Ross / Multiple Mechanical Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmprosser.lab

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if it’s common to get multiple mechanical valves? Does that change life expectancy or make you more at risk in regards to blood thinners?

my cardio only ever discusses my BAV regurgitation which is mild to moderate. But reading my test I saw it says “trace mild regurgitation of pulmonary and mitral valve”...but no cardio has ever mentioned that and it’s not listed in the test summary as something of note.Is there a chance those trace regurgitations for both valves is just happening because of my BaV and won’t require surgery?

does a mild regurgitation of pulmonary valve make me not a candidate for Ross procedure? Sure hope not! Would at least like that as an option if I need surgery before 50.

I'm not sure, but I believe some regurgitation is expected that could be why it was not discussed or noted as significant.

I'm not sure, but I believe some regurgitation is expected that could be why it was not discussed or noted as significant.
My understanding is the same, that some amount of leakage is just normal so not clinically relevant. This is where the experience of a cardiology team and follow-up over time becomes so important and guides future possibilities.
@Jmprosser.lab, it sounds like you're getting attentive care and will be in spot to make the right decision for yourself when the time comes.

I was concerned about the same issue. I have aortic stenosis and my cardiologist is monitoring its progression. Sometimes my echos will pick up trace regurgitation on either my mitral or aortic and sometimes they don't. My cardio has never made an issue about the regurgitation, so I asked him about the "trace regurgitation". He said that it is normal to have trace and common even for people with no heart or valve issues. You should discuss with your cardiologist, but there is probably a good reason that he has not mentioned your trace regurgitation as a concern. I don't believe it is something to worry about unless it progresses beyond trace.

Just found this online- hope it helps: "Trace regurgitation is a very mild leak of a heart valve, which occurs when a valve does not close tightly, allowing blood to leak backward in your heart. Nearly all of the normal population will have a finding of some trivial or mild degree of regurgitation of one, two or three heart valves on a normal echocardiogram. "
Here is the link for the above quote: Echocardiograms for Valvular Regurgitation May Be Overused.

Was wondering if it’s common to get multiple mechanical valves?
If I understand your question right, I don't think it's common but one can certainly have multiple mechanical valves (my wife has a mechanical aortic and mitral valve - and a pig valve for the pulmonary).

Does that change life expectancy or make you more at risk in regards to blood thinners?
Yes, it did in my wife's case, it saved her life.

Does that change life expectancy or make you more at risk in regards to blood thinners?
If you have more than 1 mechanical valve, especially if one is a mitral valve, your target INR range may be higher which may make you more susceptible to bleeding.

But reading my test I saw it says “trace mild regurgitation of pulmonary and mitral valve”
As others have already mentioned, there should not be a concern if you have trace to mild regurgitation (unless you have something else going on). Discussions for intervention usually come up when they are moderate to severe. Again, discuss with your Cardio.

Latest posts

Back