hard look at the echo report, and declared that I had no systolic murmur, and only, possibly, a very, very minor diastolic murmur.

He thought my numbers from cardiac rehab looked great, that I looked great at nine weeks post-op, that I can continue to walk/run/jog to get back into shape, and that I can take my Boy Scout troop skiing in two weeks.

I asked Dr. V if he really thought I'd made the right decision with the Ross. He reiterated that the Ross is a very difficult, technical surgery to perform, and said that after his talk with Dr. Stelzer before my surgery, he knew that "for whatever reason, this guy has dedicated his life to this particular technique. I think you made a good choice."

(For those of you out there considering the Ross, I implore you: Find a surgeon who has done as many of these as possible! Surgical experience with the Ross is a MAJOR a predictor of the success rate of the operation!)

On top of it all, I had them run a lipid panel last Friday and the results today, for the first time in decades, put my cholesterol numbers square in the middle of the recommended range. (I'm on Vytorin, as Zocor just didn't do the trick.)

So. Damn. I'm a happy camper.

Remember that I was born with that bicuspid valve, so I've never, ever had a cardiologist listen to my heart and say anything other than "That's quite a murmur you have in there!"

I know I sound like I'm gloating, but please forgive me.

You can't imagine how happy and blessed I feel right now.

And although she'll never read this, I want to give a big shout out to my 84 year old mom, who decided NOT to have me undergo surgery in 1963 as a 5 month old, but instead got a second opinion that allowed me to wait 43 years for surgery. Sure, my valve was deteriorating for 43 years, but I was asymptomatic, and open heart surgery technology sure as hell was improving during those years.

T H A N K S M O M ! ! ! ! ! I L O V E Y O U ! ! ! ! !

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Congratulations Stretch! All great news. So glad your recovery has been smooth and, Skiing? WOW! Be careful, but sounds like fun if you are up for it!

Perhaps a phone call to your mom is warrented? It is interesting that in 1963 they were considering surgical intervention.. she did the right thing for sure!

And Gloating needs no apologies here, you are SOOOO entitled!!!

Congrats, you are fantastic!

Leah

Isn't it refreshing to walk away from that office with a clean bill of health? Just make sure to follow the scheduled maintenance intervals to be sure things haven't changed.

Congratulations Stretch! May this be the first of many, many, many more successful visits.

Stretch,
What a great checkup! It gives hope to those of us on the other side of surgery...it's been a while since I had an upbeat check up with my cardiologist. Sounds like you have big plans with your boy scout troop. I have a boy scout & girl scout at home - 2 of the many reasons I'm having surgery soon! Hope you continue to have a positive recovery!

Stretch,
Glad you are doing so well. It is a great feeling to feel so good at 9 weeks. As for the gloating, go ahead and do it. One reason I don't post much because of my sucessfull recovery is I also sound that way and really don't want to. Keep up the good work and what's the latest on your upcoming running event you mentioned in your earlier posts?
Mel

Good news, Stretch! And I'm sure you make your mother proud!

(edit - And hey! You're at 500 posts with this one so congrats on that too!)

I know how you feel, Stretch, both the feeling good part and the occasional guilt for having "gotten away with it" so easily.

But remember that the good folks here need to hear happy news, too. Most people who go through these surgeries recover completely and lead normal or nearly normal lives, annual montitoring aside for tissue VRs, and INR maintenance aside for carbon VRs.

It's good for new people on the site to see how often it really does turn out all right.

Be well,

Stretch,
With tomorrow being Valentine's Day, I think your mom should hear a rendetition of the thoughts expressed in your last paragraph--even if it's by phone.
You have alot to celebrate tomorrow, and I am confident that you will CELEBRATE!:)

pedimed said:
Congratulations Stretch! All great news. So glad your recovery has been smooth and, Skiing? WOW! Be careful, but sounds like fun if you are up for it!

Perhaps a phone call to your mom is warrented? It is interesting that in 1963 they were considering surgical intervention.. she did the right thing for sure!

Thanks, Leah.

I've already called my mom... she was very pleased, but would hardly allow me to thank her. "I don't deserve any thanks." "Ohhh... thank YOU for being such a good son." Yada yada yada.

I finally got he to accept my thanks with a simple, "You're welcome," which she said very bashfully.

I think I'll print out that post and mail it to her. She has maculard degeneration, so the type will have to be pretty big, but I think it would make a nice Valentines Day card. :)

kodi said:
Stretch,
Glad you are doing so well. It is a great feeling to feel so good at 9 weeks. As for the gloating, go ahead and do it. One reason I don't post much because of my sucessfull recovery is I also sound that way and really don't want to. Keep up the good work and what's the latest on your upcoming running event you mentioned in your earlier posts?
Mel

Thanks, Mel.

Did another three miles on Saturday morning. Twenty-two degrees but I was so energized that I went from walking to jogging a bit. I'll at least walk the 10k on 3/31. Hopefully I can jog a lot of it. I'm sure I'll still be working my way up to actually running.

Happy Valentines Day to you, your Mom and Noni- isn't it nice to celebrate with a healthy heart- great news, Stretch!:D

Good for you Stretch! So glad you're doing so well. I hope the rest of your recovery is just as successful. Happy skiing and scouting.

I think it's so cool how your mom and RCB's mom are heroes to you respectively and had a hand in providing hope to valve patients, albeit in different ways. Quite inspirational.

Back