robotic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

It would be good if we could collect references to hospitals or doctors who are replacing valves by means of robotics as an alternative to traditional surgery. If you know a venue for this, and have any information about their rate of success or frequency of conducting these procedures, or anything related, please respond with that information. I think we'll be getting more and more questions about this option.

Here's a starter:

http://www.davincisurgery.com/surgeon-locator/?id=isi

I just did a google for "hospitals that do robotics cardiac surgery" and got many hits. From those, you can refine it to your area and then see which doctors are trained in the procedure/technology. Seems that there are a number of companies developing the technology, based on a search that I did. Because the technology is still fairly new and doctors are still being trained, it would be difficult to give a definitive list at this time, IMHO. However, the link above gives you a starter, for those surgeons using the da Vinci system. Hansen Medical has a system, but it appears that a hospital system may have acquired it recently.

Last edited:
DaVinci in the news

DaVinci in the news

ATS Medical and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Announce First Human Robotic Endoscopic Aortic Valve Replacement in the Midwest

MINNEAPOLIS, March 1, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- ATS Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATSI), manufacturer and marketer of state-of-the-art cardiac surgery products and services today announced the first human robot assisted endoscopic aortic valve replacement in the Midwest using the daVinci(R) Surgical System from Intuitive Surgical (Nasdaq: ISRG) to implant the ATS 3f (R) Aortic Bioprosthesis. The procedure was recently performed by Husam H. Balkhy, M.D., at the Wisconsin Heart Hospital in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Back