Safe vitamins?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

does anyone know a brand of vitamin without vitamin k? My diet is not great so I think taking vitamins would be wise. I already take iron supplements due to very low iron. I know they could simply adjust my warfarin if I took a regular vitamin, but I'm already on a high dose (10 ng twice a week, 7.5 the rest of the week) given my very small frame. Any ideas?

Hi

firstly most of the multivitamins usually contain K2 ... which everyone I've ever seen post here suggests makes no difference to your INR ... try it for a few weeks (testing weekly as normal) and see if they are correct)

secondly the amounts of Vitamin K are usually infinitesimally small and I would expect that a single leaf of spinach would have as much effect

Myself I've found no effect from taking multi vitamins (apart from to make my pee darker)

PS: a quick review of the Berocca product made no mention of Vitamin K

(*position statement: I personally think that taking multi vitamins is a waste of money and has no scientifically demonstrated effect other than the placebo effect for anyone who isn't suffering from malnutrition {such as in a famine area})

PPS: you're not on a high dose ... I've read here of over 15mg and the record is something way higher link)

I actually take a K2 supplement; two of them. Effect on INR? Zero.
Initially it dropped a tad, but that could've been my body adjusting.
Try a low dose and adjust Warfarin if needed.

I take my multi-vitamin, and it does contain Vit K. It really is simple.
If you take your vitamin every day, then the Vit K dose is the same everyday from that multi-vitamin.
You simple adjust your Coumadin dose, and it does not fluctuate after stabilizing to your new dose.

I have learnt a lot in this forum during past 2 years and also have been busy reading a lot and self testing the effect of some vitamins on the INR

According to many Articles on the Internet on medical sites and others, the one concern about Warfarin is that tends to produce Calcification according to those who study this issues....

There are 3 Types of Vitamin K:

K1 goes to liver and comes from Green Vegetables, works on INR 100% so Greens like Broccoli, you can eat and should eat, BUT monitor its effect on you, we are all different

K2 is produced by bacteria in the digestive systems and does NOT go to Liver; Functions ?, MOVES Calcium to where it belongs, bones and teeth.

K3 dont know much about it, nor is a concern for us on Warfarin

I had an AVR on Nov-2015 and 3 months after started re-introducing all my vitamins and supplements, and although WAS told not to use Tummeric i did try it 4 months ago and INDEED Tumeric is Dangerous for INR as Strongly Interacts with Warfarin boosting its effect, my INR went from Average 2.5 to 5.2 in no time; so will never use it again

Coming back to K2

3 months after the AVR , i started taking 100 mcg ( micro grams ) of K2 and it DOES nothing to change my INR.

So, IF it is true that K2 helps fight the ill effects from Warfanin on Calcification THEN all will be fine

I am one of those people that never loved vegies, but it is possible to Eat Fermented Items like Natto that have lots of K2, and
also it is said that GOUDA Cheese has it too.

I believe, it is paramount for Warfarin users like me to take at least 100 mcg of K2 a day;

If you want to try it, just do a weekly INR check for 3 weeks and that will tell you,

I have a Coagucheck machine so when i experiment with new supplements or food, i make sure i do one test at home first week and a second test on the lab week after;

As per the value of Supplements, well... everybody is entitled to his opinion, but do a diligent research and the truth always shows.

Best regards,

Hi

jlcsn2015;n877271 said:
There are 3 Types of Vitamin K:

There are a few more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K

i started taking 100 mcg ( micro grams ) of K2 and it DOES nothing to change my INR.

Correct, given that there are 1000 micro grams in a milli gram, and given that you need some ten or so milli grams to effect INR you are essentially out by about a hundred times less than us needed.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...rchiveid=64738
Says:
When intravenous administration is considered unavoidable, the drug should be injected very slowly, not exceeding 1 mg per minute.

​​​​

So, IF it is true that K2 helps fight the ill effects from Warfanin on Calcification THEN all will be fine

Correct, IF ... THEN ... however the evidence is not compelling.

I believe, it is paramount for Warfarin users like me to take at least 100 mcg of K2 a day;

Paramount is far stronger wording than is justified, perhaps "there exists some evidence that..." If you have a study that shows a compelling link please share it.

If you want to try it, just do a weekly INR check for 3 weeks and that will tell you,

Agreed, indeed I recommend you check INR weekly anyway.

There are some kther members here who are in daily supplements of K2 and report similar findings

I have a Coagucheck machine so when i experiment with new supplements or food, i make sure i do one test at home first week and a second test on the lab week after;[l

Always wise...

but do a diligent research and the truth always shows.

Agreed. Take notes and always research on sites of veracity

Lastly, have you eaten natto? I lived in Japan for three years and I can say it smells like nappy poo
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2013...-of-natto.html

Hot day, and I left a parcel of natto out to defrost. Forgot about it and left the house. As I was entering the flat, my elderly lady neighbour told me there was a horrible smell coming from the open kitchen window.

"I think you have a dead rat," she confided. I invited her in and lo and behold, it was the natto.

Latest posts

Back