Rule of Thumb on Healing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paluc52

I'm in my last week of cardio rehab after minimally invasive, robotically-assisted mitral valve repaired in mid-February. Everything is going very well and I have a LOT to be grateful for. I am SO ready for the cycling season and would like to start training hard (i.e., power interval training, extended periods at 85% to 90% max. HR) in rehab workouts and on unsupervised weekend bike rides.

My cardio rehab folks, however, suggest I should stay at or below my anaerobic threshold (which they have calculated based on the std. 220 minus age charts) for the foreseeable future. I have always had a higher max. HR than that chart indicates. So, the HR threshold they prescribe is WAY conservative. But I'll do as I'm told. At least for a while.

My question is, has anyone heard of a rule of thumb as to the normal healing time for a repaired mitral valve in an otherwise healthy, albeit 63 yr-old patient? No other cardio-vascular issues. Repair was the usual: triangular excision of flail segment in the posterior leaflet, reconstruction and "collaring" the mitral valve with a Medtronic band.

Do you think they'd test your VO2 max to get a more accurate idea of your fitness level and what heart rate is suitable? I had this done at my gym to set my mind at ease a couple years ago. It customizes HR training zones based on the findings rather than just your age.

I was told the same thing by my rehab group. I really didn't like the "rough" method they use for calculating target HR, from someone who's supposed to be medical professionals. Do it the right way!

Anyway... after a follow up to my cardio, I asked him if I needed to heed their advice. He seemed surprised at what they told me. He said to me, "No you can go as high as your comfortable" meaning my heart rate...

Good suggestion, dornole. I will ask. I wish you all the best from your next procedure.

​May I ask, almost_hectic, how long after your surgery was it when your cardiologist gave you the green light to go as hard as you wanted?

paluc52;n865238 said:
Good suggestion, dornole. I will ask. I wish you all the best from your next procedure.

​May I ask, almost_hectic, how long after your surgery was it when your cardiologist gave you the green light to go as hard as you wanted?
I guess it was roughly 12 weeks. Not sure if that advice depends on procedure of course. Mine is a mech. valve... maybe a repaired valve is less tolerant to exertion? Dont know...

An update today from my surgeon (who is in a different hospital system, out of state): (i) 12 weeks is more than enough time for my repaired mitral valve to have fully healed; (ii) the cardio rehab folks are being too conservative; and (iii) I can start to do whatever I want. To be fair, this is similar to the view of my home town cardiologist. So, maybe it is just the rehab folks who don't want to risk having someone slump forward over the treadmill console.

Back