Saunas & Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgy Ticker

Hi all

I have 2 mechanical valves (Aorta and mitral) and am on a fairly reasonable regimen of 6mg Warfarin and also take a beta blocker a day.

I was wondering whether any of you have any knowledge of or experience of any potential issues or dangers in this regards, as I am dying to go to one and will have the chance in a few weeks, but am concerned that it might be a no-no, and of course don't want to take a risk!!

Any help would be most appreciaated

J

You might have to ask your doctor, and there may be others here who regularly use a sauna or hot tub and would have a more definitive answer. Personally, I doubt if there would be any problems -- your body temperature may rise slightly, but I can't see that effecting the valve. Plus, I'm sure that even though the valve is going into a body with a fairly constant temperature, the valves are tested at temperatures that are far higher or lower than your body can accommodate.

Similarly, if your blood pressure raises or drops, your valves should be fine with these, too.

But - hearing from others with this kind of experience, or from a doctor, should be a more definitive answer to this question.

Most valves are tested at 98 deg F, +/- 3 deg. Most mechanical heart valves are made of Titanium or some sort of pyrolytic carbon, both of which are capable of operation at extremely high temperatures. A sauna would have no effect.

I love a hot tub, but only up to about body temperature and then I have been known to wallow for a couple of hours! But much above that and I feel very uncomfortable and feel the need to get out, but that that always been the case for me, even before I had the valve.

Your body will move blood to from your core to the surface to help with cooling, so other factors such as underlying health conditions and why you got the valve should be considered.

I would guess it’s less about the valve and more about your overall health. How is your blood pressure? How is your fitness level, do you get winded going up a flight of stairs?

I’m 6 years post surgery and am in the hot tub about every other day and use sauna frequently. Cardiologist has not advised against either but I’m also in good health and only take warfarin and a baby aspirin. Would agree with almost might be do to overall health or other concerns.

Unless you have low blood pressure and you drink alcohol when going into the hot tube or sauna you should be fine. There is some vaso dilation in the heat and some dehydration so the blood pressure may drop some. Other than that I can't think of any reason that either a sauna or hot top should be avoided due to having any type of heart valve. Another example of a physician having to needlessly limit a patient for no good reason.

Unless you have low blood pressure and you drink alcohol when going into the hot tube or sauna you should be fine. There is some vaso dilation in the heat and some dehydration so the blood pressure may drop some. Other than that I can't think of any reason that either a sauna or hot top should be avoided due to having any type of heart valve. Another example of a physician having to needlessly limit a patient for no good reason.

Good to know. About a year before Covid hit, I got into the habit of doing 20 minutes in the sauna per day. I was not surprised when I found this study:
" Increased frequency of sauna bathing is associated with a reduced risk of SCD, CHD, CVD, and all-cause mortality"
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2130724
I would combine it with a 30 minute swim, either before or after the sauna. It was remarkable how good I felt doing this routine. I felt good doing the swim without the sauna as well, but the sauna really added something- wiped out stress. I would often check my blood pressure after the sauna- normal was 115/75 for me and it would drop to about 105/65 and stay there for a few hours generally.

With Covid it has been closed for the past year- sure looking forward to getting back in that routine and glad to hear that my new valve should tolerate it well.

there is a saying in Finland:
if it can't be fixed by Sauna, Vodka or Terva then its probably fatal.

I see its even in Wikipedia now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar#Uses
The Finns are definitely onto something.

My regular use of the sauna was part of a strategy to try to reduce my left ventricular hypertrophy by reducing my blood pressure.
I did manage to reverse my LVH significantly and progressively, as confirmed by each echo.
The three things that I did: 1) lower my blood pressure by losing weight 2) back off on the intensity of my exercise and 3) do the sauna 5 times per week.
My LV wall thickness was gradually reduced from 13mm to 10mm over about 14 months and my LV mass returned to well within the normal range.
My cardiologist believes is was primarily due to lowering my blood pressure, but impossible to say how much each contributed. I'm sure that spending a few hours per day with a very low blood pressure in the 105/65 range from the sauna did me some good and might have helped in the LVH reversal. Regardless, it was sure enjoyable.

The Finns are definitely onto something.

My regular use of the sauna was part of a strategy to try to reduce my left ventricular hypertrophy by reducing my blood pressure.
I did manage to reverse my LVH significantly and progressively, as confirmed by each echo.
The three things that I did: 1) lower my blood pressure by losing weight 2) back off on the intensity of my exercise and 3) do the sauna 5 times per week.
My LV wall thickness was gradually reduced from 13mm to 10mm over about 14 months and my LV mass returned to well within the normal range.
My cardiologist believes is was primarily due to lowering my blood pressure, but impossible to say how much each contributed. I'm sure that spending a few hours per day with a very low blood pressure in the 105/65 range from the sauna did me some good and might have helped in the LVH reversal. Regardless, it was sure enjoyable.

Chuck et al: I was told not get too dehydrated and avoid exccess heat wether that was a sauna or exercising in high heat outdoors...I may have been sloppy about hydration and/or outdoor exercise in heat (I live in the tropics) but at spas always drank a ton of water, took breaks from the heat, did the cold plunge, did room temperature showers and at some point left the hot areas to room temperature areas (I am referrring to Korean and Japanese spas I used in LA and Bangkok).

I too have LVH which appears to be caused by past hypertension and AS. I too lost weight, lowered my bp via diet and meds (almost off meds).. I too try to not over do it with exercise. Also work on meditation and stress reduction to reduce pressure on my heart and bp/pulse spikes...I keep an eye on BP using Omran bp machine and pulse app on my phone.

[/QUOTE]

"Chuck et al: I was told not get too dehydrated and avoid excess heat whether that was a sauna or exercising in high heat outdoors."

Those with heart issues should definitely consult with their doctor before using a sauna. But, you might print some of the literature and bring it to your next appointment to show your doctor, if it is something that you are interested in. It does wonders for stress and anxiety as well.

This study may be of interest, in addition to the Finnish one that I linked above:
" Repeated sauna therapy (60°C for 15 min) improved hemodynamic parameters, clinical symptoms, cardiac function and vascular endothelial function in patients with CHF. "
" Sauna therapy improved the cardiac index, mean pulmonary wedge pressure, systemic and pulmonary vascular resistance, and cardiac function. Sauna treatment is considered safe for CHF patients with NYHA classes I, II and III. It seems that sauna treatment may help improve clinical symptoms and hemodynamic parameters secondary to an improvement in the endothelial function of patients with CHF whose endothelial function is impaired. "

But, again, always consult with your doctor beforehand because of the following, among possible other concerns. You also are on medication to lower your blood pressure, so concern with hypotension might be an issue for you as well:

" Severe aortic stenosis, unstable angina pectoris and recent MI are contraindications to sauna bathing (19). Decompensated heart failure and cardiac arrhythmia are relative contraindications (20). Elderly persons prone to orthostatic hypotension should be cautious in the sauna because a decrease in blood pressure may cause syncope, usually just after sauna bathing (20). "

Beneficial effects of sauna bathing for heart failure patients

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar... failure and cardiac,after sauna bathing (20).

"Chuck et al: I was told not get too dehydrated and avoid excess heat whether that was a sauna or exercising in high heat outdoors."

Those with heart issues should definitely consult with their doctor before using a sauna. But, you might print some of the literature and bring it to your next appointment to show your doctor, if it is something that you are interested in. It does wonders for stress and anxiety as well.

This study may be of interest, in addition to the Finnish one that I linked above:
" Repeated sauna therapy (60°C for 15 min) improved hemodynamic parameters, clinical symptoms, cardiac function and vascular endothelial function in patients with CHF. "
" Sauna therapy improved the cardiac index, mean pulmonary wedge pressure, systemic and pulmonary vascular resistance, and cardiac function. Sauna treatment is considered safe for CHF patients with NYHA classes I, II and III. It seems that sauna treatment may help improve clinical symptoms and hemodynamic parameters secondary to an improvement in the endothelial function of patients with CHF whose endothelial function is impaired. "

But, again, always consult with your doctor beforehand because of the following, among possible other concerns. You also are on medication to lower your blood pressure, so concern with hypotension might be an issue for you as well:

" Severe aortic stenosis, unstable angina pectoris and recent MI are contraindications to sauna bathing (19). Decompensated heart failure and cardiac arrhythmia are relative contraindications (20). Elderly persons prone to orthostatic hypotension should be cautious in the sauna because a decrease in blood pressure may cause syncope, usually just after sauna bathing (20). "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar... failure and cardiac,after sauna bathing (20).
[/QUOTE]
Chuck--thanks for the comprehensive summary of the pros and cons of sauna use..My main risk is that I am on a low bp drug so hypotension and/or syncope is an issue. You have to listen to your body as well. Sounds like a lot of cardiac benefits I was unware of.

Chuck--thanks for the comprehensive summary of the pros and cons of sauna use..My main risk is that I am on a low bp drug so hypotension and/or syncope is an issue. You have to listen to your body as well. Sounds like a lot of cardiac benefits I was unware of.
[/QUOTE]
If I am remembering correctly, you have been able to reduce your BP medication by 75% so far, due to your healthy lifestyle. Hopefully you can continue that trajectory and get off of the meds 100% and maybe then the potential hypos will not be a risk factor for you with sauna use.

If I am remembering correctly, you have been able to reduce your BP medication by 75% so far, due to your healthy lifestyle. Hopefully you can continue that trajectory and get off of the meds 100% and maybe then the potential hypos will not be a risk factor for you with sauna use.
[/QUOTE]
Good memory--yes BP is a sauna concern..yes I am down 75%

Latest posts

Back