Running races?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

I am curious whether any of your doctors mentioned running restrictions - my surgeon said no restriction generally, but I forgot to ask specifically about running. I run, but don't push myself. This weekend I walk/ran a charity race with my young daughter and remembered how much I liked racing. Thinking of doing some locals 5k races. I know many of you are very active - does anyone train for racing? My surgery was 2 years ago. I used to be about a 730-800 mile- thinking of trying to get back to that. Of course, I'm much older now!!!

I used to. . . until my knees made their feelings known. Now I am reduced to "power-walking" (15:00/mile or so) or the elliptical. My cardio has basically told me "If it feels good, do it." I exercise 5 days a week, sometimes in 2 or 3 sessions. I also lift weights (light weight, high reps) and generally try to wear things out before my "use-by" date. Personally (remember that I am NOT a doctor), I would think that if you are otherwise healthy enough for the activity, and if you are fully healed from surgery, you should do fine. I, on the other hand, have had my limits lowered by the combination of a pacemaker and beta blocker, which keep my max HR somewhere in the low 140's. Used to hit the mid-160's running. I sure do miss that feeling. . .

Better to exercise than not. 7:30 - 8:00 / mile is solid for a weekend warrior, but I don't think it's in any way risky the way an attempt to be an elite runner would be. You're looking at a sub 25 minute 5k there. Solid time. I wouldn't think it dangerous. When I was younger, I could get closer to that. I'm just getting back into running and finding that I feel much better for it overall. Down 15 lbs since August 23 (last checkup) and able to cover 3 miles at a stretch without passing out or stopping to walk, thank you very much! I'd feel awful good about a 10 minute mile right now, and I'm still working toward that.

My cardiologist told me after a few months healing that I could go back to doing whatever I had been. I had been running a 6 minute mile or about 20 flat for 5K (1991, age 43). Still, I was very tentative in the beginning. It took many years to assure myself that I was not over extending. There was no internet, no AVR forum, no one with the experience to discuss it with. Of course, by then I had slowed quite a bit due to age, a mile in 7-ish through my 50s, and I still could run an 8 min. mile at age 61. I did about 140 races from 200 meters to half-marathon prior to AVR, and more than twice that many after. I'm pushing 70 in a few months now, and like Steve, can no longer run, but not because of the valve. Arthritis stopped me. I swim, I bike, I do whatever I want as hard as I want, except run, and even did a sprint triathlon last June at age 69 walking through the 5K run leg.

DachsieMom I was told that running is fine as it tends to build up BP rather than spike it, i race bikes and regularly hit 170bpm. i don't take BB and its probably around my Max HR now aged 51. I also run for fun, not fast around 8.30 m/mile and i see my HR around 160bpm I too was concerned about the HR with a mechanical valve so i paid to have a treadmill stress test to check myself. our advice is general so i chose to see what actually happens to my BP & Heart rhythm during max efforts. This may be an option to see exactly where you are during physical Stress. good luck... Paul

I've been a runner all my adult life and my doctor knew that and said I could run. I'm slower than before the surgery but I think a big part of that is the beta blocker and also the other meds. Since my surgery 5 years ago I've only run about 6 5K's but hope to do more in the future. I did track workouts a couple years ago until my work took over my extra time. If you're concerned about this, call your doctor and ask. Happy running! Martin

I hear you, Martin. Aren't those beta blockers a bummer? I was started out with metoprolol at 100 mg/day right after surgery. It felt like I was dragging a sled full of boulders around all day. Over the next year or two, we reduced my dosage to 50 and ultimately to 25 mg/day, and now at least I can function. I still can't do any competitive sports, as I can't seem to get my resting HR about the low 140's, but the beta blocker seems to keep me from getting close to afib, so it is a mixed blessing. When I see runners out there, my mind wants to speed up and go with them. My body just says "not any more."

I run 15-20 5K races every year and each time my heart rate hits maximum, using the standard estimate of 220 minus my age. The pace you run is not an issue, but rather the effort. A young, fit person can run a 7 minute mile and never get close to their maximum heart rate but an old, feeble person can hit their maximum heart rate just walking across the room. The point at which we reach our maximum heart rate is different for everybody, depending on age and fitness level, and is the main determinate in how fast we can run. I used to average 5 minute miles for a 5K because my maximum heart rate was 200. Now it's around 165 and I'm hitting that at a 7 minute pace. There is no way I can run faster unless there was a way to increase my maximum heart rate. Training can increase that somewhat but age is the primary limiting factor. Anyway, all that being said, both my surgeon and my cardiologist were not excited about my return to racing following my OHS. They were okay with jogging but not with stressing my valve at the point of maximum heart rate, which is what happens when we push ourself to the limit, whether it is running or some other physical activity. Anyway, their concern was not based on any scientific evidence that my mechanical valve (or stitching) could be compromised in some way but rather that there just was no information out there and they wanted to err on the side of caution. Now, after six years they are less concerned that I am damaging anything so they are fine with me racing all I want. Which is a lot, in fact I have a race tomorrow morning......

Steve, I'm only on 25 mg/day but my max heart rate is in the 130's. It should be up in the 160's or higher. And after adding Amlodipine to my meds I have more fatigue. That's one of the side effects. Back to the subject of running races, we need to find out what works for us depending on our issues. Martin

My doctor encourages running. I did a marathon a couple years post-surgery and now that's his first question at every annual check-up: 'Any marathons?' He's a runner himself so it's fun to discuss. As others have mentioned, check with your medical team, of course, but running is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Latest posts

Back