Rhino19 rocky road still hospital :(

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rhino19

I haven't logged on in a few days. My husband was scheduled to be released on Monday. The OHS went well besides the severity of the bacteria all was well. His recovery was going great and they literally had his paperwork ready to go. I got a call at work first thing Monday from him saying that during the night they put him back on oxygen his heart monitors went off and he was really depressed. Then an hour later I got the call he was coming home. I was like "what ????" so I called the nurse. She said that after surgery it is not uncommen to have a lower oxygen level during sleep because you are breathing lighter because of pain, she said that his monitors only showed irregular beats that he has been having, nothing major. Then I asked about his leg. He has been complaining since the angiogram about numbness, shooting pain, buring feeling and nobody has been listening. She said she would get it checked but he is coming home. When I got to the hospital the surgeon had been in his heart was great and he had signed off, his gp had signed off and his cardiologist called and said ok. Thank goodness we had a pushy nurse who listened, she called the cardiologist and told him he had to come in and look at his leg before he could sign him out. So he did, long story short already too late I know, after much apprehension, he ordered a doppler. He said it was just to make sure, he saw no signs of anything. The doppler came back with artery damage and leakage and now they are going in again and now operating on his leg on Thurs. Thank goodness I wasn't home and it ruptured. I guess the moral of this story is doctors really need to listen to their patients more and don't be afraid to sound repetitious you know how you feel.

Another quick not, we live in NW Indiana, that area hit by tornados and thankfull that our house is still up but we had major flooding in the basement and I lost my computer, so my logging on will be a little less, only from work. I am real glad my husband wasn't home for this mess, it would have sent his bloodpressure rising. Still cleaning and salvaging stuff and trying to get all done and sanatized before he comes home......................only human :)

I am so sorry- you have your hands full. I am so glad you persisted and didn't take your husband home before it was all checked out. He will be in our prayers and thoughts for the operation on Thursday and you will be in our prayers as well. Don't overwork yourself, you need to be in shape for his homecoming too!

Sorry to hear about the complications, I hope all goes very well for your husband and yourself. I have found like you said, you really have to push the doctors and nurses sometimes to listen to you.

Gary

Aren't you a saint to get online and give us your story!! Your husband is getting great care (now that you have been his best advocate).... who is going to take care of you???? You have gone through an emotional wringer and now your house has suffered some flooding? Please, please. If ever there was a time to call on all those people who have offered to help... it may be now! Let them prepare some meals for you, let them run some little errands for you. Anything at all to take a small edge off of this enormous undertaking you are experiencing. Don't underestimate the toll it is taking on your emotions, all this up and down. Be sure to grab a nap when you can.... sit away from things.... re-charge somehow. Be good to yourself.

Best wishes to your husband, too, of course!! His recovery will be slow at first, but then he should get his energy back little by little.

Hang in there! :)

Marguerite

You've really got your plate full!:eek:I think Marguerite is right on the mark when she asks if you've got anyone that can lend a hand right now. I hope tomorrow's procedure to repair the artery is successful, and this is soon a distant memory.

Take care of yourself. Sorry to hear about the complications. I also had femoral artery damage in my right leg after my surgery, but the complications didn't arise until eight months later. I am glad that they were able to find this damage right away and are able to fix it. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Best,
Debi (debster913)

I agree with everyone. Call someone that has offered to help and let them. You certainly have your hands full and hubby is not home yet. Get the rest while you can. I sure hope everything goes smoothly for his surgery to his leg. Prayers.

Jennifer

Jennifer

I too am glad to hear you are doing OK. I also want to applaud the rn that FORCED the issue so it didn't turn into a MAJOR catastrophy for you and Ryan. I know I rreally appreciated family taking Zachary for the week of the surgery.I even appreciated my Mother In Law :eek: being there to help after I came home. ASK FOR HELP!!! You got a lot on your plate now. Keep us posted.

I am so sorry for what you are faced with, but very happy that you got the doctors to listen and take notice of you...you should feel proud of yourself. I sure hope things get easier for you all from here on. (((((HUGS)))))

Feel sorry

Feel sorry

for the both of you. It's tough to be told you're going home then not and then to have more surgery. It's just as tough to go to work, then hospital, then home to clean up flood damage! I'm sorry that all I can do is send you my prayers and best wishes. Your courage and perseverance is an inspiration.

ps Don't worry if you get frustrated every once in a while. There have been nights I slept with one eye open in case my wife tried to smother me with a pillow:D

Good thing a "pushy" nurse did the right thing and got your husband a couple of extra days at your local "spa."

My husband had arrthymia and lymphedema (left leg) after his MV repair. That bought him an extra 3 days at the "spa." Took 4-6 months for the lymphedema to resolve; he was told it might NEVER completely go away, but it did. He had to keep that leg elevated for a very long time, to relieve the swelling. (Lasix and other diuretics do not help lymphedema.)
The lymphedema was at the left groin, where the surgeon inserted a catheter for helping with the minimally invasive surgery incision. (I think they sent a little camera in a very tiny space capsule with very teensy, tiny people to help the surgeon see what he was doing! Kinda like "Fantastic Voyage" from the 1960s. :D)

I think any time you feel you are not ready to come home from the hospital, you have the right to stop everything and refuse and make them address whatever the problems are.

They cannot send you home with an active condition. You have to stand your ground in a situation like that. Thank goodness for that nurse who was on the ball.

And if they try to discharge him again and you or your husband don't feel it is the right thing to do, just refuse until things are corrected.

Insurance wants to shovel you right out the door, ready or not. But you do have rights.

Sorry to hear of this bump in the road, but want to congratulate you for listening to your husband, and then making the docs listen to you! Great job! Prayers going out for you both. Hope things go well, and that you get some good help with the house! All the best, Brian Mc

rhino19 2nd surgery update

rhino19 2nd surgery update

Well they did surgery on his leg yesterday. It took about 4 hours way longer than anticipated. The surgeon came out with the "well when we got in there it was a little worse than we had thought" again. He said that he had been leaking blood, he had a hole in his femural artery and the blood had created a sac about the size of an orange. They drained the sack and sewed the artery but it had pushed all his nerves and stuff against the outside of his leg. He pealed those away from the wall and had to insert a drainage tube in his leg in fear that that now larger then normal opening in his leg would be a collection spot of other body fluids and we would be in the same spot we were in only not blood. He came out of this surgery not good. Weird to say but he is complaining more with this then his OHS last week. When I finally left last night he was still pretty out of it. I think that finally his emotions are catching up with him, totally understandable at this point. The few things he said yesterday were said with tears rolling down his face. I laid in bed last night and just thought enough is enough. If all goes well then he will be home Sat.............so................... I have better get on the basement we wouldn't want anything that would cause infections :( Thanks for all your support during this roller coaster of a ride as soon as he is home then I can honestly say we are on the other side of the mountain finally :)

I'm so sorry both of you are having to go through this. Thankfully it is now over and hopefully he will have a complication free recovery. He may be more emotional because of all that he has been through, but hopefully, once he gets home, things will look up. Good luck.

Kim

I'm glad that it is now behind him and hope that he feels much better today and that his recovery is uneventful. With all you have been through, I think it would be worth it to treat yourself to a professional cleaning service to take care of that basement! My thoughts and prayers will be with you both until you have him safely home.

I'm glad that your husband is back on his way to recovery -- and let's hope there's no more detours!
Keep us posted about his progress. Am keeping my fingers crossed that he can come home Saturday.
Just remember:
There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's ...

I'm sorry to read that yesterday's surgery turned out to be so long and involved. I can certainly understand why he is emotional. He's probably tired, both physically and mentally, besides dealing with the regular post op valve replacement issues.
I'll keep him in my prayers and hope that he is much better by tomorrow and is ready to go home.

Latest posts

Back