Ross Procedure 1996

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't but I got around 20 years out of a homograft (which in some ways is similar, because you got a homograft that happend to be an autograft.

If it was done well I'd say it may last longer (depending on other factors, like surgeon skills, your age, your metabolism ...).

As to how long? Heaps of variables and then there are statistics. I'll be interested to follow replies.

Best Wishes

Hi Mike,
My husband Joey had a ross procedure also done by Dr. Stelzer on Sept. 20, 2001. He was 49 years old at the time. This year Dr. Stelzer did his reop on Jan. 14. His aortic valve was leaking severely and his mitral valve needed a repair.
Ironically, Joey was very strong and active until his surgery this year. He was spinning on his bike and very fit. It was not until they discovered his heart was enlarged and his ejection fraction had diminished, that this severe leak was discovered.
Joey was up and about much sooner this time (even though he is 17 years older) and is now progressively improving and getting stronger each day ( biking and elliptical). Although i was upset that he needed resurgery so soon, Joey was pleased that his ross procedure lasted as long as it did.
Dr. Stelzer placed a bovine valve in the aortic position. His game plan was that when Joey needs another surgery in the future they will have perfected TAVR and there will be enough room for that valve when the time comes. We both love that he had a future plan all lined up. We trust him, which is so important, as you know.
I hope this has helped. How are you doing?
There are others here who will most likely come forward soon.
Be well,
Sylvia

Hi Mike
I had a Ross procedure in 2001 at the OU medical center by Dr. Ronald Elkins. I was 21. I am 6’ tall, 168 pounds, fit, and very active. I eat unprocessed foods mostly, though I’m not strict past that.

Everything has been awesome until a few weeks ago. My yearly echo showed some aortic regurgitation and some pulmonary valve stenosis. Had a cath done last week, and my doctor says he thinks I’ve got a few years left before another operation. He said I should come back in a year and see if it has progressed anymore. In the meantime, I’m going to live my life, travel, and stay fit!

Latest posts

Back