Routine tooth cleaning - Precautions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Τhere is cleaning under the gums to remove gingivitis and cleaning above the gums to clean dental plaque. When the dentist starts the cleaning he does not know what he will find, if a tooth has periodontitis he will do a very deep cleaning and maybe they will need several appointments.
Thanks for the info.
I watched the videos. Excuse me now, as I feel the urge to floss, use my waterpik and then brush for about 15 minutes! 🤣

i need a trip to the dental hygienist soon.
i was informed by Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, that I need 3g amoxicillin an hour before treatment

this is the procedure i used to have before scaling, polishing etc until around 2007, when in the UK they changed the guidelines, so that people who have BAV, but who have not yet had valve replacement were no longer recommended to have amoxicillin

once you have valve replacement though you are advised to have amoxicillin treatment before dental treatment

i was informed by Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, that I need 3g amoxicillin an hour before treatment

this is the procedure i used to have before scaling, polishing etc until around 2007, when in the UK they changed the guidelines, so that people who have BAV, but who have not yet had valve replacement were no longer recommended to have amoxicillin

once you have valve replacement though you are advised to have amoxicillin treatment before dental treatment
The guidelines were also changed in the US in 2007, no longer recommending those with BAV get prophylactic antibiotic, due to a lack of evidence that it did any good. However, post valve surgery, like the UK, the guidelines still call for antibiotics. They give me 2g of amoxicillin prior to each dental cleaning or treatment.

The guidelines were also changed in the US in 2007, no longer recommending those with BAV get prophylactic antibiotic, due to a lack of evidence that it did any good. However, post valve surgery, like the UK, the guidelines still call for antibiotics. They give me 2g of amoxicillin prior to each dental cleaning or treatment.
amoxicillin i believe has a short half life in the body, so i'd imagine it shouldnt affect INR for long ?👍

amoxicillin i believe has a short half life in the body, so i'd imagine it shouldnt affect INR for long ?👍

Yes, and another nice thing is that studies suggest that amoxicillin has very little effect on the gut microbiome. This is important because gut microbiome is crucial to good health.

"Phenoxymethylpenicillin, nitrofurantoin and amoxicillin had very little effect on the gut microbiome."

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/10/9/e035677

This is a long interview, over two hours, but in my opinion well worth watching regarding dental care. If it is too long you can fast forward to the last 20 minutes in which they discuss best practices for dental care.

Dr. Peter Attia interviews Dr. Patricia Corby, a leading dental researcher. Dr. Corby is Associate Professor of Oral Medicine and Associate Dean of Translational Research at Penn Dental Medicine .

I was told to skip two doses, 48 hours before the tooth pull and start doing the day of that night. I did fine from the tooth extraction. Still a bit tender and slow healing, but getting there. I will wait on the other two teeth till the one on the left side is healed enough. M

I am doing better, found out two weeks out, since I have a tooth in front of the one pulled, has a dry socket. Just a little painful, since I am way past 40. But am doing better, he packed some med packet in the socket and that was it.
Don't you hate getting used to set procedure on pre-medicating and then they change it. Always changing it every few years, the same in the States. But at least we do premed to prevent encardioitis( my spell checker is on vacation).

You can skip warfarin for procedures without bridging. It depends upon the valve type and location. With a St. Jude in the aortic position, I've done it for a TURP. Your cardio will tell you what to do.

How did the TURP go ?, facing possibility of having one done soon after cystoscopy, which concerns me of course, never had one done, dealing with passing some blood in urine lately due to BPH although keeping INR as close to 2.0 as i can, testing weekly at home, Would you please share a little bit about your experience ? , thank you for your posting.

and don't forget arbitration

I ll give you My view of it: It is a system where ONE man makes other believe he has their welfare on his mind, when in reality is just a Con Master hugry for power and money like Stalin and his Gulags ( l lived in Moscow in the 70s ), Mao and his OPIUM dealings and his attrocities Vs Chinese people and Tibet, or Sadam, talking Communism in Iraq while working for the CIA, ooopppsssss sorry...... WMH !! lol

Definition of communism-
“a theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.”
Sounds like a forum to me 😂😂🤪

LOL..... it Is Self Evident you have no clue, no clue, about what a communist country is about; sufice to say it is more a place where 1 man, Stalin, Mao , Kim and others make themselves to be called "The Revolution" and every body else serves them or dies; WW2 10 mils Germans Died, 30 mils Soviets died, now , MAO #1 murdered 60 million Chinese to invent today's MAO-CCP-Communism, how about that? if in doubt , check "Real History records", Do not Google it ! --- lol---

Further info:

https://www.heritage.org/asia/commentary/the-legacy-mao-zedong-mass-murder

Dr. Peter Attia interviews Dr. Patricia Corby, a leading dental researcher. Dr. Corby is Associate Professor of Oral Medicine and Associate Dean of Translational Research at Penn Dental Medicine .
Good stuff Chuck C! That was a very informative video on dental hygiene. I do enjoy listening to Dr.'s Attia's podcasts on various other medical topics.

Good stuff Chuck C! That was a very informative video on dental hygiene. I do enjoy listening to Dr.'s Attia's podcasts on various other medical topics.

Thanks. I really like Peter Attia as well. He tends to choose the people he interviews very carefully and takes enough time to really go deep. He also generally comes into the interviews with a decent enough understanding of the subject matter to ask good questions.

That tangent came dangerously close to being taken down - and just might.

I won't comment on teeth cleaning. For some people I know, they just take them out and put them in Polident.

Latest posts

Back