Saunas & Valves

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Dodgy Ticker

Hi all

I have 2 mechanical valves (Aorta and mitral) and am on a fairly reasonable regimen of 6mg Warfarin and also take a beta blocker a day.

I was wondering whether any of you have any knowledge of or experience of any potential issues or dangers in this regards, as I am dying to go to one and will have the chance in a few weeks, but am concerned that it might be a no-no, and of course don't want to take a risk!!

Any help would be most appreciaated

J

Protimenow

You might have to ask your doctor, and there may be others here who regularly use a sauna or hot tub and would have a more definitive answer. Personally, I doubt if there would be any problems -- your body temperature may rise slightly, but I can't see that effecting the valve. Plus, I'm sure that even though the valve is going into a body with a fairly constant temperature, the valves are tested at temperatures that are far higher or lower than your body can accommodate.

Similarly, if your blood pressure raises or drops, your valves should be fine with these, too.

But - hearing from others with this kind of experience, or from a doctor, should be a more definitive answer to this question.

nobog

Most valves are tested at 98 deg F, +/- 3 deg. Most mechanical heart valves are made of Titanium or some sort of pyrolytic carbon, both of which are capable of operation at extremely high temperatures. A sauna would have no effect.

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
I love a hot tub, but only up to about body temperature and then I have been known to wallow for a couple of hours! But much above that and I feel very uncomfortable and feel the need to get out, but that that always been the case for me, even before I had the valve.

Your body will move blood to from your core to the surface to help with cooling, so other factors such as underlying health conditions and why you got the valve should be considered.

almost_hectic

I would guess it’s less about the valve and more about your overall health. How is your blood pressure? How is your fitness level, do you get winded going up a flight of stairs?

Latest posts