Royal Paworth

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul donnelly

Has a shortage of critical care beds.

My AVR booked in for Sept 14th 2021 was cancelled ay 9.27am this morning, Sept 13th

If any of you guys are with Papworth and surgery is just round the corner, thought Id prepare ya

All good this end

Sorry to hear that, Paul. Can be a bit of an anticlimax. But glad all good your end, as you say.

Happened to me in August 2019. Gowned and prepped for afternoon surgery, only to be cancelled an hour before procedure. The surgery before me had over-run as an emergency. They rescheduled me for two weeks later, and the rest was history, as they say!

Good luck for the days ahead. Hope they can find you a slot soon.

I was in the old hospital in Papworth village 5 years ago for an emergency procedure. My valve started to have bits break of causing embolisms throughout the body. Even then I got postponed, was supposed to have mine in the morning but then a heart-lung transplant came in between. So not an ICU bed but a personnel shortage, in the end my surgeon mr. Large got together a team for Saturday morning. Comforting to know that If you need surgery they’ll get you surgery. Still I can imagine it’s frustrating for you Paul.

Anti vaxxers are the lowest of the low

Really? That seems harsh. I have a vaccine but don't hate my friends who aren't vaccinated. They are still people...my friends. Don't you make errors in your life? Israel and Britain's rates of covid in vaccinated people are sufficient to show that the vaccines are not what they promised in December 2020.

Last edited:
90%+ of hospitalized Covid patients are not vaccinated. So aside from prolonging everyone’s misery these patients are preventing care of those who need it for other issues. So I can understand why many people are frustrated and state things like “anti Vaxxers are the lowest of the low”
Not people who aren’t vaccinated but anti Vaxxers. I consider anti Vaxxers murderers.

Last edited:
Thousands of surgeries, including heart surgeries, have been postponed and backlogged because the ICU's are filled with anti-vaxxers whose friends are outside the hospital yelling obscenities at the doctors and nurses, calling them Nazi sheep.
I wish I was exaggerating. My hometown.

After 2 previous cancellations arrived at Royal Papworth yesterday Sept 21st at 7am as requested, was advised my AVR surgery would now take place at 12-30pm NOT 4pm as suggested the previous day.

Showered, shaved and gowned by 11-30

At 12 I was advised slight delay Surgery now 1300hrs

1430 Still watching TV in my room

1445, Surgery cancelled and advised to go home and await further instructions re next date and the Surgeon who I liked and had a rapor with was leaving at the end of Sept and and consultant would be in contact

These things happen I guess

Oh my. Such bad luck, Paul. What a drag. Hoping any new date will be sooner rather than later and well before your preferred surgeon leaves.
Sending good thoughts your way in the interim. Onwards.

After 2 previous cancellations arrived at Royal Papworth yesterday Sept 21st at 7am as requested, was advised my AVR surgery would now take place at 12-30pm NOT 4pm as suggested the previous day.

1445, Surgery cancelled and advised to go home and await further instructions re next date and the Surgeon who I liked and had a rapor with was leaving at the end of Sept and and consultant would be in contact

Wow, that is a real bummer for twice delayed and especially for delayed once prepped for the surgery. It seems quite unusual. Hoping for you that 3rd time lucky.

wishing you the best Paul in the rescheduling, the surgery and your recovery.

Oh how awful Paul - three times cancelled :( That really isn't on. I don't know if you can make a complaint ? It surely can't hurt after they have messed you around so many times. Some people on here, messed around less than you have been, get sent to a private hospital but still under the same NHS surgeon. Wishing things change for the better for you.

This type of thing in Britain cannot be blamed on covid since multiple cancellations of British forum member's OHS happened during pre-Covid as well. I'd listen to Paleowoman and start making a fuss. Call the media. The "squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Latest posts

Back